I had the PLF surgery on the left ear 18 days ago. Here is what made my Neurotologist suspect PLF.
- Valsalva induced vertigo
- Fistula pressure test induced vertigo
- no personal or family history of migraine activity
- I was able to hear a small about of fluid in the left ear at times
- I was doing lots of heavy lifting a few days before symptoms started
- Before surgery I always fell to the left during Romberg test, Quix test, and Singleton Turning test (I now test normal after surgery)
The surgeon didnt see any leaks during surgery, but this is very common because the leak is often microscopic. For the first few days after surgery, I still had the same symptoms as before surgery but they were magnified about 10 times worse. During the last 2 weeks I have got a little better, but still worse than before surgery. I have heard that this is a pretty common reaction, so I have to be patient. I feel that my balance is a little better, but I now have a constant slow spinning and rocking sensation that I never had before surgery, this could be endolymphatic hydrops. I might ask to try a diuretic.
The surgery is not a big deal really, I only had a little pain for a few hours after surgery. Then I had no pain at any point after that. But I would give the migraine meds a good try before doing surgery.