Feel worse on Migraine Diet

It has only been 4 days, but on the 3rd day I got a headache. Have not had one in a month.
On the 4th day, I feel dizzier and just wierd. Dizzy feeling is a bit different like spacey and foggy and disorientation that last a split second,
but is probably a wave of dizzy. Idk…

The only thing I can come up with is that I have had only about 500mg of sodium each day. That is extremely low.
I dont think I can be affected by it though in only 4 days…? But I haven’t felt this type of dizziness before.

Anyone else felt like this, or worse on diet?

BTW, I have done many diets before including low carb and never felt this.

K

Just a thought – are you getting enough protein. I always feel worse if I don’t have some protein with most meals.

Hi Kristina,
4 days is a very short trial to know really whether if it is what you changed (diet or meds) versus just the natural course of this ugly beast. I know we want to explain these changes in our brain with something but after a few years of MAV I have come to realize it is so unpredictable and not controllable sometimes… despite our best efforts.
Hang in there. And of course make sure you are getting enough protein, calories and all your nutrients with this limited and boring diet. I am on it too for years now.
Christine

Protein, cant think of a protein I can have in the first stages.
Eggs, milk, all meat, chicken, turkery, cheese, beans, whey protein, peanuts etc…

So no, no protein. From what I have read there is literally nothing to eat in the first 2 weeks.

Everyone has there thing they are good at, mine is nutrition and weight loss.

Honestly, this is ridiculous, Im done. Woke up with a headache again. Felt much better while eating whatever I wanted.

Not to mention my worst enemy is myself, as if something doesn’t make sense then its bs and if a trigger can last up to
4 days, then there is no reason on that 5th day you should have any food triggers. Lot of speculation, but in theory it
doesn’t add up to take months. Im so upset… I dont like gray areas!

Sorry for the rant.

Done… going to eat a real meal!

K

Hi Kristina

Sorry you’re having such a rough time. I don’t quite understand why you can’t eat protein though - which diet are you following? Buchholz’s, Dr S’s (sorry, UK doctor whose name I can’t recall), a mixture of the two or the actual very strict general Elimination diet? I’m imagining it must be the latter as your restrictions are so severe. Certainly on the Buchholz diet eggs and fresh meat and fish are allowed even early on.

I remember feeling absolutely dreadful when I started the migraine diet. I did give up wheat and dairy at the same though and that might have contributed to that. I think your body takes time to assimilate it’s new diet and process the changes it means to you both physically and mentally. Changes take place in brain chemistry too as a result of the altered diet and that may account for headaches, and weird feelings etc.

Have you decided enough is enough?

Hope you’re doing better.

Brenda

Thanks Brenda, I’ve done many diets and never had any problems, physically or mentally. Idk, coincidence maybe.

I checked several different migraine sites and most everyone said that chicken, turkey etc… can be triggers. I figured if Im going to do it,
I may as well do it right the first time and eliminate all. But this is so unhealthy that I said forget it. satrted with my cream of wheat, then said forget it and Had a piece of toast and 2 eggs for, and
captain crunch for lunch. I gave up easily because I dont believe food is the trigger for me.

Out of the 4 1/2 days I did this, I woke up with headaches on 2 sep. days. First one went away on its own around 4pm. Second one, today, went away after I ate and took 2 magnesium pills. Then came back a few hours later, before eggs.

Who knows anymore, Im getting more frustrated by the day.

Heck maybe its from upping my Nortriptyline… I have to check out the forum so I can remember when I did that! lol

Thanks guys,
K

Keep in mind that not eating can be a trigger as well, so if you’re trying desperately to follow the diet, but coming up short on what to eat and not eating significant meals because of it, that could be messing you up, too… (I gave up the diet because of that… Had such a hard time figuring out what I could eat when I was hungry, I wasn’t eating very well, and that was making things worse.)

Okay it wasn’t the diet, it makes sense now… I had a feeling this could be it, but after being on Mirena IUD for 2 weeks then taking out end of March, I wasn’t sure.

Its a girl thing. So now I can say since December this has happened. Looks like my extra dizzy/headache is menstrual. This really sucks because I got off my BC last July (been on for 11yrs) never had problems. I suspected this could be a contributer as well.

So far I have 5 possible ideas of why this started in the first place, maybe its no one thing, but a snowball of all of them all within the 3 month period.

Thanks!
K

Late to your thread,hope you are figuring things out.Just wanted to say that I think the minimum intake for salt should be around 1500mg a day as your body needs this much to function properly.

Thanks James. BTW I replied but wont go. But Thanks!!! So true. :smiley: