I’m interested in your experience of using Facebook Groups versus mvertigo.org (which uses the open-source Discourse engine but is a completely independent site).
Which do you prefer, and why?
I’m not encouraging you to use FB Groups, if you are content with the experience on mvertigo that’s great, but I’m sure some of you have tried both.
You don’t need to be gentle, I can take it
Be sure to click on the (anonymous) poll
I’ll kick off (feel free to disagree with my points and please add to them):
Pro’s of using mvertigo.org vs. Facebook
- Anonymous (compared to lack of privacy on FB)
- Useful information posted on mvertigo can be found on popular search engines by others
- Information can be a lot more organised as there is a good Categorisation system
- Search is easier
- No ads (assuming we get enough donations!)
- richer text, which uses standard markdown in case you are interested …
- a more comfortable, open layout
- easier to make and read longer posts
- “does everything have to be FB these days?”
- Extra effort to create and remember a separate account (somewhat mitigated through social logins - but these are not anonymous)
- An extra place to look for new posts in addition to all my other social notifications
- Costs extra time & money to run (but you can donate to help here).
- I prefer using mvertigo.org
- I prefer using one of the Facebook Groups
- I like using both equally
- I don’t intend to use Facebook for this condition