Eyes don’t keep up with my brain

There’s a need to attach a caveat to any VRT eye exercises and which relates to people who wear prescription spectacles, most particularly those who use varifocals or glasses which contain any sort (either vertical or horizontal) of prism. These type of spectacles are designed to be used looking straight ahead, ie it is usual practice to turn your head to align your eyes, and lens with your target. Looking through ‘off centre’, as you might call because you are turning your eyes rather than your head, distorts, and can make people very nauseous, and dizzy. Because eyes and balance are so closely intertwined it can knock one’s balance out completely. I have yet to find a VRT therapist, Balance Physio or Alexander Technique operative who understands that much to my cost I’m afraid. Helen

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Varifocals! :nerd_face:

@Dave I think I may have the same thing as you. I have problems with my eyes like they are not synchronized with my head movements.

1 Like

Most probably because, at the moment, they are not. Very typical MAV symptom. Pretty horrid feeling I appreciate. Been there often,

1 Like

This happens to my right eye mostly if I try to focus or pursuit something fast like scrolling text on my phone my optic nerve plus the muscles feel like they stretch and this extends to my right temple.

My right eye is always worse than my left, too.

Me too… too bloody often :roll_eyes:

How is this connected with VM/MAV? I just dont believe its the cause.

My personal belief is that MAV is simply chronic instability in the vestibular system. Nystagmus is just misfiring of an eye reflex which usually fires when a threshold of head movement is reached. Add instability into the vestibular system and you get misfires or the eye moves more than appropriate for a specific movement.

Remember, MAV is a diagnosis (categorisation). A ‘diagnosis’ is not the same as an ‘aetiology’.

Muscles feeling stretched like that could be result of light sensitivity. I’ve had that.

1 Like

Me too… I still do, now and then.

1 Like

Or you are simply fighting against the nystagmus.

I believe its some kind of damage to vestibular system or brain. Currently my whole head/face feels stretchy. I cant f*cking see a random slow scrolling with both eyes opened, with one eye only is easier. They dont work together and they cant go back to the starting point fast and smoothor even focus rapidly to different things. Taht was so easy for me (gaming requires this ability)

I get the feeling without the nystagmus.

Sure. All part of the same spectrum I suspect.

You’re going to have to stop gaming until meds get you back to a more controlled state.

1 Like

I am not for 4 months now I only play on my phone a card game and watching series/movies.

I’ve never had it with nystagmus. Personally I‘ve always found it associated with light sensitivity. To date that’s the only time I ever had eye pain or facial muscle pain (no classic migraines me). Any reaction to eye tracking, scrolling ie visual vertigo, for me always turns my stomach over and causes nausea but individuals vary.

2 Likes

Yes this has been my most persistent symptom, it is very debilitating I agree.
For me it has been Amitriptiline that has helped me and almost taken this away, it’s greatly lessened this symptom. It took time though I’ve worked up to 35mg and been on the meds for nearly 5 months now. It wasn’t a quick fix and the symptoms are still there but much less debilitating. I had this for 18 months before I found a doctor who knew what it was. I hope this helps, best of luck to you. Tight neck and shoulder muscles don’t help either, I’m not sure they cause the problem but they contribute to it

2 Likes

@jess38 do you find any relief if you close one of your eyes?