Eye prescription

Hi,

Does anyone else have a problem getting their eye prescription to feel right?

I put on old glasses in the morning when getting ready, then contact lenses in and despite 10 million opticians telling me it’s the correct prescription, they don’t feel right… Too strong maybe., and I feel dizzier with the lenses ! Though I can’t wear the glasses as they’re a really old prescription and bent!

Iv had some new specs made up which should be ready soon, but I just wondered if getting a eye prescription right was difficult in other people with mav?

L x

yes, I have trouble with glasses. Mostly because the periphery is so different from the actual lens, whereas contacts are great for me. It’s been this way my whole life. Also, I saw two optometrists, an opthamologist, and a neuroo-opthamologist because I was certain my vision was a part of this. Turns out, it wasn’t. It was how my brain was perceiving my vision. The meds helped me with all that.
Kelley

Same here! This all started with me saying something was off on my vision. I got new glasses (which I don’t prefer to wear bc I am so used to contacts), and even trialed daily contacts thinking maybe my eyes were dry. I can definitely tell my vision is off when I am more dizzy, but it comes and goes. I am trialing an additional med (amitriptyline) in addition to the beta blocker, and have actually taken a couple steps back. I am hoping this is normal and will pass as I continue to take it. Besides feeling like I am floating I have noticed my vision is blurry yet again.

L, are you saying that the contacts feel wrong or the glasses? I would be interested to know if people with MAV find contacts more comfortable than glasses, as nearly every time I have my glasses made up, I end up taking them back saying the perscription is wrong and they end up reducing it. In fact, one time, they changed them twice and sternly told me they would only change them one more time (cant blame them) so I had the old perscription put back in so I could wear the new glasses!

I had migraine every day for a whole week after a new perscription. I once went and had 3 eye tests at 3 different opticians in the same week and each one gave me a different perscription. Just this last 2 months I had one eye test and pair of glasses from one opticians. Found they made me dizzy. Went to another optician and they just upped the magnification in one eye and didnt mess with the astigmatism (is that the right word) and I find these much more comfortable. I think there can also be a difference between plastic lenses and polycarbonates. The opticians told me polys cause more trouble with dizziness. I wear rimless so polycarbs but find them OK.

Christine

— Begin quote from “rockyksmom”

yes, I have trouble with glasses. Mostly because the periphery is so different from the actual lens, whereas contacts are great for me. It’s been this way my whole life. Also, I saw two optometrists, an opthamologist, and a neuroo-opthamologist because I was certain my vision was a part of this. Turns out, it wasn’t. It was how my brain was perceiving my vision. The meds helped me with all that.
Kelley

— End quote

Phew. I was so relieved to know it’s not just me! But funny you should say you get on with contacts better… I guess we are all different. But mainly, thank you fir telling me your meds helped… I was very pleased to read that as I wondered if this will def be how my vision is forever! Thank u x

— Begin quote from “jenh21”

Same here! This all started with me saying something was off on my vision. I got new glasses (which I don’t prefer to wear bc I am so used to contacts), and even trialed daily contacts thinking maybe my eyes were dry. I can definitely tell my vision is off when I am more dizzy, but it comes and goes. I am trialing an additional med (amitriptyline) in addition to the beta blocker, and have actually taken a couple steps back. I am hoping this is normal and will pass as I continue to take it. Besides feeling like I am floating I have noticed my vision is blurry yet again.

— End quote

All my migraine probes started looking back, ( no pun intended! ) with vision probs… And it’s such a crap symptom to have as you simply can’t get away from it! Sorry to hear your amitriptyline isn’t helping too much yet… Must be disheartening but it takes a while doesn’t it? How long have you been on it? I really hope it starts to work soon x

Hi Christine,

Thanks for ur reply.

The contacts feel wrong… The glasses feel wrong too but that’s cos the prescript is old! I should pick up my new ones soon so will be interesting to see if they feel ok or not.

I can totally sympathise with you about taking them back saying they’re too strong! I did this too. But I wondered if we are just more sensitive to a prescription change than others…

It’s worrying that opticians can give different prescriptions… I saw 3 in a few weeks too, but the prescription remained the same.

I do think an eye test is also hard because sometimes they ask if the letter looks more clear on one or the other and it’s sort of subjective!

Do you have a strong prescript? Mine is -5.50 and -5.25

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

L, are you saying that the contacts feel wrong or the glasses? I would be interested to know if people with MAV find contacts more comfortable than glasses, as nearly every time I have my glasses made up, I end up taking them back saying the perscription is wrong and they end up reducing it. In fact, one time, they changed them twice and sternly told me they would only change them one more time (cant blame them) so I had the old perscription put back in so I could wear the new glasses!

I had migraine every day for a whole week after a new perscription. I once went and had 3 eye tests at 3 different opticians in the same week and each one gave me a different perscription. Just this last 2 months I had one eye test and pair of glasses from one opticians. Found they made me dizzy. Went to another optician and they just upped the magnification in one eye and didnt mess with the astigmatism (is that the right word) and I find these much more comfortable. I think there can also be a difference between plastic lenses and polycarbonates. The opticians told me polys cause more trouble with dizziness. I wear rimless so polycarbs but find them OK.

Christine

— End quote

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

I thought I was going crazy when I got my new glasses, as they felt super strong. I did get a pair with a darker frame, so that annoys me because I feel like I am looking through binoculars. The next pair I get will be frameless! I do find though that I prefer my contact lenses because everything you look at is in focus whereas glasse keep only the area in focus that you are looking through. My eye doctor did say that when you get used to wearing contact lenses, going to glasses can feel weird because of how far the fram sits away from your eyes.

— End quote