Exercise / delayed dizziness uptick

After a long and very hard (by my standardsā€¦) workout, Iā€™ve had a delayed increase in overall dizziness, and itā€™s lingering into the third day now. Iā€™d like to know if anyone can relate.

Detail: Iā€™ve known for a long time that even fairly mild exercise usually sets me off ā€“ wears me out quickly, and tends to raise the degree of dizziness / unsteadiness I feel, for a while.

On Friday eve I did something far tougher anything Iā€™ve done before ā€“ I and a friend went walking ā€“ up a stairwell (inside), multiple times. In total, we walked up 40 floors of stairs in maybe 70, 80 minutes. Wonā€™t go into the ā€œwhyā€ right now but there was a reason.

Not one with much stamina, I got winded a number of times, and it was hard, but at the time, my head was actually doing a pretty OK job handling it (not normal in itself). Felt pretty okay the rest of the night. ā€¦ But come Saturday, then the dizziness ramped up, and it still persists.

Anyone here done something that physically pushed you way beyond what youā€™re used to doing ā€“ and then have a delayed dizziness that begins the day after? ā€¦ And is there any way to ā€œgaugeā€ how long I could expect the increase to last?

Thanks for any input,
George

I am very exercise intolerant - so much so that I now hardly do any.

My physio recommended I join a gym and started exercising, but this only made me a lot worse.

The dizziness would be delayed for me until the day after and would ordinarily last 3 or 4 days. Sometimes as long as a week. As with everything about MAV, your mileage may vary.

Depending on what I do, I sometimes feel symptoms as soon as I"m finished w/ a workout, or an hour or so thereafter. Other times it does seem to hit the next day. I can do things like walk stairs, take walks or bike rides and generally dnā€™t have trouble, but a weight/aerobic workout will sometimes trigger dizziness/troubleā€“because I exert more doing that.

Obviously we are pushing our limits w/ exertion, hence the dizziness, etc get worseā€¦but I still think in the long run, my myself, itā€™s best to try to continue to exercise ā€¦ I cannot let my vestibular disorder ruin my life anymore than it already has, and thankfully I am mostly functional (but almost all of the time, I have uncomfortable symptoms)ā€¦so I think the best way to retrain my brain, etc is to push and keep doing things.

My ENT has diagnosed me w/ MAV, However he did not do any testing or scans (yet) so Iā€™m not sure of the diagnosis.

Hi George,
I find that when I push too hard (e.g. during circuit training) then the dizziness can start to ramp up. Dr. S says to avoid pushing too hard during exercise - mild exercise is ok, but anaerobic is not. And, based on experience, I think heā€™s right - pushing too hard really does seem to aggravate the MAV. Others may find theyā€™re OKā€¦?
Tony.

Hi George,

I find that something that really depletes my stamina in a bad way - for example, keep pushing when you know youā€™re body is saying no! Makes me feel bad.

I have CFS too so Iā€™ve been used to pacing myself for many years. I do aerobic exercise such as Zumba, but as itā€™s danced based to music there are small intervals to get your breath back. I always make sure Iā€™m well hydrated and have eaten prior to it and continue to drink during and then have a meal within an hour afterwards.

Bev

I realise Iā€™m resurrecting a two month old thread but Iā€™m really interested in whether delayed onset dizziness after exercise is a common MAV symptom. I visited a friend over the weekend and walked approximately 2 miles on Saturday and 2 miles on Sunday. I felt bad yesterday but today (Tuesday) I feel terrible - my dizziest day in months. Itā€™ll probably now take me several days to reach baseline again.

Yes! I havenā€™t been able to without since last September. Iā€™ve always loved to run, but it got to the point where once I finished my run I would have to lie down for 30-45 minutes to let my head settle. Then I would feel bad the rest of the evening. I just had to quit, which has been such a bummer for so many reasons!! I keep hoping that I will take a turn for the better any day nowā€¦Iā€™ve never had a spell that lasted months on end like this. I need to exercise to help me deal with the frustration of feeling so bad so often, so not being able to without feeling terrible after is a huge bummer!! After 10 years of symptoms, I finally just went to Duke Medical Center and had multiple tests done in the audiology and vestibular department. After being told for years that I had hydrops and migraine issues, Iā€™ve now been told that my inner ears are not to blame at all and that itā€™s all migraine related. I am to start 10 mg of Amitriptyline at night to see if it helps. ??? At any rate, I feel your frustration and just wanted you to know youā€™re not alone. Iā€™m a 39 year old mother of 2 young children, and have been battling this for what feels like forever now. I always tell myself that other people are suffering from so much worse, but there are definitely days where this thing just leaves me wiped out. Good luck to you!!

1 Like

Hi there! I find I have to be very careful when I work out. I used to work out pretty hard and have really had to tone it down. In the past if I didnā€™t feel too good, some exercise would always leave me feeling energised and good to go. Not now. Now if Iā€™m not so great I know itā€™ll wipe me out for the rest of the day-and maybe the next day. I also have young children so think just day to day life requires plenty of activity so I need tp watch what Iā€™m doing on top. Mentally Iā€™ll feel rubbish if I donā€™t do something so Iā€™m learning how far to push myself. On crappy days I find yoga helps a lot. It can get your heart going going just a bit and muscles working, but also the deep breathing etc really helps. I believe we all need to be doing some degree of exercise to help the condition.

1 Like

@MrHeathcliff. Reading your recent post brought this thread to mind. It seems true MAVers do experience delayed reactions to strenuous exercise. As @turnitaround says Dr S recommends no undue exertion and I read many times various consultants stating both migraine and MAV brains prefer everything to remain constant/unchanged, ie the regular meals, regular routine, contistent levels of exercise. Helen

2 Likes