The Vestibular Migraine & Secondary Hydrops Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Eustachian tube dysfunction and migraine [HYH snippet]

Snippet from “heal your headache” book on Eustachian tube dysfunction. I think this book has a lot of good detail for MAVers.

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

“Heal Your Headache”
More recommended books here

Sounds compelling, but what starts the migraines?

And clearly less compelling for those with uni-lateral rather than bi-lateral symptoms.

And also not compelling as a root cause for people who’ve had this symptom long before any migraines.

However, you can imagine there is potential here for a vicious cycle and no matter what started the migraines, these symptoms worsen the situation because they impact the pressure in the ear? Then you turn migraine into MAV?

Thanks for sharing this GetBetter…I suffer from blocked ears and ear pressure all the time. It’s interesting that he says this is because blood vessels in the mucous membranes are swollen - does he say what drugs are appropriate to “shrink” these blood vessels? Sudafed resolves this problem for me as it is a vasoconstrictor and therefore shrinks blood vessels but as you know this cannot be used on an ongoing basis because long term use can damage your vasculature. So this does doc offer the names of any drugs that shrink blood vessels that can be “safely” used long term. I specifically asked my neuro this, given how Sudafed resolves this particular symptom for me, but he didn’t know any drug that can do this. He started talking about beta blockers (specifically Propanolol and Candesartan) but I am sure these are vasodilators rather than vasoconstrictors - you would imagine that a vasodilator type drug would worsen a problem caused by engorged blood vessels anyway…I guess that’s why neither of those drugs took away that symptom or any symptom for me. As far as I know any of the abortive meds eg the triptans are vasoconstrictors and that explains why they are successful…they act by shrinking engorged blood vessels but again these can’t be used on an ongoing basis. It would also be interesting to hear that doc’s opinion on why drugs like Ami or Venlafaxine have success in addressing MAV (all symptoms incl ear symptoms) as I don’t think those drugs act by shrinking blood vessels…
Thanks
Karen

The superficial answer is always “because they are migraine prophylaxis drugs” but this doesn’t begin to describe the detailed process behind that and is just based on correlation between application and symptoms, presumably, rather than a bottom up analysis.

It’s interesting to note that a lot of these drugs reduce mucus output … that is why dry mouth is a side effect … you have to wonder if that has a bearing …

Reduces mucus output - you could be onto something there…it reminded me that my neuro is a migraine sufferer (episodic now but was chronic for about 3 months) and he mentioned to me recently that he takes an antihistamine daily - at the time I didn’t enquire why he takes one but I must ask him the next time…antihistamines dry up mucus for sure…

Venlafaxine definitely dries you out - I suffer dry mouth anyway but when I was on Ven recently the dry mouth was so so bad.

Yep, the use of anti-histamines gets discussed here occasionally, probably should create it’s own sub category:

But back to Antidepressants for a second:

Amitriptyline is a particularly effective drug.

We know it calms the brain, we know its a vestibular suppressant, we know it reduces nausea, we know it reduces pain and we know it reduces mucus output … no wonder that’s a go-to prescription!!

Hi Karen,
You are talking about topical action in terms of vasodilation and vasoconstrcitors. But if Propanolol and Candesartan can control the migraine then that should help with the ETD as well. Anything that works on the migraine should help resolve ETD caused by migraine.

If only Ami didn’t cause my heart to race…I might have had some success…it was the 2nd drug I tried but GP took me off it after 6 days…I wonder if Nortriptyline would have the same heart effects?

“But back to Antidepressants for a second:
Amitriptyline is a particularly effective drug.
We know it calms the brain, we know its a vestibular suppressant, we know it reduces nausea, we know it reduces pain and we know it reduces mucus output … no wonder that’s a go-to prescription!!”

Does Venlafaxine act on in this way also? If I am not fixed from the sinus surgery, I might try Ven again…

Can you tell me how to copy a portion of a message and paste it into mine…thanks

Highlight the portion of the message you wish to quote. A little “Quote” box should appear above what you highlighted. Click on that “Quote” box and it will paste what you highlighted into a reply. Here’s a screenshot:

Got it…thx a mill