Essential Oils for MAV?

Hi so I have been dealing with vestibular migraines since September and was just recently been diagnosed. My doctor put me on topamax for about 8 weeks now and have seen a lot of improvement, but I am still having daily symptoms of dizziness and nausea. I take zofran and lorazepam daily to help with those continually symptoms. one of my friends told me about essentials oils like peppermint, ginger and frankincense to help with these types of symptoms. Has anyone tried essential oils and had any success?

Magnesium Oil is sometimes mentioned too, as Magnesium is best absorbed through the skin rather than having pills. You can apply it to your head and/or body, wait at least 20 minutes, then wash it off. Or have a Magnesium Oil bath.

There are some naturopathic elements to the advice surrounding Magnesium, and possibly not a lot of evidence associated with it working. You may wish to check with your medical practitioner before boosting your Magnesium levels, but I believe there is little harm in it.

I cannot claim any personal knowledge about the effectiveness of the oils, but it is probably worth a try as long as you personally don’t have a problem with scents. Some people apparently can be made worse by certain strong odors.
Because I have it growing in the garden, I always keep a sprig of 2 of Rosemary (apparently good for preventing headaches) on hand and give it a sniff on and off - but cannot claim any real effects except smelling good.

Just remember when buying to make sure you get a genuine essential oil - not a synthetic scent as these can have a bad effect on anyone!. A good rule of thumb is that if the label includes the Latin name - it is probably genuine.

German Chamomile essential oil is a nice relaxing one, and Ginger TEA is meant to help with nausea. Suggest you try one oil at a time and see if they help. Good luck, and remember to share if if find one that helps you.

The nausea sucks the most, right? I haven’t really needed more than Amitriptyline but had nausea breakthrough for about two weeks in 8 months of taking the drug. I’ve also heard that peppermint oil is good.

I’m hooked on ginger and liquorice tea (Twining’s ‘Spiced Ginger’). I have about 8 cups a day. I wonder if that’s helping me?

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Who knows? Certainly doing no harm, especially as it’s a good brand and you’re unlikely to getting any other garbage mixed in. Both ginger and liquorice are good for digestion and nausea. Must see if that’s available here - or make my own - very fond of fennel (close cousin of Liquorice)…just add a bit 'o ginger :slight_smile:

Peppermint is good for lots of things! Also keeps mice etc at bay , to that I can attest …just in case you have have mouse problem :grin:

1 Like

Yeah try that tea it’s delish!

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice! I am going to try the oils through doterra hopefully i’ll get some relief I want to get off the zofran and lorazepam. I’ll keep you all posted on how it goes!

1 Like

I take a strong Epsom salt and lavender bath every night before bed and it’s fantastic for relaxation and.boosting magnesium level a which is known to help migraines.

Beware of herbal teas; many people find tannins trigger migraines and I have had to cut out MANY of my favorite teas: hibiscus, mint, chamomile, for starters. Safe teas (no tannins) for me have been ginger and rooibos.

Also, there are tannins in certain herbs and spices, so just make note of any reactions you might not be aware of: cinnamon, cloves, thyme, oregano, tarragon. All of these above are probably moot for those who are not super-sensitive.

Good luck!

Shazam

1 Like

So i can’t handle the smell but i can take it internally which has helped the last two days. Every time i applied it topically i suffered a migraine.

That can be a problem with essential oils, but as long as you are getting relief somehow - all is good!
I don’t want to be a know-it-all, but I presume you are taking the oils internally on instructions? Some oils are very strong and not recommended for internal use. Just stay safe and hoping get better soon!

Yes I also have Vistibular migraines and I use head ease essential oil. It helps with feeling nauseous. I’m also on meds and I do a lot of vitamins. My vertigo has been bad the last two weeks. They are trying to get it down. I have not driven since June of 2016.

I just wanted to share a quick update with the essential oils I started taking frankincense, ginger, peppermint and lavender internally about 3 drops each in a veggie cap for the last 2 weeks and I have been able to ween off lorazepam and zofran which I have been on both for the last 2 1/2 months. I stopped taking both on Friday so its only been 3 days, but I starting to believe in the oils. I take veggie cap in the morning and at night. I’m still dizzy and nauseous but it seems to be helping and i’m excited to be getting off the lorazepam.

Frankincense: vertigo and dizziness
Ginger and peppermint: nausea
lavender: anxiety

1 Like

Great to hear that you are doing well and been able to come off the meds! Keep us posted on your progress.

I use poy-sian. It’s a combination of eucalyptus oil, menthol, camphor, and Borneol. It comes in little inhalers. You can buy a pack of 6 on Amazon for $5 something. It’s from Thailand so it takes a couple of weeks to come in the mail.
It really helps me get through work. It’s temporary relief but at least it’s some relief. It is similar to white flower oil.

Forgot to mention it’s also great for clearing your sinuses if you are congested.

The last two weeks have been bad! My vertigo has been horrible. I barely get through work. I don’t know what has changed. I’m on Topamax 100mg at night and Amitriptyline 50mg. Verapamil ER in AM. Has anyone else had issues lately with weather changes? I do have a doctor appointment on Monday at UW. I’m at my wits end. I still not driving it’s been a year.