The Vestibular Migraine & Secondary Hydrops Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Draft poll for supplements

thanks

Anyone else have a passionate view either way? What do people believe would be most useful for users of the site as far as being able to have takeaways from the poll results?

My vote would be to keep it to the individual ingredients, as opposed to manufacturers’ blends. Products come and go (and their formulations can be changed) all the time. Better to stick to the individual ingredients and then people can recommend their favorite “blends” in the comments.

Plus, many products aren’t available in all countries, or their formulations might be different in different countries.

@Manatee , I agree. @flutters We could also put the brands in the ratings category when we implement it (still waiting for that plug-in code to mature a little so we don’t have any issues upgrading) You will be able to showcase, review and rate your helpful products there.

• Butterbur
  • Calcium
  • Carnitine
  • Coq10
  • Feverfew
  • Ginger
  • Ginko Biloba
  • Grapeseed
  • Lipoic Acid
  • Liquorice
  • Magnesium
  • Omega 3 (e.g. Fish Oil)
  • Peppermint Oil
  • Potassium Gluconate
  • Probiotics
  • St. John’s Wort
  • Turmeric
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B2
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin D
  • Zinc

OK, in no particular order - is that a good selection guys? Any ingredient omissions? Have we covered nausea, e.g. Peppermint oil?

Definitely separate Vitamin B2 from Vitamin B12. Two completely different things.

I’ve never seen it called “Q10” but it probably is the same thing as CoQ10. I suggest you list it as:
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)

Vitamin A needs to be there.

Updated the above draft … anymore?

On top of some of the ones listed above I also take:

Potassium
Turmeric
Probiotic

I’ve found these three coupled with CoQ10 and Magnesium really help

@BHMaloney happy to add - could you be specific about the exact Potassium salt you are taking?

And also the probiotic (what strain does it contain). There are different probiotics - there’s one that helps prevent yeast infections in women and my guess is that it’s not the same as the one you are probably taking… :slight_smile:

Sure thing! I take Potassium Gluconate:

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

Potassium Gluconate

For Probiotics I take BioSchwartz 40 Billion CFU Probiotic (honestly no clue what any of that means - but the probiotic works!)

BioSchwartz Probiotic

Hi James,

I found this supplement(Alpha Lipoic Acid) from the facebook group and other migraine forums and many users vouched for it. This one improves insulin sensitivity and helpful for migraine in general.

If it is not too late can you add Alpha-Lipoic Acid to the list please

@turnitaround Ginger? esp for the nausea. I would just lump all forms (teas, mints, candies/chews, supplement capsules, etc.) under just ginger, but that’s just me.

Updated the draft above

@BHMaloney thank you for your suggestions, added Potassium, Turmeric and ‘Probiotics’ … was a little worried about the latter, but they have a wiki page so have included

Anything else before we go live people?

for me, add in
Calcium
Zinc
feverfew
Curcumin (turmeric)
L-Carnitine
Vitamin C
vitamin b2
fish and omega oils
probiotics

oh and vitamin D

A lot of these were already included :slight_smile:

What type of Calcium and Zinc - what is their full name?

Are you referring to Omega 3? Isn’t Omega 3 same as fish oil?

I think you could just say “calcium.” There are several different types (calcium carbonate and calcium citrate are probably the most common) but I’m not sure it matters as far as its effects.

Same for Magnesium?

Unless there’s a clearly best form.