Dr S has put me on this diet and prescribed 10 mg of nortriptlyne

Are you on any medicine?

Not any more. Was on Ami 20mg for 1.5 years though.

1 Like

Oh mate, your the one i was looking for lol, how long you been of it? Did you have any symptoms when you stop taking it? Iā€™m scared to take the tablets!!! Can you please let me know how did it go with the tablets please?

1 Like

Been off it for 1.5 years.

https://www.mvertigo.org/t/attempting-amitriptyline-at-various-mav-stages/13966/2?u=turnitaround

Donā€™t worry about Nort or Ami, they are pretty easy drugs to take unless your doctors tells you they are contradicted due to some other health condition you have.

2 Likes

Do you think itā€™s easy to be on them for a couple of years and then go off of them easy without any affects? How long have you been off of it?

1 Like

I hope to come off Amitriptyline eventually. From what I gather itā€™s not too bad to come off, especially if you go slow and titrate down over several months. Easier than coming off an SSRI like Paxil (which I did).

I highly recommend trying Amitriptyline, I donā€™t seem to have any side effects at my current 25mg dose, other than slightly slower bowel. It hasnā€™t changed my dreams, no dry mouth, no sexual side effects, and no weight gain. So far seems to be a good med for me.

5 Likes

I agree absolutely with @ander454. I know our forum population isnā€™t really representative scientifically but from what Iā€™ve read on here I often wonder why doctors donā€™t just try Ami first for anybody diagnosed with MAV as standard. It seems to work quicker than most. You should see some results within a month, some are lucky to see some improvement wthin days. At low doses I understand itā€™s far easier to start up on/get off than the more modern ADs like Effexor. I just donā€™t get it why itā€™s not first resort for more. Helen

3 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s exactly why Ami should be the first option (unless contradicted for some reason).

3 Likes

Agreed! :raised_hands:t2: I didnā€™t realize at the time how fortunate I was that the first medication (and only) I was prescribed was Ami. It has treated me so well. After being on this forum for some months, I see how many different approaches physicians take. Iā€™d say for me the one and only issue I have is weight gain. Iā€™ve gone up one size but now that Iā€™m more stable on my feet, Iā€™ve been working toward getting those lbs off.
Iā€™ll happily trade disabling vertigo for a few extra pounds! :raising_hand_woman:t3:

3 Likes

Hello Naejohn, i started taking Nortriptlyne 2 days ago. My tinnitus is a bit louder and i feel confused and a bit dizzy, more than normal. Are these side effects or should i just go on different medicine?
Thank you

Hi nicholas12. I felt so much worse for a couple of weeks after starting nort and then it settled down. All my symptoms got worse. Every time I increased a dose it did the same, but it has sorted me out in the end. It takes time. I learned that every time I was going to bump it up, I had to write off a couple of weeks.

Everyone seems to respond differently, and some people donā€™t get on with it. Iā€™d say give it a bit of time yet- there are no quick fixes! But it takes a while to see if it makes a difference for you. My doctor said it takes a good 4-6 weeks to feel any benefit from each increment. Which I felt was correct for me, whereas others feel benefits more quickly- others donā€™t at all.

3 Likes

Thank you so much Scottl, are you off medicine now? And if yes what was the effects stop taking it?
Thank you

Iā€™ve just recently started tapering down and so far I havenā€™t had any noticeable side effects. Iā€™m going really slowly though. If I do get any Iā€™ll let you know.

2 Likes

Cheers mate, just let me know roughly when you going to stop and i will text you around that time :+1:t2::+1:t2:

A post was split to a new topic: Anyone out there suffering from vestibular migraines too?

Iā€™m not sure. Maybe 4-6 months. Iā€™ve rushed it before and have learned from that. Iā€™ll keep you posted!

Hello Lucy, how you getting on with medicine? Do you feel any better? I ve started Nortriptlyne!!! Itā€™s a bit affective but im gonna give it a chance for a couple of weeks.

Hello Scott
What happened when you rushed it?

Hi Nicolas, are you getting side effects? What dosage are you on and are you titrating up?
Iā€™m now on 40 mg. not seen any change yet but only 3 months in. Dr S said to give it more time and stay on it even if Iā€™m not seeing any changes yet.

I just relapsed a bit. Started getting rocking sensation and other symptoms.