Cymbalta increase - any thoughts?

I started taking one 30mg pill per day, and then increased to 2 30mg pills per day (one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.) I was feeling okay.
My new prescription is 1 60mg pill, taken once at night. This is my second day taking it this way, and while the dose didn’t necessarily change - I feel like I have taken a step back (dizzy, out of it feeling).

Has anyone had the same experience? I feel like maybe going back to the 30 in the a.m. and 30 in the p.m. will make me feel better? I am just confused because it technically is the same dose.

Hi

I haven’t taken this ever but couple of thoughts come to mind regarding drug taking generally because, like most migraine sufferers, I’m very med sensitive.

A). If you are only on yr second day of new regime, perhaps really it’s too early to say for sure what is causing yr increased systems. MAV symptoms can vary day to day, hour to hour so just maybe pure coincidence or it’s just that yr body has got used to the new pattern yet.

B) Are both strengths produced by the same manufacturer. Strength has to be as stated howver different manufacturers do use different coatings or binding agents so despite being ‘the same’, they are possibly
In some respect different. My husband takes drugs for high blood pressure but has found more than one brand that doesn’t work for him despite all pills being same strength.

C) Are both strengths ‘delayed release’ designed to give continuous cover. The 60 mg to be taken once daily must surely be but maybe the others are short-action. If that’s the case you may now be taking slightly less.
Ask the pharmacist.

It’s worth discussing with yr medic soon as you can if it persists. Maybe it would be better to revert. Ask their advice.

Although I was on Paxil, I was also very sensitive to the time I took it, or if I changed the dose. The Psychiatrist of course had never seen someone so sensitive to small changes and so he just told me it was placebo. Coming off it he put me on liquid form so I could slowly taper, but just changing to the liquid form made my dizziness and anxiety worse. Eventually bought a microgram scale and just crushed the pills everyday to taper off.

My bet is that your body will adjust though, because Cymbalta seems to be working for you at the 2 times a day dose, it might just take a few weeks or more. I really get it though, it sucks to wait 3-6 weeks to see if it gets better.

I would suggest that taking 30mg twice a day was the best option because you then have a constant supply of the med in your system, no huge peaks and troughs. This is how I take my topiramate by cutting my tablet in half and this works well for me. It makes sense to me that if you take the med all at once, even slow release, you are going to have differing levels in your bloodstream and because we are sensitive to meds it will only take a small change to make a big difference to the efficacy of the med.

1 Like

Please check with your pharmacist on this. In general, “slow release” tablets should not be cut. That could cause a huge amount of medication to be released all at once.

Here is a Consumer Reports article that discusses when it is safe to split pills. Note this quote from the article:

“Chemotherapy drugs and those that require stable daily blood levels, such as antiseizure medication, birth-control pills, and blood thinners, should never be split.”

https://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/is-it-safe-to-split-pills-in-half/

1 Like

I wasn’t actually suggesting you cut slow release tablets, just making the point that taking two doses of 30mg was clearly the better option as it had not caused side effects. My tablets are not slow release so there is no problem there, but thank you for the information.

Thanks everyone!
I am going to try and wait it out. I think I am adjusting to the new dose. Also, I am trying to make some changes in my diet that could help me.

1 Like