The Vestibular Migraine & Secondary Hydrops Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Current treatment options in VM

Written in 2014, and bookmarked by me the next year, lost from my consciousness for a year or two and recently rediscovered I thought to share. Strangely enough I don’t recall anybody on here who takes Lamotrigine. Helen

5 Likes

oh … really?!

I thought we mvertigates had concluded this was not the case? 1 PERCENT?!

I take lamotrigine to prevent seizures. It didn’t prevent the onset of MAV. Look forward to reading - thanks.

That is interesting. It doesn’t seem widely prescribed for MAV.

When you think about it I don’t suppose it could because the so called preventatives only - if we’ve lucky - prevent the symptoms, not the root cause. Nobody’s yet discovered that. Helen

1 Like

Yes, we have. Perhaps we should carry out a more thorough investigation ‘officially’ and publish it somehow. Goodness knows where ‘they’ get this figure from unless ‘they’ mean vestibular, ie particularly ‘dizziness, ’ symptoms during acute attacks, perhaps many migraineurs get that? As we’ve discussed many times before there just cannot be that many people with 24/7 dizziness wandering around. Just cannot be 1% of the general population,

I know UK GPs/ENT were of no help to me but it must surely be because it is not that common an occurrence. After they undergo many years training and they are not stupid, far from it, and if it was common many more would recognise it when they saw it. They are after all medical ‘experts’ and do deal so well with all common ailments, ie heart troubles, cancer, BP, Diabetes, arthritis, hernias etc etc. Not often they fail to recognise them. All the GPs I saw were mature, many years on general practice so it cannot be that common. A woman with headache-less vertigo attacks that look like ‘migraine’ minus the headache who then develops 24/7 dizziness. I guess nobody recognised any connection/condition it could possibly be because they’d never come across it before. Even the neuro-otologist I saw mentioned in his correspondence ‘the few cases I’ve seen before’. I suspect it’s getting more common, most probably due to increased lifestyle associated stress, the ongoing extensive use of computer, and female personal trainers, and people ‘working out’ excessively hard trying to ‘keep fit’. Helen

You can see exactly how this number was arrived at in the original study:

They are not saying that 1% of the population has chronic MAV. Just if any of the participants have experienced either episodic or chronic dizziness from MAV in:
a) the last year (0.89%)
b) in their lifetime (0.98%)

Interesting that the statistics are almost the same, meaning if you’ve had any dizziness due to MAV in your lifetime, you are also likely to have it within any given year. :grimacing:

1 Like

Kind thanks for that Erik. Much appreciated. I’ve read this 1% figure so many times and always found it totally disbelievable. It’s good you found an explanation however the statement at the beginning of the paper ‘Current Treatments in Vestibular Migraine’ is therefore completely misleading because it does state:

Inferring something totally different. Most vexing. It’s a very misleading statement that should be rescinded. Helen

metoprolol? Never heard of it and from what I read in the article that’s by far the most successful. I’ve tried all the other main ones they mentioned.

I took lamictal in 2012 (my bad dizziness started 2011) and I dont think lamictal helped at all but now if I go down on it at all, dizziness shoots up (now trying to increase my lamictal and so far it hasn’t helped

There are an amazing number of beta-blockers around. I couldn’t believe how many. Many are pretty recent ‘inventions’ but Metoprolol is certainly an established one that is used for MAV. Lamictal (Lamotrigine) doesn’t seem in common use like Propranolol and Amitriptyline but I did read a paper ir two years back stating it was excellent for the dizziness aspect of MAV. I think it also stared it wasn’t commonly prescribed because in some people it can produce a rather serious rash/skin condition. Obviously you are fine with it. Helen