Call Me a Nystagmus-Eyed Optimist, but

I think BPPV, VN, menopause, and I’ll even throw in an old neck injury, brought on a latent migraine tendency as I never had anything like a migraine headache before this. Even now my symptoms are pretty much centered around the vestibular system, rather than head pain, I have the 24/ 7 dizzies, but on migraine days, it is much worse, I feel like I am about spin, lots of rocking, occasional nausea, etc. I really am trying to avoid preventatives at all costs, it is just a personal preference, and yes, call me a "nystagmus-eyed optimist! :smiley: However I was wondering what people find are good quick fixes that I can take or do on an “as need” basis to mitigate the vestibular symptoms of vestibular migraines? Thanks!

I find stematil helpful (but it’s prescription only) - it takes hte edge of my vertigo and also helps with the nausea and for nausea peppermint oil is the bomb - you can buy “migraine sticks” here with it an lavender, or just put a few drops on a hankie and inhale a few times. NOt for use if you’re pregnant though

Are you anti preventatives that are non-prescription? I find feverfew/magnesium/B2 combo has helped me generally

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

In Capsules Just Oil
More recommended supplements here.

When I said I was against preventatives, I meant migraine preventatives that have hardcore side effects and affect other bodily systems, as I am quite sensitive these days. I have been taking magnesium, but I wasn’t aware that feverfew was useful for vertigo. Thanks for the info, Gabrielle.

Dizzytink,

I have taken herbs and other so-called natural remedies that have left me more screwed up than a proper migraine prevenatative. Why are you trying to avoid preventatives at all costs? The cost may be that you get your life back with minimal disruption from a migraine med. Yes, it can be a difficult challenge to find the right one for many but it’s worth it when they work. And they do if you read the success stories above.

The only quick fix that has worked for me is valium. All of the other acute treatments were bad news. Magnesium is not a quick fix and neither are the other evidence-based supplements which require weeks to show any effect. There is no solid evidence that feverfew works; it made me feel quite ill.

Good luck … Scott

Hi Scott - I’m not avoiding preventatives (that’s dizzytink) - I take metoprolol in addition to the feverfew/magnesium/B2. As I’ve said before I can’t be 100% certain that it’s the feverfew in the feverfew/magnesium/B2 that has made the difference to the nausea, it’s just my suspicion based on it’s reputed action plus the timing. It did take 2 months to kick in but certainly before then I would get through a pack of stematil in probably about 3 weeks even after 2 months on the metoprolol. But a 1 person non clinical trial is certainly not a trial, and although I feel that it works for me that doens’t mean that it does (might be placebo) it that it would for anyone else. Certainly I’m not wiling to give up the metoprolol for just vitamins. I tried scaling back on the metop just recently but the symptoms really became unmanageable again so back up to the standard dose I went.

Sorry if I didn’t make that clear - it’s not a quick fix. The only quick fixes that work for me are stemetil (a bit on vertigo symptoms but v helpful for nausea) and peppermint oil (inhalation) for the nausea. I haven’t tried valium but am sorely tempted today as the anxiety is off the scale thanks to 2 8 hour car journeys back to back and a post surgery do that kept me up most of the night (I’m assuming) but I have to get a bit more work done before I can flake out :frowning:

Dizzytink just to clarify pre metoprolol when I just had the stematil quick fix I would say most days I was 40%, now most days I’m 70-75% maybe. I’d like to be more but I think a medication change would be in order for that and I’m not ready to rock the boat with that just yet :lol: I’d agree with Scott that a preventative med might deliver you a more sustained relief from your symptoms if/when you found one that worked without horrible side effects.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify and pass on your experience, Gabrielle. I really appreciate it ! :smiley:

Hey Gabrielle,

My apologies. I don’t know why I addressed the post to you, it was meant to be for dizzytink … I’ve changed it.

Dizzytink – I just read my response and the tone didn’t come off right. I didn’t mean to sound critical or rude; sorry if I did – was not having a good day yesterday obviously! :shock:

I think Gabrielle gave a much better response and hope you find something that really makes a difference.

Best … Scott :slight_smile:

Hey Scott, thanks for noticing your tone was a little off-putting. I read you loud and clear that you find people’s automatic assumption that supplements are more gentle than prescription medicines as misguided or inaccurate. While it is true that I don’t like taking medication in general, it is also true that I have some health issues that would be exacerbated by the common side effects of the migraine preventatives. So that is why I am looking for a more “gentle” solution to the problem.

Dizzytink – what sort of migraine meds have you been able to try to date or are they all contraindicated given the other things you have going on? Is an SSRI out of the question?

Scott :slight_smile:

Thanks for your interest and concern, Scott. I haven’t tried any migraine meds. SSRIs would be contraindicated for me because they can lower bone density.

— Begin quote from “lorcalon”

Hi Scott - I’m not avoiding preventatives (that’s dizzytink) - I take metoprolol in addition to the feverfew/magnesium/B2. As I’ve said before I can’t be 100% certain that it’s the feverfew in the feverfew/magnesium/B2 that has made the difference to the nausea, it’s just my suspicion based on it’s reputed action plus the timing. It did take 2 months to kick in but certainly before then I would get through a pack of stematil in probably about 3 weeks even after 2 months on the metoprolol. But a 1 person non clinical trial is certainly not a trial, and although I feel that it works for me that doens’t mean that it does (might be placebo) it that it would for anyone else. Certainly I’m not wiling to give up the metoprolol for just vitamins. I tried scaling back on the metop just recently but the symptoms really became unmanageable again so back up to the standard dose I went.

Sorry if I didn’t make that clear - it’s not a quick fix. The only quick fixes that work for me are stemetil (a bit on vertigo symptoms but v helpful for nausea) and peppermint oil (inhalation) for the nausea. I haven’t tried valium but am sorely tempted today as the anxiety is off the scale thanks to 2 8 hour car journeys back to back and a post surgery do that kept me up most of the night (I’m assuming) but I have to get a bit more work done before I can flake out :frowning:

Dizzytink just to clarify pre metoprolol when I just had the stematil quick fix I would say most days I was 40%, now most days I’m 70-75% maybe. I’d like to be more but I think a medication change would be in order for that and I’m not ready to rock the boat with that just yet :lol: I’d agree with Scott that a preventative med might deliver you a more sustained relief from your symptoms if/when you found one that worked without horrible side effects.

— End quote

Thanks you for the post.

:lol:

http://moviesonlineworld.com