Breakfast

Hello

Can anyone tell me what they have for breakfast on the MAV diet please ?

Thanks

I have 1/3 cup of jumbo organic oats with 1 desert spoon of ground almonds (I am ok with almonds and as a vegetarian need the protein), a desert spoon of milled flaxseeds, a desert spoon of freeze dried milled blackcurrant powder covered in hot water and left for ten minutes. I then add two desert spoons of homemade yogurt which has no nasties like guar gum in it which my neurologist thinks is ok. It is full of protein, vitamin C, calcium, fibre and is yummy to boot.

Hello

Thanks for the info but that sounds like a lot of work at five in the morning my search continues

I usually have a bowl of oatmeal or cereal that doesnā€™t have any nuts, dried fruit or excess sugar in it. My favorite thing to have is probably a hard boiled egg with toast. The protein holds me over for longer. I sometimes boil the egg the night before so it doesnā€™t take up as much time in the morning.

Hello

Iā€™m already eating a gluten and wheat free cereal but I remain uncertain about some of itā€™s ingredients as it is although nice a bit sweet.
Natureā€™s Path Maple Sunrise itā€™s called.
On the subject of eggs which I love Dr SURENTHIRAN put it on his list of things not to eat.

Thanks for your input

Iā€™ve been doing his diet too for a couple of years and really miss eggs. His sheet says that eggs ā€˜can be a problem for some peopleā€™ so Iā€™m going to ask him if that means we could perhaps have them. I see him in a few weeks, Iā€™ll let you know!

Hello Scott

Thanks for that . How have you found doing the diet ?
Have you managed to find out what your triggers are ?
Do you feel in remission or are you struggling ?

Hi Reggie. I have found that I am in control of the vertigo and other problems after four years of the diet, trigger identification and occasional use of a short course of Nortriptyline. Here is what I have found that works for breakfast:
1.I make two portions of whole oatmeal and divide into three small bowls (100 calories each) and refrigerate. I can microwave in the morning (I add some flaxseed and a few drops of pure.maple syrup).
2.A cup of fruit (melons, apples, pears, kiwi, mango).
3.Mestermacher Whole Grain Rye or Pumpernickel Bread (no wheat flour or sugar) TOASTED. I put a tablespoon of Sunflower Seed Butter on it for protein. I also look for other Whole Grain (as opposed to whole wheat) breads with the least amount of ingredients. I freeze it, sliced, and take out and toast as needed.
4.I have found that one fresh egg a week does not bother me. It is now a treat that I look forward to.
5.Trader Joes makes a good gluten free bread that I like with a little goat cheese (1 tablespoon does not make a dairy problem for me) and a little honey or apricot jam or a thin slice of tomato. Very filling.
6.I put a little oil on a corn tortilla and toast in toaster over. Then melt some good quality American cheese on with some cumin and chopped tomato. I have to buy the American cheese at the deli counter in the market - packaged has other awful ingredients. I have also found that an ounce of less-aged cheese like mozzarella or BonBel soft is not a problem. 7. I will mix just two tablespoons of yogurt with granola, flaxseed and blueberries.
8.Other breakfast ideas: Vertigo Tales and Tastes: S G Recipes: PROTEIN FOR BREAKFAST A little dairy does not bother me. Also, I like to make things ahead and freeze in single portions.
9.For other food choices - Vertigo Tales and Tastes: (6) Lost and Found - WHAT TO EAT (USA) Good luck to you. The diet really works for me and when I canā€™t stand it anymore - I cheat with very small amounts of things like chocolate (6 chips or 1/2 a square of better quality) once in a while and do not suffer any problems. Just a taste, when you have to, of peanut butter or chocolate or aged cheese like cheddar or 1/2 an orange or 1 inch of not-overripe banana or 1 tablespoon of avocado mashed on toast with a little salt (yum). Not all in one day and only small amounts. For me it is not a problem. Just try to keep the other triggers low.: exercise, head motion, computer work, loud talking in noisy environments, eating in restaurants, stress, etc. Happy planning. (www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com)

1 Like

Thanks for that .

Iā€™m in the U.K. so some of the products might be difficult to come by but I will definitely look into it.
I think I also read on the forum you posted about a book called Heal your Headache being helpful.
In your opinion is it simply a matter of managing the condition?
My consultant thinks that I can get free of it and have a normal life again
The problem is working full time whilst trying to avoid stress and be able to isolate exactly what foods I can and cannot eat, dealing with every day life for example raising my daughter .
Itā€™s difficult to find the time to look after myself.
Iā€™m not sure my symptoms are as bad as some of the others but itā€™s still a struggle some days and the medication makes me feel exhausted at times.

Iā€™ve found the diet ok. Iā€™m used to it now and have found substitutes for just about everything. I really miss stuff, but reassure myself Iā€™ll be able to have things again! Iā€™d love to go into Zizis and have a good pizza washed down with a glass of red- hopefully one day!

No, I canā€™t say Iā€™ve noticed any triggers, other than stress and overdoing things. Iā€™ve certainly not noticed any food triggers, but then I havenā€™t had anything from his diet plan since I saw him for the first time almost two years ago.

I have been doing really well with it all generally, then he had me start to reduce the meds. I was definitely overdoing things and got to the point where some vertigo returned about a month ago. Iā€™ve upped my dose again and it seems to have settled down again. I need to redress how much I do in a day to be able to come off the drugs I think.

I have the book you mentioned and it is a really interesting read. Itā€™s worth a look. I asked Dr S about it and he thinks the diet is too restrictive and then becomes a stress in itself. So Iā€™m careful not to have too many nuts etc that arenā€™t allowed in the bookā€™s diet but donā€™t eliminate those things entirely.

I would like to stay off the meds as much as possible so I try to do as much of the program out of Johns-Hopkins as I can. My doctor is a proponent of it and he is highly regarded and he, too, is on the program. When I first came to him almost 5 years ago, I was at my lowest point. I was living on Meclizine and Advil almost 24/7 and I was tired all the time, even on coffee. He required me to read ā€œHeal Your Headache- 1-2-3ā€ by Buchholz, begin a strict diet (for now) and go on Nortriptyline (12 weeks). I was to stop all other medication after 5 days (it took 5 days for the meds to kick-in). To begin, no alcohol, no caffeine, no chocolate, no citrus, no aged cheese, no MSG in any form and no high tyramine foods. This was a challenge but it worked. I then went med-free for 14 months. The summers are hard for me - the heat!!! At the end of last summer I went on a short course of 10 mgs for two weeks, resumed a stricter diet (personally, I also have to follow a low histamine diet as histamine problems aggravate the nerves in my head). So, since I found help from this knowledgeable oto-neurologist, I have spent 10-14 months at a time, off meds, and then I do a short course (2 weeks) to get back on track. This will be my first summer adding low histamine and I hope it helps get me through. I have added very small amounts of some foods that are restricted and I am okay. Just a taste and rotate them through the week. But never real coffee or soda, never alcohol, never Asian food (unless I make it myself), less than an ounce of aged cheese, low dairy and just a very small taste of chocolate. I have to be careful with exercise - 5 days a week of a fast 45 minute walk begins to set me off. Also, going over 10,000 steps a day is a problem (I have my pedometer in my pocket all day). Too much eye motion and head motion can be a problem. Nine years ago, when this all began at a severe level, it seemed to correct itself between episodes. But it always came back and then finally it became constant. My doctor does not think it can correct itself. But at least I have ways of controlling it. I am aware of triggers and try to minimize them. I have suggestions for reducing eye and head motion at my site if you are interested. Vertigo Tales and Tastes: S G Blog Post: EYES AS TRIGGERS Good luck on your search for solutions. Everyone is different but it is worth it to try the diet and trigger avoidance. (www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com)

1 Like

Hello Scott and Spinning girl

Thanks for your input . I must confess I am starting to lose heart a little bit . Iā€™m not sure how extreme your conditions are but I think mine are not that severe .
I have a sense of what I would describe as mild disequilibrium but it is constantly lurking in the background. Also I have headaches and neck pain.
I have had altogether four actual episodes of acute rotational vertigo which all occurred in a three month period and it has been nearly fourteen months since the last one fingers crossed.
I have had CBT which helped a little but then you get discharged and cut adrift.
I am currently on pregabalin but I think it worked a little but since increasing the dose I havenā€™t noticed any further improvements and I am beginning to have my doubts about it, although I have had some kind of virus which I am struggling to shake off which quite possibly has exacerbated my symptoms.
I donā€™t know if you see Dr S on the NHS or privately but I find getting any help between appointments quite difficult Iā€™m not sure if his P.A. bothers to forward the emails on to him even though she said she would. I have an appointment with him next month and I will bring this up because it does leave you feeling like no one really cares.
Did either of you have the comprehensive testing caloric test,VNG etcā€¦?

I see him on the NHS and there at first it was six months in between appointments, now itā€™s nine. I havenā€™t tried to contact him in between. I didnā€™t have any comprehensive testing, my gp had already ordered a CT scan.

I definitely feel symptoms are aggravated by any colds or stomach bugs I might have picked up, so you might pick up once you shake off the virus.

Did he tell you to keep increasing the meds until you feel ok? If he did, he would tell you to keep going with those. Thatā€™s what he did with me anyway.

Donā€™t despair, itā€™s tough but you will improve. Itā€™s a long road though so you need to be patient. You just have to accept this is the way things are for now but theyā€™ll get better. Stick with the diet and the meds, but one of the main things is trying to manage stress levels. This is certainly one of the hardest things for me and me recent relapse brought this home more so for me.