Botox

Hi all…
I‘ve have yet another Dr.
From the same clinic I’ve been frequenting for the past 6 months,
She is rather eccentric woman in her late 60’s.
She has been treating me with laser acupuncture for the past 2 weeks.
It’s painless and takes no time at all.
The last session I had with her, she said, oh and by the way, I’m going to be giving you botox next, I just laughed, and she said no seriously!
She explained to me that Botox is one of the newest therapy’s available for migraine.
She will be starting the Botox in about a month.
I had heard about botox from the migraineconnection.com a while ago.
It seems to work well in some patients.

I haven’t had a migraine in a week now, which is a rarity for me.
Time will tell, I’ll be waiting for my next menstrual cycle, before I jump up and down about anything, as this is the time my migraines are at their worst.
Normally I’d have a migraine “every other day” so to speak.

I suppose, if the Botox doesn’t work, no one will be the wiser, you won’t be able to tell I’m upset. :shock:
Heeee!

I’ll let you know if it helps to reduce my migraine.
It’s important to remember that both Botox is not a cure.
It dose help stop the muscles involved in triggering Migraine attacks.
So therefore it would be an ongoing treatment.
And no doubt comes with it’s own risks.

Articles.
We’ve all heard a lot about Botox, botulinum toxin type A (BoNTA). It seems as if it’s being used for something different every day. There are both cosmetic and medical applications for it. In the right hands, Botox is very helpful; in the wrong hands, it can be disastrous. If you’re considering Botox treatments, don’t hesitate to ask how much experience your doctor has with Botox administration.

Research into the most effective ways to use Botox for headache and Migraine treatment continues and is promising. Here, we’ll take a look at research performed by John Claude Krusz, Ph.D., M.D., and William R. Knoderer, D.D.S., M.D., in Dallas. Please note that this research is based on intradermal (into the skin) administration of Botox. What you’re probably used to reading and hearing about is intramuscular (into the muscle) administration of Botox.

Introduction:
It is known that botulinum toxin, type A, (BoNTA) often has marked effects on head pain and other pain. These can outlast effects on motor nerve fibers, and the mechanism may be an effect on nociceptive (caused by or responding to painful stimulus) sensory afferent (Transporting toward a center, When speaking of nerves, a sensory nerve that carries impulses toward the central nervous system) or non-cholinergic fibers. Intradermal administration was chosen to test this hypothesis for multiple types of painful conditions on the basis that nociceptive fibers are most numerous in the skin and that cutaneous (pertaining to the skin) sensory input contribute to these common painful conditions.

Rationale:
A growing body of preliminary data suggests that Botox (BoNTA) may have more widespread effects that pharmacologically go beyond its effects on cholinergic (Releasing or activated by acetylcholine or a related compound) motor nerve fibers. Recent studies have shown that Botox may block or inhibit release of glutamate (salt of glutamic acid that functions as the brain’s main excitatory neurotransmitter) CGRP or Substance P from nociceptive neurons1-3. These data may explain, in part, the well-known effect of Botox to reduce pain longer than its ability to reduce muscular problems/deformities.

Krusz and Knoderer previously reported initial success in treating headaches of cervical (related to the neck) origin with both Botox and BoNTB4-6. The study referred to in this article extends their initial findings with additional data utilizing intradermal Botox in other painful states. The index case was a patient with CPRS, type 1 (reflex sympathetic dystrophy, aka complex regional pain syndrome), in whom relief of burning pain, swelling and painful radiating symptoms became dramatically better with intradermal Botox.

To read further pages 1-2-and 3
healthcentral.com/migraine/m … 202-5.html

agn360.client.shareholder.com/re … eID=333850

seems nothing comes without possible problems.

I’ve just recieved a email from a friend, telling me that they’ve tried Botox for cosmetic reasons,
and had some pretty nasty effects from it,
this is what they said.
I’d hate to see anyone having such side effects on top of their mav.

What followed after an injection of 40 units of the stuff was my life being turned upside down for 2 weeks. The first 24 hours was full of panic attacks that never ended. I then felt off my face for 2 weeks and slowly came around again. It also caused me to get really weird lower back pain that I had never experienced before. I loved the smoothing out it did (although short-lived) but I would say to you be very careful. I wouldn’t go through with it again that’s for sure.

jen

Did it increase migraines?

10 year old thread, might not get a response.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Botox - do you find you feel worse the first couple of weeks after Botox?

Hi all, just wondering how many of you have botox as a treatment option for your Migraine?
I find almost right away after having botox, I feel really fatigued and have a bad couple of weeks after the treatment.

Is anyone else the same?

@jojo65 is the one to ask. I know the Botox seems to peak and trough but not sure of exact symptoms. I know Botox seems to wear iff as she’s approaching the next treatment date. Also have you tried using this site’s Search facility. That’ll give you any archive Botox material thats ever been on mvertigo. Helen

Thanks Helen I shall have a look through the archives. :grin:

Hello
I absolutely do feel worse for a few weeks after Botox. Ive had 3 rounds and felt worse after each treatment. Increased dizziness and headache and unbelievable fatigue…then i reap the rewards. This time i went 6 weeks straight without 1 headache in my diary. I also feel tender across my brow for a week or two after as well.
Jo x

1 Like

Jo, I reckon if you are ever to attain your Brownie Badge in ‘Good Citizenship’, you are gonna have to write up your considerable MAV experience under ‘Personal Diaries’ for the benefit of posterity and subtitle it ‘Botox Queen’ for easy reference! Helen. xx

1 Like

Helen…ha ha you are so funny. My work colleagues love my " dot to dot" look across my brow after treatment. They cant believe how much improvement it has given me…the amount of times i have been took home from work ill over the last 4 years amounts in dozens x dozens…this doesnt happen anymore.:crown::crown::crown:

1 Like

That is good to know @Jojo65 this will be my 3rd round. I always find I do feel shocking immediately afterwards but had around 5 days of no headache a couple of months ago… now trying Amitryptline too so maybe I will gain more relief! Good to know that people do feel similar to me after having Botox. :grin: x

@Jojo65 Hi Jo! Hope your doing well!!! :grin:
Just thought I would message you as the botox queen!! Haha! I was starting to feel better after my relapse and 5 weeks on 20mg of Ami and had some great days last weekend! Not 100% but much better! Then Tues had botox and now im feeling migrainey all over again! I usually do… but I wanted to ask you when you say 6 weeks headache free? Do you still have other MAV symtoms? Or nothing for 6 weeks? X

Hello
Yes i do still have other MAV symptoms but im taking Venlafaxine to help with those…like the detached, dizzy, drunk and disorientated feelings ( the 4Ds). But the Botox helps with the pain element as in the chronic headache, ear & nose pain and neck stiffness. Mind u its taken a good 5 weeks for my Botox side effects to settle down this time…i felt rather unwell from it
Jo

@Jojo65 Oh really? You know it is ironic I have felt asif my migraines have been a little more intense since botox but I do recall once I went five days headache free! Was nice although I was still dizzy. Im holding out hope and there is the Aimovig coming to the NHS this summer my neuro was telling me! She said it is basically for people that fail every other treatment option! :face_with_head_bandage:
I hope your starting to feel better! X

Oh yeah im defintely on the right track…thre Botox is kicking in great now. I have had flu so that hasnt helped but my headaches are diminishing . It saved my life Botox. Im about 70% better on the dizzy front
Jo

1 Like

Hi Kirsty. Hope u don’t mind me asking but are you in the UK? The neurologist my GP referred me to returned my appointment as he said he didn’t do botox! He hadn’t even seen me! I get such bad migraines and vertigo along with neck pain I would love to try it. I expect I will have to pay for it if I want it. R.

1 Like

@oak17 Hi Ruth, I lived in Oxford for years but relocated to Yorkshire (where I am from) I still get treated down south because I choose to travel to see my neuro. So ive been seeing her for almost 10yrs now :grin: and the new one for botox.
I would really try and get a gp to refer you to a neuro that does the botox. Its got to be worth a try for sure! X

1 Like

@oak17 you do have to have more than 15 migraines a month and have failed 3 different drugs before botox would be considered however
Hope you get to try it soon! :grin:

Hi. I certainly meet criteria as far as the migraines goes, but only tried two drugs. They are absolutely hopeless!At least you can still go to the same neuro. I probably would be told I was out of the area! Hope u feeling ok today?R.