Beta blockers increase dizziness

I have only seen doctor Anita bhandari, and beyond giving me a diagnosis of vestibulopathy she couldn’t help me any further. I discontinued seeing her as her fees is high and i dont have much money.

Are u from india? Are u male or female? How old are you?

I am a 48 year old British woman. My husband and I have been living in Himachal Pradesh for more than 10 years now but I go back to England usually for a couple of months every summer. How about you?

Im a 32 year old man living in jaipur. I was born with this condition(it was mild initially) , but slowly the rocking dizziness increased to such a level that it became unbearable. I have to take benzos daily to lessen the dizziness.

I’m so sorry. Having experienced this for only 5 months I can imagine how difficult it must be to have had it all your life :-(.

Are you able to work? What work does your husband do in india?
I work as a shopkeeper in the outskirts of the city.

I teach English online but I haven’t been able to work at all for a couple of months now as I’m only able to use my computer when I am lying down and I have a lot of brain fog especially when I start speaking. My husband works as a writer and editor also online.

I have difficulty in working on computers too, they increase my rocking vertigo if i work on them for too long.

@methanol venlafaxine (effexor) has a good success with both vestibular migraine and peripheral vestibular issues. The key is to start on very low doses, breaking the pill or splitting the capsule, to work up slowly and avoid side effects. If you can tolerate it and work your way up slowly to a theraputic dose, it should also help your anxiety. It is an SNRI, different than an SSRI.

The biggest reason, imho, people with anxiety fail SSRIs is that they are started at typical doses, which ramp anxiety and insomnia (amongst other side effects). I know this because it happened to me long before this dizziness, when I was going through a battle with anxiety. A very good Dr had me cutting the smallest dose of Prozac into 8 pieces!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, I was started on 15mg of paxil, should have been more like 2mg.

1 Like

Oh i have taken ssri for my depression and ocd problems for many years, but they don’t touch the crippling dizziness. I have taken sertraline, escitalopram and fluoxetine (currently on fluoxetine 60 mg ).

@methanol it is the specific SNRI Effexor that is used for dizziness. The SSRIs in general, are not effective for migraine dizziness. I just brought up the SSRIs in reference to anxiety and dosing…

SNRI- Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor

I may give effexor a try in the future, it is one of the more expensive meds here, can’t afford it currently.

1 Like

Worth trying a generic/alternative version of venlaflaxine? That might be much less expensive?

My mother takes generic venlafaxine for her depression, even generic venlafaxine is one of the more costlier antidepressants here, sertraline, fluoxetine, and escitalopram are the cheapest here.