Bay Area / Nor Cal MAV physicians?

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with MAV after a long and painful 18-month odyssey. The journey is just beginning, I know. I needed to go down to Los Angeles for a correct diagnosis at the House Ear Clinic. My ENT in Oakland said Meniere’s and had me on a diuretic and no salt diet despite no hearing loss and no improvement of symptoms over a long period of time.

Are there any Bay Area residents here who like their care and can recommend a local physician? I noticed that nobody local made the list of national MAV doctors of import. I’ve heard people on here say that as long as you have a GP who will prescribe you meds you’re good to go. I have that to a fault with my GP, but I still have some lingering questions about MAV and BPPV etc. I’d love to discuss with someone I trust without having to travel 400 miles.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

We went through a bunch of doctors and tests at both PAMF and Stanford for 4 years before seeing Dr. Hamid Sajjadi. He runs his own practice and is very thorough and detail-oriented in his testing - along with the usual vestibular testing, he did a whole bunch of blood tests.

After ruling out all other known ear-related conditions/disease, he made the clinical diagnosis of Vestibular Migraine.

yelp.com/biz/san-jose-ear-an … r-san-jose

What tests did your doctor run before making the MAV diagnosis?

HTH.

— Begin quote from “antidodge”

Chris,

We went through a bunch of doctors and tests at both PAMF and Stanford for 4 years before seeing Dr. Hamid Sajjadi. He runs his own practice and is very thorough and detail-oriented in his testing - along with the usual vestibular testing, he did a whole bunch of blood tests.

After ruling out all other known ear-related conditions/disease, he made the clinical diagnosis of Vestibular Migraine.

yelp.com/biz/san-jose-ear-an … r-san-jose

What tests did your doctor run before making the MAV diagnosis?

HTH.

— End quote

2 MRIs about 8 months apart and a cardiology workup plus blood work for thyroid and hormones. And a Video ENG which showed peripheral (left side) and central vestibular dysfunction.

Fellow Bay Area folks! Unsure if you’re still looking but I see Dr. Maska in Oakland who so far has responsive and friendly so we’ll see if she helps. I was thinking of starting a thread or something for folks in the Bay Area to exchange advice or even have a meetup group or anything (but I just posted so trying not to create a new post again).

In terms of my diagnosis, I’ve been to two ENTs and they found nothing and did an MRI twice (after a concussion and before one) and CT and found nothing so they all said MAV.

This isn’t a very large forum. Only 61 active users in the past month:
http://www.mvertigo.org/about

The Facebook groups seem to have a lot more users.

What’s the Facebook group link?

I’m in three groups. Coincidentally, Adam Whitehead (founder of this site) just posted in the first one, Vestibular Migraine Professional, two days ago. I am going to start a new thread that contains his post.

These are the exact group names so you should be able to find them by searching in Facebook:

Vestibular Migraine Professional

Vestibular Disorders Support Group

Migraine Associated Vertigo (dizziness)

1 Like