The Vestibular Migraine & Secondary Hydrops Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Ballet Dancers’ Brains Adapt to Stop Them Feeling Dizzy

Maybe we all need to take ballet classes… :smile:

Ballet Dancers’ Brains Adapt to Stop Them Feeling Dizzy
http://neurosciencenews.com/neurology-ballet-dancers-dizziness-cerebellum-449/

When I went for my consultation at the Johns Hopkins vestibular clinic they recommended ballroom dancing as part of my plan to get better. Needless to say I didn’t try it, just the thought gets me nauseated!

1 Like

all forms of dancing helps. My VRT therapist ended my session saying the following 4 really helps compensation.

hiking with poles ( poles helps proprioception)
dancing
sports (hand-eye co-ordination)
yoga ( you do postures which you normally don’t in daily life)

Johns Hopkins also suggested Tai-chi, ping-pong (like you said @GetBetter, hand-eye coordination), and even some video games on a Wii like Wii sports with the tennis, ping-pong, etc.

Tai Chi is the best(i have not tried but watched videos). It is slow so most people like it and it involves mindfulness. It is meditation and VRT rolled into one.

I bought the wii-sports balance board from e-bay. Wii stopped making these and these are a collectors item now :slight_smile: The awesome thing is you can see your center of gravity on the screen and you will be asked to move it to spots on the screen. This stuff is good.

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

Tai Chi Streaming videos US accounts UK accounts
Lots of videos Several videos

DVDs (be careful of region)

Frustrating that they can perform research like this on the brain, but they can’t tell why someone is dizzy…

2 Likes

Agreed

Article makes sense.

Playing jazz is super hard to get your head around, for sure - a tough learning process. With Jazz you have to learn how to learn it, unlike classical music, and in my opinion requires you to crack some of the more fundamental building blocks of how music fits together (e.g. why this bit of harmony works in relation to the last bit, in what ways can this bit of harmony be expressed, what melody is legal to play/sounds good over this, what melodic motifs fit over this succession of harmony). Some gifted classical musicians who go on to compose learn a lot of it too, but probably couldn’t reproduce it at the speed a jazz player needs to.

Jazz also requires a very special kind of teacher. In the UK at least, they are very rare.

No doubt classical music also requires tremendous study and commitment too, but more straightforward to learn as you never have to question what you need to play next, its all written down in great detail (except perhaps some of the very subtle elements ) - in jazz you are always having to ask that question.

And if you need a musician to play a piece of music they’ve never seen written down before, a jazz musician is the one to ask, as they are probably more likely to be able to work it out by ear on the spot, such is their ability to understand the building blocks (though of course some classical players have this ability too, but its not so likely)

I got to understand Jazz music better after i saw la la land…it is more impromptu style and you improvise constantly based on what the other guys in the group play.

1 Like

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Hain wrote a book on Tai Chi !!

1 Like

Isn’t it taking your mind off things rather than all these proven benefits. I feel like all these things are a joke now just so that we go away. Sorry, again being a dizzy patient for too long has made me a monster.

content://com.google.android.apps.docs.storage.legacy/enc%3DeIMqvnLjFATDKvUDv4v2IwBmwPG1EtxkxnH9IcZAKwL0qH6m%0A

If I recall the study which that book is based off of focuses on people with balance disorders (and not people with migraines who are dizzy but fine with balance) but if it helps people great. I tried six tai chi classes and it was nice but didn’t help me much but I’ve been trying yoga which seems easier to do on one’s own

That’s hilarious - but isn’t it a video?

Have added it to the recommended products page! :smiley:

Seems like he has a whole Amazon shop, lol:

(NB from admin: these product links exist to point you to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=1&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A1NUNZY3RTN4US&tab=&vasStoreID=

Well is it a book? I thought it was a video? I’ve printed off the.pdf of instructions that accompany the video years ago The Tai Chi forms chosen for TC for balance are just normal forms, not especially designed for anything particular. He may well have selected them because he feels they help with balance but once you have tte selection it would be much easier to learn them from somewhere else ie book/the internet. I did Tai Chi more than 3 years pre-MAV and I don’t find them at all easy to follow. I could have got dizzy trying to follow them.

Tai Chi’s great but to help you need to get the forms correct and there are easier explanations out there.

I just don’t understand why the heck all the items from Dr.Hain are soo pricy. 60$ for Tai Chi DVD, you got to be kidding me.

1 Like

How much was your appointment may I ask? :wink: (I’m not expecting you to answer that!)

You could just print off the .pdf of instructions or better still try Youtube or buy a book or even an e-book.

OOOOORRRRRRRRR try the wonderful, cheaper options here (stop me when I get annoying!)

PS Yes Dr. Hain’s video is there too, just in case we have some big spenders …

1 Like

Insurance covered most of it, so not complaining :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s good ot hear!