Article: "Five Things I Wish I'd Known Before My Chronic Illness"

Good article:
ā€œFive Things I Wish Iā€™d Known Before My Chronic Illnessā€

5 Likes

Brilliant article you found there. Certainly takes one to recognise the pitfalls as you might say. Trouble is. I wonder how many people realise MAV - and indeed classic migraine - is a ā€˜chronicā€™ illness. Medics never mention it or at least none ever have told me. Helen

3 Likes

Buzzzz!! Thatā€™s incorrect and quite negative. A ā€˜chronicā€™ illness is one that lasts a long time (eg > 3 months) but may go away. What an utterly negative way to kick off an article.

There are several board members who have gone into remission.

Remain positive people!

4 Likes

And some of us whoā€™ve had MAV 20+ years and have no expectations of a cure. Acceptance is not negative.

1 Like

Of course it isnā€™t. Doesnā€™t make the articleā€™s definition of ā€˜chronicā€™ any less wrong.

MAV is chronic in the definition of the article.

What does that even mean?! A single article does not change a wordā€™s meaning!

So you want people to believe they will never get better?

1 Like

One dictionary definition I checked says, persisting for a long time, or constantly recurring. No mention of never going away so maybe that was journalistic licence/bit of sensationalism. I always think of ā€˜chronicā€™ more in terms of causing severe symptoms over prolonged periods of time and stemming from something which is in essence incurable rather than permanent. To use the term ā€˜into remissionā€™in itself infers eventual return of something not currently visible but likely to recur. Helen.

1 Like

Great article! I really relate to the everyone offers you advice. Iā€™ve had so many people say just do this or that. I wish it was that simple.

2 Likes

Same here. I have a friend who said, ā€œOh, I got vertigo once and I went to the doctor and they did the Epley maneuver on me and that fixed it.ā€ Then when I told her that what I have canā€™t be fixed by the Epley maneuver, she just gave me a puzzled look.

4 Likes

Lovely post Anna

1 Like

I definitely agree with this one too. I wish iā€™d known to tune out this advice, and to not listen to other people and let their opinions make me feel bad. I think itā€™s really important with migraine to find your own way, because itā€™s so individual, rather than believing that what everyone else is recommending is the way to treat yourself.

3 Likes