Are ear plugs helping anyone?

Did silicone ear plugs or avoiding sounds help anyone?

i think ā€œTurnitaroundā€ had some success with earplugs. but if not T, then it was definitely somebody on this site who did. try searching around - you might find some threads!

good luck!

Thanks Gidlabu!

Guys I believe it was @gmathew

ā€œA fistula sign is said to be typical when a pressure increase in the external auditory canal causes an ampllopetal shift of the endolymph, with the nystagmus beating toward the pressurised earā€ (T. Brandt). I wonder if this is the reason we have reduced symptoms with ear plugs.

Iā€™ve shifted my opinion a little. I think a fistula might heal spontaneously over time but I suspect that if you start to develop Secondary Hydrops this might slow the healing process due to the pressure. Having read quite a few forum posts from people whoā€™ve had the surgery it seems the surgery resolves symptoms only for a very small minority. Most people continue to have issues including vertigo (which theoretically should be banished by surgery if it was good enough.). So whilst plugs might be tried Iā€™m not sure id recommend the PLF surgery ā€¦

Many of the studies and text books say that the rate of permanent success for PLF repair is quite low as the material they use to patch donā€™t work for longer period.

Another thing is that if you have Tulio phenomenon, it irritates the Oval window and thus increase the oscillopsia. Most of the text books are saying that if you have oscillopsia along with Tulio phenomenon, the diagnosis is PLF (as long as it is not SSCD)

Something tells me that PLFs must be many orders of magnitude more likely than SSCD.

The latter is congenital or due to significant trauma whereas developing a PLF requires relatively little trauma.

SSCD surgery is super invasive. Youā€™d want several opinions before going down that road. I wonder if anyone has been misdiagnosed?!

Even though SCD repair is invasive, at least the success rate is 100%.

Except you are left with some degree of disability? This guy can no longer run. But then who knows the long-term outcome.

https://superiorcanaldehiscence.com

My symptoms (oscillopsia and disequillibrium ) today are again much reduced after avoiding all soundsWackym_Dehiscence_Syndrome_2015_HR.pdf (1.9 MB)

Have you had a CT Gracy?

I had at least 3 CTs to rule out SSCD. Had 3 MRIs (1 with Gadolinium). There is nothing that is going to kill me, but disabled for life.

Donā€™t think that way. Low salt diet. Let it heal. Plenty of accounts of recovery but can take years. Hain maintains 90% of fistulas heal. Perhaps more if you wait a little longer. Hydrops could be a factor in slowing healing down. And you have to reduce the Hydrops to be free. Remove triggers and salt from diet. Have you noticed no improvement or changes during those 4 years?

Donā€™t you run the risk of tinnitus with ear plugs?

I wish I just ran the risk! That would be nice! I have tinnitus 24/7 and Iā€™m unfortunately very much not alone it would appear:

http://www.mvertigo.org/t/poll-do-you-get-tinnitus/14469?u=turnitaround

Sorry to clarify, donā€™t earplugs risk it making it worse or keep it bad? I have congested ears what seems to be 24/7 and buzzing mostly and ringing on and off. I kind of wish I could wear them in stores/in cars/etc. but I want to make sure Iā€™m alert so I donā€™t crash/bump into someone. Iā€™d wear them at home but it seems when I take them off they make the dizziness worse (and itā€™s hard to have them in even barely in when doing calls or talking with my roommate).

Iā€™ve tried ā€˜noise-cancelling headphonesā€™ (older kind someone gave me) and a newer type (not really noise-cancelling) but either way the tight grabbing feeling on the ears throws me off.

1 Like

Hmm, Iā€™ve never heard that earplugs would make tinnitus worse.

And there is one type of earplug that is supposed to help balance the pressure for flying:

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

ā€œEarPlanesā€
More health accessories here

Hmm, I just found this, made by the same company:

ā€œIntroducing MigraineXā„¢, a complete, proactive way to manage weather-related migraines, before they start.ā€

ā€œMigraineXā„¢ helps you manage your migraines, by slowing the shift of atmospheric pressure changes.ā€

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

ā€œMigraineXā€
More health accessories here