Anyone read "Fighting The Migraine Epidemic" by Angela A Stanton?

this is a good point: is taking an antidepressant, for example, irreversible? Anyone read anything on that?

Anecdotes and just enough biochemical theory to be dangerous, but not enough to hang my hat on. I could ask my sister the hot mess how sheā€™s doing several months post SSRI. Neither one of us are particularly good breeding stock genetically speaking (sorry son). Iā€™m MAV. Sheā€™s not (thank God). She had huge trouble on the SSRI, more trouble getting off and still has issues, but itā€™s hard to tell from the outside what caused what.

I donā€™t think so. If antidepressants were irreversible, then in theory someone who is depressed would only need to take the drug for so long and then theyā€™d be ā€œcuredā€ for the rest of their life.

1 Like

Good point Anna. Iā€™ll stick with that thought!

Stanton is a Phd doc and not a medical doc. There is a lot of research which says people with bad cholesterol and triglyceride numbers are prone to migraine. Stanton believes migraine is a metabolic disease which might have some truth to it. Metabolic syndrome is a multifaceted clinical entity in which genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors are involved. Interactions between components of faulty life style such as consumption of excessive sugar and high calorie diet and inadequate exercise are important in MetS. Insulin resistance plays a central role in a series of metabolic disorders.

Her protocol believes in salt overdose and i am surprised Emily saw positive change with salt overloading. This will NOT work for folks who have some degree of hydrops.

Also Keto diet needs like 26% carbs , medium amount of protein and excessive good fat. Not sure i can sustain this kind of diet. Also she says not to do the keto when on meds. I donā€™t think i am there yet to give up my meds and go all diet. Again everyoneā€™s mileage does vary.

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

ā€œFighting The Migraine Epidemic - Complete Guideā€
More recommended books here
1 Like

I donā€™t think I can go on a very low carb diet, is too much. This condition is already stressful enough

i love the low carb diets, although you can mix it up. for example i eat low carbs until the evening then i have normal carbs with dinner. i have loads more energy in the day if i do that. i donā€™t know if it helps my MAv symptoms. iā€™ll try to track it. it definitely helps my metabolism though. i have grizzly bear genes i can put on 5 pounds in a day if i eat a lot, but i can go for a long time without food (which i guess means i must be in Keto state). Dr Atkins must be loving all this chat.

i eat normal to high salt. doesnā€™t seem to have any effect for me.

PS the reason i eat low carbs with dinner is because if i go low carb all day i canā€™t sleep, i get hyper.

Thatā€™s the approach suggested by www.healthfulpursuit.com. It looks like an excellent approach for insomnia.

I have to stay pretty much full keto to see benefits, but then Iā€™m insulin resistant and have PCOS. Weā€™re hard cases.

Hey everyone, how much salt does she say we need to take a day?

Iā€™m also on a med trial and should be done with it in 9 weeks and have been on it for over 4 months and given it seems Stanton recommends not doing her diet while on a med trial, but I donā€™t think eating a bunch more salt would be harmful. I already eat a lot of salt and tried the ā€˜migraine miracleā€™ keto diet for about a month as he recommends and that made me feel quite bad (he recommended under 50mg of carbs for 2weeks and then under 100mg of carbs for some time after that).

Insomnia is a frequent keto issue, often in the first month.

If you donā€™t balance electrolytes, keto is a bear. And, the first couple weeks are hard. Your body has to do some impressive shifting around to use an alternative fuel source. Itā€™s took me a few tries before it stuck.

6% carbs

You give up meds slowly as you no longer need them, not the other way around.

What do you eat regularly that youā€™re able to consume that ratio of fats to calories to protein? Thanks!

Hi. I lived in the U.S. Deep South for a while, so my foods skew that way.

I eat mainly above ground vegetables, meats, fish, seafood, seeds, nuts and fats.

My favorite fat sources are nuts, avocado, pork cracklings, pork rinds, fatty fishes and meats, coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, and limited ghee. (Not the recommended migraine diet but if that worked for me, Iā€™d do that instead.) High potassium (avocado, almond) gets balanced with salt.

Iā€™m dairy sensitive (cow and goat, better with sheep) and allergic to eggs. I have trouble with tomato. Thatā€™s just me, though. Otherwise Iā€™d add cheese, cream and eggs.

For breakfast today I had plain sheepā€™s yogurt with a keto fiber mix and hemp hearts. Two days ago it was kale greens with bacon and cauliflower. Sometimes itā€™s just keto fiber in almond milk. Iā€™m often unwell in the morning and looking to consume only what I have to to get my meds down.

I try to stay away from most grains, alcohol, fructose and all sugar and sugar substitutes. I try to keep carbs down to 12g net per meal, more if I have extra protein but not more than 20g. Sometimes I eat more if Iā€™ve worked out that day.

If my thresholds are high enough, I might cheat. I can get away with it occasionally, never as a habit. Cheating means lower thresholds for days, which is fine if you choose that.

This is all brilliant- thank you k

I have read the Stanton book etc and have thought about coming off my Topirimate but it bothers me because I function really well on itā€¦ ( only just started) ā€¦ but then I also worry about the damageā€¦ thought Iā€™d stay on it a bit and then come offā€¦ and try keto againā€¦ does that sound reasnable or madeness? Just come straight off?? Iā€™m in the UK and quite healthy anyway but itā€™s the first time in ages Iā€™ve felt wellā€¦ and I am a generally pretty low carb, saltly, fit, low sugar kind a gal soā€¦ but had kind of "lost my way a weeny bitā€¦ so ā€¦

Personally, if youā€™re doing well now, Iā€™d stick to whatā€™s working. Iā€™m keto and medicated. I have no intention of walking away from Effexor.

4 Likes

Thank you ; youā€™re a star and clearly really knowledgeable. Iā€™ve found this site and the clarity of your/ others experience / synopsis really helpful. I genuinely appreciate it , thank you. Iā€™ve had migraines all my life , I now realise and appear to have naturally done a " version of " these diets I think etc as a rule but ( Iā€™m now almost 50) recently ā€¦there were various stressors etc which probably " got me" . Also, I now know that I didnā€™t Know what a migraine actually was until I had what for me was quite traumatic turn of events and diagnosis. Sorry, recently, Iā€™ve been trying to put everything together and half if itā€™s quite scary reading. So I had opted for doing as you suggest and yet when I came across another site decided that the meds were immediately going to shrivel up my brain, cut off itā€™s function with immediate effect etc and so I should just wean off and start the keto diet alone. That terrifies me too now though as u now realise how unbelievably atrocious Iā€™ve been feeling for years and years and getting worse and I so donā€™t want to return to that ā€¦ what stops you coming off your meds fully? Sorry to ramble on. Probably a really inappropriate use of the site. Apologies if so

1 Like