Anyone read "Fighting The Migraine Epidemic" by Angela A Stanton?

I’m about 3/4 thru the book now and am finding it very interesting. There is a lot to unpack in her theories and I think several folks here might find this an interesting topic for debate/discussion and/or trial. I was already headed in the general direction Dr. Stanton suggests, so I’ll try for an n=1 and report back.

The basic gist is that the migraine brain is a special, throwback (atavistic) brain that used to be highly advantageous when hypersensitive meant you weren’t something else’s dinner but now it’s a disadvantage in our hyper stimulated environment. She feels the problem is that hypersensitive responses in a brain hard wired to over react creates nutritional and electrolyte imbalances in the brain that leads to chronic migraine. Her treatment is based on removing stressors, rebalancing hormones and maintaining a careful homeostasis and electrolyte balance on what is essentially a salt heavy ketogenic diet. (Yes, MAVers, I said extra salt. There are many fine points on which to debate here including her basic hypothesis, the definition of migraine and whether MAV comes into it, whether her approach could be successful for MAV and not just primary migraine pain, etc, etc.)

On a different day when I’m smart enough to translate 400 pages of biochemistry into blog length layman’s terms, I’ll talk about it in more detail. Today, though, the letters are already dancing on the screen and I have a big meeting in a few hours. So, later. This one is worth the discussion, though.

2 Likes