Anxious about how much my migraines have changed

Hello.

First off I should say that I am not a doctor. I am a person who has migraines & the whole MAV thing.

The second thing to say is that if your migraine is not your usual or is the worst headache you’ve ever had then you should go to the ER and get checked out. Headaches do change - that’s pretty normal. But, you need to know that those changes are okay for you.

The migraine you described is one that I’ve had a lot of times. You wake up with it, take some meds and they help a bit but the pain returns in a few hours and is worse and lasts longer. The meds taken may not have been strong enough to stop the migraine entirely - the Advil eased it off a bit but when the Advil wore off the pain returned & worsened.

I’ve had headaches just like that. I’ve had headaches that lasted 3 days - those are usually related to a large change in barometric pressure with a storm front approaching across the Great Plains. It can take several days for a large, slow-moving storm to reach my state and the headache lasts until the rain or snow arrive and begin to fall.

If you take over-the-counter painkillers more than twice a week that will train your brain to increase it’s pain level. (I’m sorry, I know how to describe this better than I’m doing. The book Heal Your Headache explains it well. So does the book The Pain Chronicles.)

(NB from admin: these images link to products this member member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Stress will always make things worse - the pain, the overall worry. It can be very helpful to see your neurologist or whatever doctor you see for your headaches to let them know you had one that was different and be reassured that all is okay.

My best - Molly