1 Hour flight on Tuesday! Help

Hi everyone

hope your having a less dizzy day today, the sun is finally out here in Kent!!

Ok so I am taking my first flight since the dizzies on Tuesday - only for an hour To Irelandā€¦ any tips for flying?! I will wear my sunglasses in the airport. Worried the anxiety will get the better of me, but dont want to take valium as need to be awake for the rest of the day!! Dreading it but feel I have to do this otherwise I will never fly again!!

Has anyone found Cinnarizine to help? (I am on nortriptyline)

xxx :cry:

I canā€™t give much advice as not yet flown myself with VM but I imagine all the hanging around at the airport may be the worst bit really. Loads of people are fine with flying so chances are you will be too. Hope you have a lovely time in Ireland x

Thank you Jem! Hope your feeling ok! Will let you know how it goes,I think the anxiety will be the hardest bit. Luckily its up and down the flight :frowning:

Hope your having a good weekend, how are you feeling now? When you seeing Dr S again? xxx :slight_smile:

Hi mrslala,
I have only flown once since having VM. I, like you was also terribly anxious about the whole trip. I wore my sunglasses from the time I left home,
in the airport and right up until it was time to board the plane. I also tried to stay away from the crowds while waiting for my flight but that was
easier said then done.
I was so anxious that I cut a Valium in half (so half my normal dose) and found that to help my anxiety but did not make me overly sleepy.
My flight lasted for an hour and a half and I did end up with a headache but not a huge, thumping migraine and I was slightly more dizzy than my normal
dizzy self but I managed to get through the rest of the day without falling in a heap. Although I was grateful to be able to get to bed fairly early that night.
My suggestions are, keep your sunglasses on while in the airport. If you think you could possibly tolerate a half dose or even less of Valium of what you
would normally take then take it, maybe try a smaller dose and see how it makes you feel before you go next week. And make sure you keep yourself well
hydrated on the plane as I felt very dehydrated after my short flight which Iā€™m sure contributed to my headache.
I hope you have a safe and an incident free as possible trip.
Take care.
Annie x

My first flight post VM was rough. Took 5 mg. of Propranalol for second flight and it was great! My GP has prescribed it as neededā€¦tried 10 mg. and it drained me, so I take 5 mg. as a preventive tranquilizer and it works well. Happy flying:)!

Sophie :smiley: yes I am not too bad right now, fingers crossed. I see Dr S on 1st May providing he is back now. Are you due to see him again?

Itā€™s great that you feel well enough for a holiday. I am enjoying the sunny and slightly warmer weather today as it has been freezing up until now hasnā€™t it!

Thinking about it, I had a few really horrid migraine headaches at airports pre-MAV. I guess they are not the best place for migraineurs but with a short flight you will be fine Iā€™m sure xx

thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate it!!

I will take your advice and wear my sunglasses & take half just to get me through and take the edge off. I have put off so much because of this and I am on a mission to accomplish things I have missed out on!

Glad your feeling better Jem, So pleased for you! Hope that things go well with Dr S When you next see him? Do you think you will add another med in? I am not due to see Dr S just yet, I am thinking about seeing him for some suggestions with regards to suffering quite a bit more with hormones once a month, but not sure what they can do for that? Glad your feeling better and hope things continue to improve for you :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone - I will report back hopefully in one piece :wink: x

i have mav and mdds and flew for the first time last summer and was so nervous but what helped was taking valium, getting the special ear plugs ā€œno planeā€ or ā€œno flyā€ i canā€™t remember but they are great ear disposible ear plugs. just relax, donā€™t stress, give yourself time, a window seat so you can look at the horizon if needed.

Good luck for your flight!!! I hear a lot of people talk about valium and ear planes!

Let us know how you go. So many people do so well :slight_smile:

NB from admin: these images link to products other members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!

Flight Kit!

Decongenstant (US) Sudafed (UK) ā€œEar Planesā€ Memory Foam Neck Pillow

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œilovesalemā€

i have mav and mdds and flew for the first time last summer and was so nervous but what helped was taking valium, getting the special ear plugs ā€œno planeā€ or ā€œno flyā€ i canā€™t remember but they are great ear disposible ear plugs. just relax, donā€™t stress, give yourself time, a window seat so you can look at the horizon if needed.

ā€” End quote

hey ilovesalem. How did you come to the point of having both MDDS and MAV diagnosis? I thought they were so closely linked it was impossible to seperate them

Hi everyone :smiley:

Thought id reply back and let you know how I got on!!!

Well I made it :slight_smile:

So glad I did it, and didnt feel any thing on the plane (always better in motion) The hardest bit was the airport but it is so quick now that I was straight through and there are lots of seats which helps!! I would recommend it to anyone who was doubting flying and putting it off, do it, you deserve the break :slight_smile:

Had a lovely time despite it raining in Ireland!! :lol:

awesome thanks for reporting back to us!!!

I take a drug very similar to Valium (Librium/chlordiazepoxide) every day, so I do fine when flying. Just to make sure, I take Dramamine and Zofran. I always have Imodium in my bag because if I have any vertigo, I get diarrhea - RARELY get significant vertigo anymore, but knowing I have meds just in case gives me confidence. Ambien for sleeping in strange places after unusual days. We all really need our sleep obviously. I love Zofran and wonder why itā€™s not over-the-counter. When my migraine wasnā€™t well controlled, wearing a baseball hat helped a lot. Although in those days, I didnā€™t fly or do ANYTHING except be taken to the doctor.
I hate packing.