Xanax or valium

Hey there, I need some advice. After feeling a tiny little bit better this last week my period is there (sorry guys) and I am starting to feel more awfull. The dizziness is coming back fullforce and even the vertigo. Nauseous all the time again. But the question is…which medicines can I take the best for the 3 or 4 upcoming days? What would you recommend?
I have got 0.5 mg xanax retard and 5mg Valium here. No experience with the valium.
Thanks all!

Can’t help you with this one - I took a valium once many years ago and it totally baned me out :relaxed: I have, however found that the natural version - valerian, works well as a relaxant for me. Good luck!

Sorry I didn’t help sooner with this, I just saw this post. Xanax has been the only medication to ease the dizziness (unfortunately doesn’t take it away and now doesn’t always help) but it enabled me to function for many years. I’ve only had Valium via IV in the hospital and felt groggy and out of body on it and wanted the Xanax back. But be careful Xanax can become physiologically addicting fairly quickly.

Thank you for your reply. I tried Valium last night 5 mg but it didn’t do anything, still no sleep and still rocking in my head. Grrrr I hate this illness.

No worries. Sorry to hear the Valium didn’t do anything. This illness effects my sleep a lot too, it’s miserable. I hate it too.

It’s such a relief to know others have issues at night too. It almost sends me in to panic attack mode when I wake up in the middle of the night and feel super dizzy. It’s the worst! :pensive:

1 Like

Sorry you are having so much trouble. I have been there. This is truly a frustrating illness and for me it has certainly been hormone related. I find that sleeping on two pillows, at about a 45 degree angle, helps. I cannot lay flat, ever. Are you off all caffeine and alcohol? (www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com

I am not off caffeine…as it actually helps me a lot of the time, but I rarely drink alcohol because my head basically rejects it. As the alcohol leaves my system, my head is so swimmy and dizzy it is almost unbearable. It will usually wake me up in the middle of the night. Too bad too because a couple glasses of wine sure would do a lot to help deal with this frustrating condition! :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth neither am I. I actually find milky coffee a really good headache remedy.

1 Like

So last night I took 1 mg of Xanax and for the first time since this started (April '15) I have slept like a baby. Woke up every 3 hours but could easily fall back to sleep. I know xanax is a benzo and I do not want to get addicted to it but wow that felt good. Now I am hungover and feeling not that great…but I didn’t felt that great yesterday either so who knows what is causing what.

1 Like

@mgstegner I don’t usually wake up due to dizziness, but often if something else wakes me up (I’m such a light sleeper) I can get dizzy real fast while lying there trying to fall back to sleep. Or sometimes I am extremely dizzy when I lay down in bed and have to lay there a few hours for it to calm down before I can sleep or I can’t sleep at all. I also can’t lay flat, have a regular pillow and a smaller pillow at the moment. I’d like to get a better/more comfortable pillow combination but every time I try to change it my neck hurts even more & I get dizzier and can’t lay there.