Weight gain on celexa

Hi everyone,
I have been on celexa for a little over two years now. I am about 90 to 95% better on it. The main problem I have been having is weight gain. The first couple months I lost about 5 pounds and now I have gained about 15 pounds. I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to lose weight on antidepressants? I definitely don’t want to get off this med but I am worried I will keep gaining weight. Also, does anyone know if it is because my metabolism is slower or if I am just eating more?? I do seem to be eating more then I used to because my anxiety is lower but not a huge difference that I have noticed.

Thanks!

Briana

Hi Briana,

Same thing happened to me when I was on 15 mg. When I dropped the dose to 10 mg I was able to lose the weight and keep it off.

The weight gain side effect is proportional to the dosing. Would you consider dropping the dose? You may still have adequate VM control at 10 mg. If you do this, drop the dose very slowly over about 3 months. Draw up a timeline and discuss with your GP.

S

first off, that is wonderful that you are feeling so well!!!did you have any trouble walking and has it helped with this?

what dose are you on now? I haven’t been on celexa but i was on prozac pre-mav. for years i was on 20 mg, and i remember on that dose, i was able to lose weight through diet and exercise. however, when i went up to 40 mg, i was pretty much unable to lose any weight. so i agree with what scott said- at a lower dose you may be able to do this- however, you have to weigh if it is worth the mav potentially coming back…which is worse i guess, the weight or the vertigo- only you can decide. good luck!!!

Also- you won’t necessarily keep gaining weight as time goes on. On prozac I gained maybe 5-7 lbs- I’m not sure when because I do naturally fluctuate- however I was on the 40 mg dose for maybe 3 years and never gained any more after that. So the time you are on it isnt necessarily going to determine how much you will gain. I firmly believe the weight gain with most of these meds is from your metabolism changing- unless you are eating massive amounts of food- it isn’t really in your control.

Since trialing mav meds I have gained 25 lbs…I have never been overweight in my life. For awhile I just kept gaining and gaining while eating very little and exercising- it just isn’t in my control. I seem to have plateued but of course this is just until i try my next med and will likely gain even more. Don’t beat yourself up over the weight because it isn’t your fault- it is the medication- you just have to decide which is more important to you- the mav or the weight.

also how long have u been at your current dose? have u had to up it at all during this time to keep getting the benefits of the drug?

Thanks for the replies,

The weight gain is bad but I do have to agree feeling better is great. I can honestly say that I am thankful every single day for this medication! It REALLY has saved my life. I mean I have still had some problems with dizziness and anxiety but it’s manageable now. I am taking 20 mg and have been for a little over two years. I could lower my medication but I have a HUGE fear that my symptoms will return, let alone withdrawl side effects. I am starting a year long program for school and it will be very intense so I am not in a place where I want to risk lowering my dose.

Sarahd - I was on 10 mg for a month then 20 mg for the past two years now and it has stayed steady for me. My symptoms were pretty bad where I was having trouble even getting out of the house and this med gave me my life back! I think I will try and just diet and exercise. I do think I have eaten more since on this med and I feel hungrier. I have always been thin also so this is difficult and new to me. My doctor that prescribed it said that celexa is one that does not cause weight gain as much. Another weird side effect I have is very real dreams. I can remember them so clearly and my doctor said that was unusual for this med. That should probably be a different thread but thought I would mention it.

Thanks.

that sounds smart- I would definitely stay on it too. hope exercise and diet will help! I understand about the weight thing- when you have never been overweight it is kind of a shock- but feeling better and being able to function is way more important.

I’ve been on celexa for MAV since March 2012. While I feel great (98-100% normal most days), I, too have gained at least 15 pounds since I’ve been on it, so you’re definitely not the only one. From what I’ve read, weight gain is pretty common with antidepressants. I’ve considered switching from this to topamax, but I’ve been feeling SO GOOD and don’t want to mess it up. Honestly if I have to pick one, I’d rather be fat & feeling good then skinny & dizzy :mrgreen: It has really helped me get my life back too. No idea where I’d be without it. Since being on this medication, I’ve been able to work full time again, fly on a plane several times, snorkel, even go on a boat!!I couldn’t fathom doing any of this 2 years ago. Glad to hear that it’s helped you out a lot too

PS - celexa has given me VERY weird, vivid dreams too.

suki that is wonderful!!! you should write a success story :slight_smile:

celexa seems to be this magical ssri- i have seen so many on here and another site benefit form it. prozac and lexapro made me way dizzier maybe i will try celexa?

Hi all

I am on Celexa and topamax.

I started celexa years before I even knew I had MAV (docs had dismissed my vertigo as 'anxiety) and prescribed an anti-anxiety med.

I can’t say celexa did anything to help my MAV at all but I also don’t think it put much weight on me either - so maybe it doesn’t do much to me at all! Amazing how we are all so different!

I am still on celexa as I am finding the withdrawls super hard BUT to those who are on it and finding relief , I’d say stay on it! In comparison to other meds, I’m told it’s relatively ‘safe.’ With anti anxiety meds it’s more about eating more than it is about your metabolism. It’s so hard though. I put on kgs on Pizotifen due to eating more and didn’t even realise I was doing it!

Can you try keeping a food diary for a month and keep a closer eye on your calorie intake?

Hi Suki,

Asli here- we had communicated through PM about a year ago when MAV first hit me and you had given me some guidance. At the time you had said you’re getting off Celexa and getting awful sx due to discontinuation. Can’t PM anymore since that feature no longer works on this forum :(.

Are you doing ok now? Did you hold up ok without the Celexa? Can you tell me how long withdrawal lasted? I’m getting down on the Nortriptyline dose I’ve been on and feeling worse and trying to figure out if it’s due to withdrawal or b/c the Nort was actually helping.
Would appreciate any insight!

Thanks
Asli