Venlaflaxine - a positive view

I just wanted to post as when, after three horrible drug trials, the Neuro suggested Venlaflaxine (Effexor) every thread I looked at terrified me. I was initially too scared to even try it and it’s turned my life around. In conjunction with Vrt, diet, sleep and supplements I’m back to around 80% of normal capacity in a few months. Just wanted to weigh in on the side of a controversial drug. I know I’m still relatively new to it and I haven’t had the experience of trying to get off it again, and it might not be recommended or right for you but if the Neuro suggests it, there really is a chance it can help. I wish everyone success in finding whichever way helps for all of us.

1 Like

Hi Teemarie, thanks for this. I’m also on venlafaxine and have had relative success. I was scared after reading lots of things online but it has worked wonders for me. Hope you continue to feel better

1 Like

You too! :+1:

1 Like

Venlafaxine has been a lifesaver for me. Completely turned it around after an 8 year struggle to reach a diagnosis. I still get relapses around period time and under stress which are as bad as they ever were but without the effexor I would not be able to live even a semblance of a normal life.
Going on it is hell; a week of projectile vomiting etc but was worth hanging on in.
Be very careful if trying to lower the dose. The GP may tell you that you have to cut by a whole pills worth but for me that led to 2 weeks of intense stomach cramps that I did not even connect to withdrawal. I ended up sticking with my dose (75mg) and coming to terms with the fact that I may take it forever.
I have never come across anyone, except those who suffer, who have even heard of MAV.

Good luck to all