Third day of Propranolol

Last night was my third dose of propranolol - I am SO lightheaded and tired! I wasnt this bad when starting any of the other meds (nori, SSRIs). For those of you who have used this med and had these side effects, did it go away after a bit? I dont know if I should email my neuro and tell him or just give it another few days and wait and see. :frowning:

Hi,

I just had to go off Propranolol after being on 30 mg for a little over 2 weeks. I had bad depression, horrible nightmares, extremely cold fingers, toes and lips that were all turning blue and heart palpitations. I was only taking 1/2 tablet for the 2 weeks and my doctor wanted me to start taking the whole tablet of 60 mg eventually. Unfortunately, I can’t take it.

I am seeing my doctor today and will talk with her to see what other meds I can try. I wish the I could still take the Propranolol as it really lessened my headaches.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Take care,
Donna

I just wanted to let you know I did see my doctor today and she is adding Topomax 25 mg to my Effexor 75 mg.

I also have to see a cardiologist now because she’s worried about the effects I had from the Propanolol. She said I shouldn’t have become cyanotic (lips,toes and fingers blue) on the low amount of 30 mg. I was thinking, great yet another doctor to go to. Does it ever end :frowning:

Well, day 4 of the propranolol and I’m still very lightheaded and tired. PLUS my normal migraine aura is worse - ears ringing, tingling all over, just plain crappy! NOt sure if its because of the propranlol, going off the Cipralex and nori or maybe a combination of everything. I havent felt this awful in a long time. Not sure if I should email neuro or stick it out for a bit longer!!

— Begin quote from “Tamsha”

Well, day 4 of the propranolol and I’m still very lightheaded and tired. PLUS my normal migraine aura is worse - ears ringing, tingling all over, just plain crappy! NOt sure if its because of the propranlol, going off the Cipralex and nori or maybe a combination of everything. I havent felt this awful in a long time. Not sure if I should email neuro or stick it out for a bit longer!!

— End quote

I may be wrong but I think Propranolol take a long time to work (in the order of weeks or months). If you are taking too high a dose of it I wonder if you are experiencing hypotension and consequent insufficient blood flow. If so perhaps lower the dose and build it up more slowly.

Personally I make one change to my meds at a time (even if it causes me a lot of suffering to do it this way) because I am determined to know what is causing what effect and varying two or more meds at the same time makes it too hard to know what’s causing what.

AFAIK there is no interaction between Propranolol and your Cipralex or noritrtiptyline so you could have made only one change to your meds. One way forward would be to restore the Cipralex and noritriptyline and exclude the propranolol, then one you are back to a stable state with those two meds you could introduce the propranolol. Alternatively fully wash out the Cipralex and noritriptyline (if that’s your intention) before starting the propranolol. There will be other paths too depending on your symptoms and your experience to date with Cipralex and noritriptyline. Good luck with whatever way you choose.

-Wexan