Swimming

Flygirl, when you mention bran cereal, I have two thoughts. First, I’ve never met a bran cereal that doesn’t contain malt in some form, and malt’s listed among common triggers. Doesn’t mean you’re getting enough malt to blow you out, but maybe contributes some on bad days? Second, if you’re thinking raisin bran, raisin’s one of the dried fruits on the list, too.

As for the chlorine, those pools that seem to have more hypochlorite definitely are more unpleasant. Whether they’ve triggered me I couldn’t say. Contrariwise, the one indoor pool I tried in my travels that seemed to be faking seawater seemed much more pleasant.

Hey Dave, I checked the ingredients and malt was not listed. Thanks for the info though. I don’t eat raisins - just a plain blah tasting generic bran cereal.

The moment I get in the pool, it’s like it all goes away. I feel like the people in the film, Cocoon. And when I get out, all disorientation and ears and everything comes back, also like the sad part in Cocoon. So is this MdDS or MAV, or does it matter? Would short pool workouts be rehabituation, or make it worse over time?

Bluesky,

I’ve raised that question on numerous occasions and never really got anywhere with it; i.e., is it MAV, MdDb, chronic subjective dizziness or some combination of all of them? While there are some overlapping meds for them (e.g. Effexor), the choices tend to run in different directions. I’m not sure whether a label is helpful, but if there is a distinction to be made, I’d like to know what it is. At this point, best I can tell, if you have dizziness that either came on after a passive motion event and/or goes away with passive movement, it will be labeled MdDb. However, that is not hard and fast and there are chronic MdDb sufferers who had spontaneous onset and who don’t feel better in a car.

It’s all very confusing to me.

Andy

Hi Andy,
I agree the labels are confusing. I don’t have headaches and the dizziness came on all of a sudden after a long car ride. But everything people on this forum for MAV say pertaining to dizziness or rocking, I can identify with. So to me, it is obviously the same thing. It may be hard to know the motion event because there can be a delay. I didn’t think the drive was worth mentioning, even though I went to emergency the next morning and it was obvious to everyone that I had just gotten out a car after a long drive. So maybe MAVers had a motion event that was cumulative and not completely evident like mine. If the dizziness is relieved by motion, but not the migraines, that’s another story, too.

As to why I don’t feel migraines, it might be the way each person reacts to the disorientation. Or maybe I haven’t developed it yet. Or otherwise, maybe my stress level isn’t as bad as others…yet :wink: It took several months for tinnitus to set in, so I might be just slow to the migraine party.

Swimming really began to strengthen, condition, and tone my body.its Improved flexibility and strength.

Can somebody explain to me what orthostatic intolerance is??? I have just started back swimming after 10 months of what was first diagnosed as acute labrynthitis but has now been diagnosed as migraine variant balance disorder. I experience the rocking sensation most days. I am struggling to swim 20 lengths of a 25mtr pool where I used to swim a mile at least twice a week. I completely lost my confidence when this all happened. My muscles seem to be weak now and I get extremely cold very quickly. I am on PIzotifen 1.5mg daily and wonder if this has something to do with the weakness and the cold?

Brigh, I wouldn’t fuss about how you can’t swim what you used to.

I’m about to get back in the pool after a several month period of avoidance, because of some awkward episodes. I too used to go a mile or a bit more,varying through all the strokes I know, a few times a week. Now I expect to start with a few laps. Thassit, a few laps, and build up carefully.

Thanks David, I shall just go for a few lengths when I get back in the New Year! Will have to be content with that, and enjoy the coffee (decaf of course) with my friends afterwards. I’ll concentrate more on my walking as that is a great stress reliever and I seem to be managing a few miles ok.
Happy New Year and hope 2014 is good for you.

Good luck with getting back into swimming Brightstone. I was scared to try it, but found that when I did go back I could do it unless I pushed myself too far. I can even to flip turns! For me I realized sound is a huge trigger, and being in the water was actually soothing. As soon as I stop though, I can feel dizzy if it is loud (a baby was crying 2 lanes away for a swim lesson). I felt dizzy after a couple other times, but I knew I pushed it and should have stopped sooner. I also have to watch dehydration. I’ve gotten lazy lately, and it’s too cold for the outdoor pool, but I’m looking forward to getting back to it (sloooowly).

Luna, how much do you find earplugs help you with the sound sensitivity?

Hi David,

I don’t have water ear plugs. Regular ear plugs don’t really help me out of the water…I need to block out the sound completely with a more consistent soothing sound. It’s the fluctuations and sudden loud sounds that set me off. I use earbud headphones and play pink noise or other music, and that helps a ton. I don’t need them as much as I used to, but on days I am really sound sensitive I wear them shopping, in crowds, running, or even will just play pink noise to dampen the sound in the house. If I get back into swimming regularly I’ll try the water proof ear plugs or maybe splurge on the waterproof ear buds and listen to music while I swim:) Do you use them?

Hi, Luna

I’m thankful that the noise doesn’t bother me whilst swimming.

I do wear earplugs a LOT. I wear them because noise, and some music, bothers me, and because I don’t want to lose more hearing. While my hearing is not “clinically” impaired, I hear much worse than many people, even my age (64 on 2/7) or older. I spent 26 years with a motorcycle as primary transportation, and despite riding relatively quiet beasts and wearing full-face helmets, it cost. I learned toward the very end that if I’d worn earplugs in addition to the helmets, I might have not lost hearing from it. Also used loud power tools for decades. Still do, but the loud ones (e.g saws and rotary hammers) only with earplugs.

The MAV? Probably my hearing is more sensitive when the weather’s changeable or my head’s fuzzy, but that’s about it.

It is getting warmer here in Queensland (Australia) and I would normally start to go swimming. The pool I usually go to is 50 m long, has low chlorine, is normally not too busy and is heated. I used to swim for about 30 minutes and I prefer breast strokes. I am wondering whether going swimming is currently a good idea? I am still recovering from a vestibular migraine attack about 3 weeks ago, and I am feeling about 70-80%. Does anyone have experience with swimming while still recovering from a VM attack? Should I wait until I feel 90-100%?

1 Like

I found that swimming helped me, but I wouldn’t like to recommend it to you just in case! Now that I am fairly stable and off the pills (pizotifen) I swim twice a week - I really missed it during the UK lockdowns - but wear ear plugs and a swim band to protect my ears as I have a perforated ear drum in my left ear. I feel good in the pool, but I do find that my tinnitus volume goes up post swim, however, I can put up with that. Maybe give it a cautious try for about 10 - 15 minutes and see how you get on? Fingers crossed!

1 Like

That is great to hear that swimming helped you @Janb. I can’t have earplugs (anything in my ears makes me feel dizzy), but I really like the idea of a swim band. I don’t currently have one, but I googled it and I can buy one easily.

My main fear is that I will start feeling disoriented while in the swimming pool (or after getting out), but it is a good idea to try for about 10-15 minutes. I used to love swimming before VM.

1 Like