Starting Effexor at an extra low dose

What is the best approach to properly up-taper Venlafaxine XR? Dr Hain recommends that I open the capsule and use 1/3 of the beads. The problem is that there are over 100 beads so it is a time consuming and imprecise approach.

Are there other forms of Venlafaxine that have less beads? Hain says they usually have about 30 beads in his printout. However, as I said, mine has over 100. I’ve heard there is a tablet version, is it as effective?

Lastly, in his patient instructions, Hain wanted me to start on just “one bead at a time”. I previously mentioned previous issues with Venlafaxine. However, given that there are over 100 beads in a 37.5mg capsule this would be an arduous process.

Hi!

I started with Effexor last Saturday. My capsules have about 140/150 little beads in it. So yeah my husband makes sure he puts only 50 in one capsule…it is quite a hazzle but probably worth it. Yesterday I started with an extra 50 in one capsule, so one in the morning and one at night. Hopefully I will be able to get to the full dose next week.
Good luck and I hope it will help you to get rid of your symptoms.

My Venlafaxine 37.5 ER (generic) has 40 little balls. Easier to get half of them. I pour 20 into my oatmeal and leave the rest in the capsule.

Shazam: I thought it was better to put the beads back in the capsule and then take it…due to the xr? So the capsule partly protects the xr function? But maybe I am wrong ;-).

I pour the first half of the balls on my oatmeal and then protect the 2nd half in the capsule for the next day.

But I read about it on Tim Hain’s site.

But doesn’t he say that you have to put the part that you want to take back in the capsule and take the capsule with it?

I don’t know but that’s the way I do it. And yes I have to throw away the other beads because I do not have spare capsules.

So I am on day 6 of 12.5mg. I don’t feel I am at my worst. However, I am noticeable worse than days 2-3.

Here’s how I rate my days: (0 = no issues, 10 = extreme incapacitating dizziness and vertigo)

A good day is 4/10, average 6/10 and 7/10 or higher means I stay home all day. I probably feel like I am a 7/10.

Day 3 was probably my best day. I was able to move a bunch of old furniture in the office and not be too bothered. Today I am feeling worse.

Should I even bother with the up taper?

That is totally up to you. I upped every week with 12.5 mg but that is mainly because I am really sick at the moment and I want these pills to work as quickly as they can.

Do you work? Or do you have the time to feel sick? It all kind of depends on your situation I guess.

I work part-time with a flexible schedule.

I have time to experiment, but I would rather not waste it.

Today I bumped up to 25mg or so. I definitely feel the effects. I probably feel the worst I’ve felt in weeks. I think the drug is responsible as I felt better in the morning before I up-tapered. However, the drug knocks some of the bad physical symptoms. So although I know I don’t feel great, I would generally feel a lot worse if I felt this way.

I’ll try this dose for a few days and if I still feel crummy I’ll go back to 12.5mg

I thought I’d report back. I’m on day 2 of 25mg. I felt fairly lousy after taking the drug and a bit better 6 hours later.

However I was much, much better about 10-12 hours after taking the drug.

Does this mean it takes a while for my body to get used to the drug?

OR

My body prefers when there is less effexor in the system?

As I mentioned I felt better when on 12.5mg last week.

Do you have the Effexor XR?

It is interesting because I feel worse after 10-12 hours. I am now on my 4th day of 37.5 mg.

I do believe that you can’t really say if it’s working or not yet…most people I have heard are saying that you should at least try 3 months before you can say anything about it. Unless if you cant stand the side effects ofcourse.

I am on Venlafaxine XR I believe.

Thanks for the wise words. I’d prefer to not feel worse, but I’ll try it for a few more days.

So the xr should mean that it gives a constant dosage…weird how everybody reacts differently.

I know that feeling like shit immidiatly makes you doubting ey? All the things I have read about of Effexor is that the people who do get through the first months eventually get their symptoms to a minimum (overall).

But if you are not in a hurry to let this medicine do its job…you can also stick to the 12.5mg for a bit longer and see what that does. I am really sick at the moment already so I just bumped it up because I am bedridden and want this pill to work ASAP.

Fair enough. Your issues are a lot worse than mine. Luckily I am not bedridden. I was kind of bed ridden a few years ago so I can relate.

Now luckily that is a fairly rare occurrence (maybe once a year). However, I do still have days where I stay home and sit on the couch and close my eyes.

I’d say my chief issues for the past few months are mild vertigo, dizziness and reading and cognitive issues.

I’m back to 12.5mg. So far I have had the best stretch of days in weeks.

I take 12.5mg effexor in the morning. Although it makes me feel a bit off for an hour or two, I start to improve a few hours later.

I also take 1 low dose aspirin in the evening to help me relax a bit and make me more productive.

Whatever works for you works for you!!! Good to hear that you feel better on 12.5 mg. I have read things that Dr Hain also says that some people have improved with just a very small dose. And the less medication the better I think! Hope you will continue to improve.

Think I will start with asprinin as well. I think for me the rocking feeling is part of a blood flow issue in my vestibular system. And I have heard that asprinin is making your blood less thick…so maybe that helps.

The 81mg aspirin seems to help with low grade headaches / migraines that perk up again later in the day.

I tried a regular aspirin a few months ago and it helped. However, it gave me a withdrawal headache the next day. So I prefer a low dose.

Anyways I cannot guarantee it will help so take at your own risk.