Spots/squiggly lines in vision?

Hey all,

Have any of you expierienced clear/dark spots in vision or squiggly lines, flashes of light when looking at lighter colored surfaces? (i.e. White walls, sky, etc). I’ve been to ophthalmologists and optometrists as well as neurologists and they all couldn’t find anything such as retinal detachment or my vitreous gel shrinking causing “floaters”. It’s very odd, I see them every day and they’ve only developed after being diagnosed with MAV. thanks!

I saw an eye surgeon for this year’s ago. It’s completely benign and harmless. This is just aging. The gel in the eye breaks up with age and causes these artefacts. Nothing to worry about. Not MAV related.

Thanks!

No problem, this thing is so horrible its easy to start worrying about any oddness!

oh yeah, i get this and that’s when i know a migrainous ‘attack’ is coming on. i get spots, squiggly lines, flashes of light, my left pupil gets bigger than my right, i get after-images when i close my eyes, it gets harder to look at my iPhone, etc etc i could go on…

It’s a very common migrainous symptom. putting the M in MAV.

I saw Prof Ansari who told me my eyes are fine but i have Ancephalgic Migraine symptoms.

Do your eye symptoms get better/worse on different days? Mine do.

I have had eye floaters since I was 13 but more recently after the migraines started I get super sensitive to light and see the flashing brightness. Usually it happens with really bright lights (even for normal people I think?) but with the migraines it’s typical. It’s called a visual aura. Your vision can change before the onset of a migraine.

Sometimes it gets so bad for me; any light can cause the visual disturbances. It’s also comes in strong after images. Such as if I look at the sun I can see 10 large purple blobs moving in my vision, I realized it’s an intense “after image” .
Do you also get the after images effect?

The best thing I can do is put on a pair of sunglasses and retreat to a darker location.

Yes, I’ve had the same complaint for years. I’m just used to them now. :confused: