So I met up with a new doctor

If you’re not diagnosed and if your treatment is not effective please see if you have a cervical rib or an elongated cervical (C7) transverse process by doing a cervical x-ray at a place where you can trust. If you were ever told that you have B/P difference in both your arms (20 or more) you may have a condition called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. This can cause Subclavian Steal Syndrome which can cause the same vestibular symptoms. Many of the ENT doctors miss it as it is a vascular issue. By just doing the exercise (Thoracic Outlet syndrome) you get relief from vertigo and oscillopsia, if you have 24/7 symptoms.
This is the reason my symptoms were worse if I stay on my left side while I sleep. Also, the story about the relief of my symptoms with the silicone ear plugs is more evident here as I was raising my arm up to push it in, I was releasing the pressure of my subclavian artery and blood was going to my brain

That was my issue. I figured it out by keeping a diary. It was my hand movements and my posture (especially left hand) that caused my symptoms. A whole week I took rest from all my chores and my symptoms were better (including use of phones and computers ). I had to insist that my doctor repeat my cervical x-ray. I have an elongated C7 transverse process which was cutting off subclavian artery blood supply that was going to my posterior circulation (cerebellum ). The doctor who read my first cervical x-ray reported it normal years ago.
Currently, my doctor is doing further investigation.

Thank you for your advice. What was your symptoms?

Wow had the same test marching in place with my eyes closed for one hundred steps and opened my eyes and ninety degrees to my right. I was earlier diagnosed with vestibular migraines and by the last neurologist PPPD. I’ve been on gabapentin (400mg) amitriptyline (20mg) and effexor (37.5mg) since early last month. Have seen three neurologists in the same hospital network (they can all view my tests and history) and each one has put me on a separate drug. My symptoms have been very mild recently and seeing the neurologist for followup early next month. Oh I was also given valium to use as needed for anxiety which does make me more dizzy and nauseous. I also did four months of VRT this summer and saw improvement. Hope to get back to work soon.

Thank you for replying. I was sort of mind blown by the marching test. Hope you feel better.

Have you ever ruled out thoracic Outlet syndrome and Subclavian steal syndrome?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2640015/

Yes same for me. You don’t like effexor? Seems like it helps many people.

I have never tried Effexor. My first med that doc gave me was Nort. I couldn’t sleep and I had insomnia so I asked the doc to give me Ami. I initially started at 10mg and upped the dose after 1 week to 15mg by cutting the tabs by half. I’m almost to a month in and I don’t really know if it’s helping but I am sleeping well.

Ami would definitely help you sleep and hope it’s helping to lessen your symptoms of dizziness. I was on gabapentin alone for nine months then second neuro added the ami and third neuro added effexor. You may need to up dosages, add other meds, and drop some depending if your symptoms change.

The only symptoms i’m having is when I’m laying down and get up, I get this rush on my head and sometimes make me wanna get dizzy but not really and i have imbalance. My leg feels like i put the wrong foot on the ground or when i’m standing still, i may get a rocking sensation. I don’t know if ami is helping with the imbalance but sound sensitivity is almost non existent now. Before, I couldn’t stand staplers, dishes, someone’s voice, etc.

Apologizing for asking, but how many months in are you for MAV/VM?
I noticed my sound sensitivity went away after a couple months in.

No need to apologize. Started mid september of this year so roughly it has been about 3 month

Sounds about the same time frame for me when the sound sensitivity started to reduce.
Sorry that you also have this condition we call VM

Hello all,

Did you ever had a cervical x-ray to rule out cervical rib or an elongated C7 transverse process (Thoracic Outlet syndrome). If so, you could end up with subclavian steal syndrome and its symptoms are exactly what most of the people experience with vestibular diseases. Many ENT doctors miss it as it is a vascular issue. So, if you are not relieved of your vestibular symptoms please ask your doctor to rule out thoracic Outlet syndrome and Subclavian steal syndrome. You may have to go to vascular surgeons. Thoracic Outlet syndrome can be diagnosed with a simple cervical x-ray that are performed in a reputable x-ray department as mine was misread that was done few years ago.

SSCD (Superior semicircular Canal Dehiscence) and Perilymph fistula are ENT issues. Subclavian Steal Syndrome, Vertebral insuffiency Syndrome and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (including elongated C7 transverse process) are vascular issue and can cause dizzinss along with other conditions. Once your heart and brain has no issues, next step for the doctor is to go for your ears. Carotid doppler is not reliable in certain cases. Many of them miss the following as stated in this journal.
Here is another cause for dizziness http://www.bmj.com/.../neglected-cause-dizziness-and-neck… I am not sure that all of you know that any patient who complaints of dizziness is expected to have a cervical x-ray to rule out cervical rib (including an elongated cervical transverse process) in ENT books before starting all these horrible drugs. I didn’t at the early stages and when I did, x-ray was read wrong and they missed elongated transverse process. I am going through physio and a simple physio could have saved my nursing licence and 23 years of dizziness. Here is the link for that physio. It will not hurt anyway

http://www.uhn.ca/.../Exercises_for_Thoracic_Outlet… ( it is from a hospital website)

:peach:My humble request to all of you who are not feeling better is to have that plain x-ray and an x-ray on anterior posterior view. Goodluck!

@gracyjoseph I cannot access the list about the other cause of dizziness but I am very interested in it. Can you somehow make the website accessible? I’ve been diagnosed with vestibular migraine but I always felt like there could be a vascular component to mine in the least. I’ve had a cervical spine MRI but not a plain x-ray yet. Thanks1

Please google "dizziness and elongated C7 transverse process " article will come up.

Vertebral artery Insufficiency syndrome, subclavian steal syndrome, elongated C7 transverse process, TMJ, Carotid stenosis, cervicogenic dizziness, SSCD, perilymph fistula and other ENT issues can cause dizziness along with many other things.