So basically, at 24, this it the rest of my life, huh?

900 mg is like the starting dose for treating migraine headaches, if u are tolerating it i wonder why your dr wouldnt raise the dose?

He may. Iā€™m not sure what he has planned. I just called him and spoke with a nurse and told her nothing was helping and I couldnā€™t stand the constant anxiety and dizziness anymore. She spoke with him, called me back, and said that heā€™d like to see me again.

where do u live?

Southern Indiana

have u been able to work during this or are u in school?

I canā€™t imagine working like this. I was a full-time student, but when I got hit with this, I dropped out a semester, then this most recent semester, I only took two classes. I canā€™t imagine having a job where I have to work 8-10 hours a day like thisā€¦I try not to think about it. Iā€™m a 24 year old loser, essentially. All my friends are off graduating, starting careers, going on dates, starting families, and Iā€™m stuck at home every single night, lucky to even be able to watch some Netflix without feeling awful and hoping on Mvertigo for eight hours trying to find the slightest hint of relief.

Also, Sarah - I know youā€™ve tried quite a few meds of different kinds, and several of them made your symptoms worse. Iā€™m just curious, how long did you take each med? If you can remember.

yup i am a 30 yr old loser too my life ended at 26. i cant remember each one but i tried to stick it out for at least a month if not 2, my dr. said basically 8 weeks max if it isnt helping you then stop it. i think any longer then that for maybe 3 is a waste of time.

I always thought each med had to be trialed for anywhere between 4-6 months before it could be dismissed?

Hi I just wanted to post quickly and say there are solutions!!! I was dizzy/ nausea for almost a year and finally got relief from citalopram and chiropractic care. The chiro and meds helped within a month, but took a few before I was 100%
Everyone finds their own cure. I am convinced that this is from a virus that triggered it, causes neurological damage and that just takes a long time to heal
The ssri s work as a bandaid while u are healing ā€¦ Good luck and do t give up hope!!! Soon u will look back and mRvel at your strength and learn how to care and advocate for yourself ā€¦ Have been there and know u will come back

Thank you for your encouraging words. I canā€™t wait to escape from this abyss. Itā€™s been a year straight now, but Iā€™ve only known it was MAV since January. And thatā€™s interesting - my neurologist, Dr. Cherian at the Cleveland Clinic, suggested the same thing about the potential for this to be triggered by a virus. Are you able to live a normal life at this point - primarily work full-time?

Nick, donā€™t give up hope. I was just diagnosed last month but have had my issues or about 8 months now: constant lightheadedness, kinda dizzy, swaying and rocking sensation, head pressure. I know mine is stress and anxiety related and Iā€™m in counseling for that. Iā€™m starting on a new med tomorrow (even though they terrify me), gonna start the Heal Your Headache diet, exercise more. There are just so many things to try and Iā€™m just so hopeful! Just keep trying and stay strong :slight_smile:

Bridget :smiley:

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Thanks! I was just diagnosed in January. One med down, many to go. Gabapentin didnā€™t work for me, nor did PT. So Iā€™m excited to see what my neurologist has in store for me. What med are you starting on?

Iā€™m gonna try Effexor. Nervous because of what Iā€™ve read about it but Iā€™ve got to try, ya know?

And I was first diagnosed with MĆ©niĆØreā€™s diseaseā€¦what a mind job that was!!! So, for me, being diagnosed with migraine is much better :wink:

Yes, I was misdiagnosed with Meniereā€™s for a month or so, as well. Sometimes I feel like that might have actually been better, because at least that comes and goes as opposed to remaining constant, 24/7. That was one of the big hints when I went to the Cleveland Clinic that I wasnā€™t a Meniereā€™s case, among many other things the more informed doctors there could pick out that doctors back home were clueless to. But yeah, starting new meds always seems like a scary endeavor, but itā€™s so necessary (along with diet). I would do anything just to be able to stand without feeling like Iā€™m going to fall againā€¦I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve felt like this for a literal year straight now. Good luck to you. Iā€™ve seen a few people who say Effexor has helped them. Just give it at least a month but more realistically several months before saying it doesnā€™t work! And it seems like most meds make us worse before better, so thatā€™s a good sign. It means itā€™s challenging your MAV stricken brain. Which is good.

Thanks Nick! My cell AND my iPad died at the same time last nightā€¦lol!!! I just get nervous about meds fooling with my brain. But, Iā€™m tired of the constant headache and dizzy/lightheaded so I have to try. Weā€™ll see :slight_smile:

Indeed! Keep us all updated. Good luck to you.

Iā€™ve found since re-entering my life that MAV is very common. A lot of people have no idea they have it. My mom had always had it and didnā€™t really know why she would feel so crummy sometimes until she read some of the migraine books I had lying around. Anyway, Iā€™m on a ton of meds and doing great. My mom is on two meds at much lower doses than mine and doing great. She frequently tells me about some golf buddy of hers that has these symptoms and now she knows what it is. If the person believes her that migraine can be so weird, they seek help and get better too. So many people never find the forum as others have said. Many are probably like me - got better, resumed life and got crazy, wonderfully busy. I just drop in sometimes to try to spread hope.
Vestibular rehab wonā€™t help you when youā€™re really sick. Youā€™ve tried several meds, but you havenā€™t tried them all. I was as desperate as the most desperate MAVer there ever was. That was 5 years ago and now feels like a past life.

1 Like

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œNickWatkinsā€

And good luck on your crash. Hope it doesnā€™t linger. Is this your first one?

ā€” End quote

Thanks Nick, it was short lived and i am back to about 75% - i hope in the next few months i will go higher and higher :slight_smile: I have only put on a little weight as a side effect, am a bit irritable at times, but this is a small price to pay for my life back.

Also i know that pizotifen itself doesnā€™t cause weight gain - it increases appetite which increases weight - got to be disciplined! But i love food! haha!

How are you? I really do know how you feel - the swaying killed me too - walking as a huge issue. Rest as much as you can, but do force yourself to do little walks around the block everyday x