Sleeping angle

I’ve noticed I almost only get vertigo attacks in bed … usually the mini-spins, not big attacks, but sometimes with loud tinnitus, has anyone experimented with sleeping angle to the relief of symptoms?

You know that’s my case too! But almost daily!

Ugh, poor you … I get one every month or so, but they are far less severe than the huge vestibular migraines i had before amitriptyline, though they still wake me up.

Is this your only remaining symptom?

No i have persistent tinnitus that sometimes changes character a little, even almost but never quite disappearing, fluctuating imbalance and sometimes periods of mild nausea and light-headedness. I am about 80% most of the time though, and now can work several hours a day on the computer most days.

Sounds like you are on the right path. What number of drug trial was Ami for you? It was my second and I’m holding onto it. May try to increase.

Haha, luckily number two too, after the disaster I had with Propranolol. Neuro is proposing adding Celexa/Citalopram though. I am just a little worried about taking an SSRI and Tricyclic together, but the doses are low. SSRI’s are very hard to come off though I hear?

btw I titrated past 20mg but came back down to 20mg of Ami again because I just found I got more dizzy again, but without any obvious extra symptom control.

I so wish my neuro proposed Ami first. I tried Topamax first. I don’t like it but am nervous to come off it because it has such a good track record. I would say go for the SSRI. Mine wanted to try Effexor next.

Good to hear on titration past 20. I’m currently on 30. He had me go way too fast on that and Topamax. It was ridiculous.

The thing I like about Ami, is it is a vestibular suppressant so irons out the mixed messages the brain gets from ears. I think that’s why you get almost instant migraine relief as the brain gets less upset as a result. Unfortunately that probably means you need to re-compensate if you come off it? Or perhaps it just softens the landing to deal with differences in inner ear pressure, dunno.

Isn’t this the hardest stuff ever? If I ever overcome this I know there is nothing I can’t handle!

1 Like

Haha, yes, you bet!

This is so strange and interesting! The last 3 weeks or so I’ve been having horrible vertigo attacks whenever I sit in chairs that usually have a really really soft/sinking seat and are slightly reclined. I almost instantly start spinning and it lasts for half of the day! Visited my doctor yesterday and sat in the waiting room chairs (big squishy chair) and oh man did I regret it! Instantly started having a vertigo attack from it. Sucks so much! I’ve had MAV for about a year now and never had this problem before. So frustrating.

1 Like

That sounds terrible! I almost always feel best when laying down as opposed to sitting up or standing up. I do notice that I feel particularly bad most mornings though, and much worse on top of that if I wake up and realize I’ve been sleeping in a bad position. This ties into my theory that at least part of my problem is my posture. Sleeping weird on my neck or pushing down too hard on the side of my face while sleeping will affect me for a few hours after getting up.

Could this be BPPV?

Me? I doubt it, as I don’t actually get spinning vertigo. I’ll feel more lightheaded than normal in situations I described, and I’ll have more head pains/pressure, and sometimes in the ear that I laid on as well, but BPPV involves spinning vertigo right?

Apparently BPPV can cause just imbalance, lightheadness and nausea. It can also cause migraine! There is now a theory gaining popularity that those crystals can block canals and cause hydrops and meniere’s.

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

Interesting! Do you know where I can read more about this?

Whoops never mind, just saw you gave me a link! Thanks!

Next question: can the doctor’s tell you if you have mild hydrops or chronic bppv? Want to place bets? :slight_smile: