Saw the Chiropractor today

Hi everyone,
I saw my chiropractor today and it went OK. He checked my neck which seemed to be doing pretty well. Adjusted my upper back which has been bothering me (muscle craps in side when rotating). We talked about the tympanometry(sp?) test that came back with less than desirable results last week. We briefly ran down the symptoms I’ve been having, and I reminded him of a few things we talked about when I had first sought him out for treatment about 2 years ago. I joked with him that if I could cut out the right lower part of my head and ear I’d feel fine, and we got a good laugh out of that. :slight_smile:

He then proceeded to do a procedure on my ear where he actually adjusts it… I was apprehensive, but it actually seems to have made some difference. It didn’t hurt at ALL, and it definitely felt less stressed afterwards. He also showed me how to massage that part of my ear/jawline to encourage things to drain correctly.

Unfortunately, there was no “miracle” and my ear still doesn’t feel the same when I try to plug, or open them (I feel way less change in the right ear than the left - like the lower part isn’t moving or something). I am going back Wednesday to check on things, so we’ll see what happens. The only strange thing is that my right eyebrow has started “twitching” - I’m sure that is a result of the other muscles on that side of my face not being accustomed to my ear being more “open”.

My vertigo threatened to hit today once, but thankfully it was very brief and passing and it didn’t really hit me. I haven’t had an attack of vertigo since before I took my antibiotics for the ear infections a couple weeks ago, so I’m holding my breath to see if/when I get another. I’m definitely going to keep track of them now that I’m not just trying to ignore it all/deal with it on my own. No lasting nausea today - just a VERY slight brief episode (can’t even remember what I was doing - just that it was mid-morning). Another good thing - I was able to take my shower and not get dizzy when closing my eyes while I was washing my hair and leaning slightly backwards… I’m always afraid of that and therefore usually avoid showers preferring baths, but that’s hard on my neck when trying to wash my hair! LOL (I can never win! :wink: )

I’m a little frustrated with myself that I didn’t mention MAV or MM to the Chiropractor at all - I wasn’t sure whether to bring it up or not and really wanted to see what he said before my offering any info. like that. I will try to mention it on Wednesday though - if not, I’m sure I’ll discuss it with him depending on what my Primary Care Doc says on Wed. and what the audiologist and ENT says next week.

I know this doesn’t paint a complete picture of all that’s going on - I’m sure I’ll post more in the days to come as I have these appointments, and as I read more posts here. I have a fasting cholesterol blood test tomorrow morning and must start my 12 hour fast in a little bit, so I’m going to go grab something to eat and something to drink before that. I’m glad tomorrow is an “easy” day with just a quick blood draw - I honestly prefer staying home especially when going to the doctor is so stressful for me… I just get really anxious even if it’s for nothing major, and even if I WANT to see the doctor! LOL

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate being able to come here and post about this - I think it’s helping me to stay positive that this time through the “doctor tour” I might find some more definitive answers and hopefully not too much bad news. :slight_smile:

~ Shelly
Link to my 1st post/thread: http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/hello-newbie-here/6121

— Begin quote from “ShellyT.”

Hi everyone,
I saw my chiropractor today and it went OK. He checked my neck which seemed to be doing pretty well. Adjusted my upper back which has been bothering me (muscle craps in side when rotating). We talked about the tympanometry(sp?) test that came back with less than desirable results last week. We briefly ran down the symptoms I’ve been having, and I reminded him of a few things we talked about when I had first sought him out for treatment about 2 years ago. I joked with him that if I could cut out the right lower part of my head and ear I’d feel fine, and we got a good laugh out of that. :slight_smile:

He then proceeded to do a procedure on my ear where he actually adjusts it… I was apprehensive, but it actually seems to have made some difference. It didn’t hurt at ALL, and it definitely felt less stressed afterwards. He also showed me how to massage that part of my ear/jawline to encourage things to drain correctly.

Unfortunately, there was no “miracle” and my ear still doesn’t feel the same when I try to plug, or open them (I feel way less change in the right ear than the left - like the lower part isn’t moving or something).

— End quote

Hi Shelly,

What exactly did the tympanometry show and what does the chiro think needs to be ‘drained correctly’?

Chiropractic has come up before and there’s a whole thread on it here which you may find useful:

http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/hi-new-here/60

The evidence for chiropractic is that it can help with back pain and that’s it. If a chiro is telling you they can fix your ear problems I’d be very cautious. I’ve gone to the most neutral reference I can find (Wikipedia) and if you have a read of the whole entry you’ll see how controversial chiropractic is and how little evidence there is in support of it for anything other than back pain. In particlar this section:

*In English speaking countries the majority of chiropractors and their associations appear to make efficacy claims that are unsupported by scientific evidence. **Claims not supported by solid evidence *were made about asthma, ear infection, earache, otitis media, and neck pain

And this is the abstract of the article referenced in the Wiki entry (note, the author, Ernst, is a professor of Complementary Medicine):

*Ernst E, Gilbey A.
SourceComplementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Exeter, England.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Some chiropractors and their associations claim that chiropractic is effective for conditions that lack sound supporting evidence or scientific rationale. This study therefore sought to determine the frequency of World Wide Web claims of chiropractors and their associations to treat, asthma, headache/migraine, infant colic, colic, ear infection/earache/otitis media, neck pain, whiplash (not supported by sound evidence), and lower back pain (supported by some evidence).

METHODS: A review of 200 chiropractor websites and 9 chiropractic associations’ World Wide Web claims in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States was conducted between 1 October 2008 and 26 November 2008. The outcome measure was claims (either direct or indirect) regarding the eight reviewed conditions, made in the context of chiropractic treatment.

RESULTS: We found evidence that 190 (95%) chiropractor websites made unsubstantiated claims regarding at least one of the conditions. When colic and infant colic data were collapsed into one heading, there was evidence that 76 (38%) chiropractor websites made unsubstantiated claims about all the conditions not supported by sound evidence. Fifty-six (28%) websites and 4 of the 9 (44%) associations made claims about lower back pain, whereas 179 (90%) websites and all 9 associations made unsubstantiated claims about headache/migraine. Unsubstantiated claims were made about asthma, ear infection/earache/otitis media, neck pain,

CONCLUSIONS: The majority of chiropractors and their associations in the English-speaking world seem to make therapeutic claims that are not supported by sound evidence, whilst only 28% of chiropractor websites promote lower back pain, which is supported by some evidence. We suggest the ubiquity of the unsubstantiated claims constitutes an ethical and public health issue*

**If you haven’t already been to a neurologist, that is who you need to see. **

Vic: Thanks so much for the links and information - it’s definitely useful.

I should make it clear that at no time did the chiropractor say he could solve my ear/vertigo problems.

I sought him out for treatment when my orthopedic doctor was ill, and the other doctor they sent me to at the office was a jerk (to be nice). My Ortho was AWESOME, but the other docs there - not so much. My chiro has definitely helped me to not need pain meds for the nerve irritations in my neck and back (I was taking percocet (2-3xs/day and 1200 mg of Gabapentin/day) but I’m also someone who is “hypermobile” - almost double jointed and while that’s great for gymnastics, and avoiding broken bones when one gets hurt, it’s not so wonderful when you aren’t demanding that kind of performance from your body.

For others on this board - I definitely DON’T recommend Chiropractors unless you absolutely know what’s going on. AND, it’s definitely an “adjunct” therapy and not someone I go to for diagnosis of other problems - also it can help with SOME chronic problems, but not all. My husband had a bad back injury and surgery a few years ago and is not someone who would have benefited from seeing a Chiro. There are ways and such that I can move to “pop” my back that if others did the same would NOT be OK for them to do (again, due to my hypermobility).

I’ve got to run or I’ll be late for my blood test, but I’ll come back and look back over the thread again when I have a little more time.

I DEFINITELY agree that Chiropractic care is NOT for everyone, and many don’t find relief, or can’t afford to go once a month for “upkeep”. In my case it has definitely helped with my back and neck pain, but it definitely doesn’t treat my ear problems or the vertigo - just the pain that comes from the facet nerves being rubbed together by the bones that aren’t in the right place (and it’s obvious they are out of place because you can see/feel it when they are).

Thanks again,
Shelly

OK, I have a little more time now, so I can answer the other questions you posed to me. Sorry I didn’t in the previous post, but I was in a hurry. :slight_smile:

When I saw the Urgent Care Doc last week he showed me the equipment, and he tested my left ear which showed a close-to perfect outcome. It was in front of me as he tested the right ear so I got a good look at it. The results for the right ear I only saw very briefly. He saw the results and ripped them off the machine almost immediately, and said “We’re going to set you up with an appointment with an audiologist to check your hearing, and an ENT to further check your ears.” From what I saw it looked like it tented too far to the right of zero (since the paper is thin it’s possible I could have seen it from the reverse side as it was in his hand). If he told me specifically what it showed other than a general confirmation that something was abnormal, I don’t remember him saying anything - which is why my husband is coming with into the appointments so I don’t forget what I hear from now on…

This last doctor (at urgent care) knew about the vertigo and asked me to describe what I feel when it hits (like my brain is rotating in my skull and instantly very nauseous), how I get it to stop (crawl to the floor and lay down on my back with my eyes closed trying to breathe evenly and semi-deeply), and if I had seen anyone specifically for that or not before he examined me (I had only seen my doctor for it when it started 18 mos. ago). We also touched briefly on my chronic migraines and chronic neck/back pain (due to arthritis, some minor stenosis(sp), nerve root pain/muscle aches & cramping (possible MFPS/Fibro)). He asked about surgeries/procedures (arthroscopic surgery for a bad rotator cuff injury in the spring of 1990, and Radio-Frequency Ablation to treat non-migraine head pain/aches on the right side facet nerves at C1-C3 5-6 years ago). We also discussed my medications for Dysthymia (chronic depression), GAD (general anxiety disorder) and some PTSD issues. I take Zoloft 200mg/day, Clonidine (new) .1mg/2x per day as needed for anxiety, and Gabapentin (have been on it before, but this time at only 1/3 of the dose) 100mg/3xs per day. The new meds (and my new Nurse Practitioner/Psychiatrist) are working very well for my anxiety and I’m VERY happy about that.

The Chiropractic appointment was only the first on my list as I’m getting my ducks in a row health-wise (I also had to drop off a payment to close out last years’ accounts for tax purposes and made an appointment just to make sure that my neck is aligned before I go to my other doctor appointments so the tests can be done when I’m hopefully at my “best” muscle and joint wise there). It definitely helped me in some way (not sure how) when he “adjusted/popped” my ear. I have had numerous injuries to that side of my head/face and as all of my bones/muscles are too “loose” it certainly doesn’t hurt to make sure my jaw and such is where it’s supposed to be as it’s getting irritated from me “testing” my ear all the time again. LOL :smiley:

I’m seeing my primary care doctor tomorrow so we can get me back on my cholesterol meds as my script ran out and I needed testing done, and I will definitely be talking to him about a neurology referral. We spoke of it last time I saw him a little over a year ago, and he said that would definitely be someone he would refer me to if the vertigo didn’t go away (I neglected to make an appointment until now about it all - denial and depression). So, I’m hoping/expecting to walk out of my doctor’s office tomorrow with a referral/appointment for a neurologist because I’ve really wanted to see one for quite a while for the migraines/weird and varied physical and mental symptoms I’ve had over the years.

One thing that’s frustrating for both my doctors and myself is that I have no family medical history (I’m adopted). That might change this year as the laws changed last month, and I can now get a copy of my original birth certificate information without a court order. We’ll see what happens on that avenue.

I might have left more questions than answers as I know I’ve packed a lot of information into what I wrote above. I hope people can get through it. I know I also tend to get “wordy” - it’s why I don’t like talking really in-depth about all my little physical symptoms as it can make me depressed from feeling overwhelmed by it all as well. Thanks for bearing with me and spending the time reading my lengthy posts. I really do appreciate everyone’s time.

Thanks again
~ Shelly

PS - Forgot to answer another question you posed - he just showed me how to kind of massage the part under my ear and along that tract with the lymph nodes to encourage that the fluids there kept moving. It also helps the muscles in that part of my jaw/neck to not threaten to cramp up on me. The Eustachian tube is in that general area as well, so if the muscles are cramped in there it could irritate the nerves around it (mine is already irritated from having the ear infection a couple weeks ago).

EDIT: Wanted to quickly say thanks again for the link to the Chiropractic discussion thread. In my opinion there are DEFINITELY good and bad chiropractors as well as good and bad doctors of all specialties (and just doctors who make (overwhelmingly usually non-lethal) mistakes as all humans do on occasion). Just as you wouldn’t go to a dentist to treat a broken toe, chiropractors have their place in treating certain conditions, but definitely not all of them. For instance, when my daughter had a semi-rare regional fungal infection that presented unusually I did research on the internet and determined that she needed to see different doctors because the ones we were seeing at one hospital weren’t listening to us (they insisted it was a hematoma, but she hadn’t been injured, and she was starting to have a slight fever along with the pain she’d had for a week…). Anyway, I had to make a decision and seek out different doctors at a regional hospital that has a children’s specialty hospital wing, and they admitted her within 30 mins. of her urgent care clinic appointment into the children’s cancer ward because they weren’t sure what was wrong, but that wing had the filtration units for exposure to viruses and such and if the mass turned out to be cancer she wouldn’t have to be moved). It was very hard to make the decision that I “knew more” than the docs treating my daughter, but I went with my gut - and I’m VERY glad I did in that case. I recommend we all listen to ourselves in that manner especially - I do think there is something to the idea that our bodies do have some level of “self-healing” ability, that we do have some instinct at times as to what will help us and what won’t. I also think that that there are conditions that can get in the way of the body getting better (especially in the case of nerves that are affected by stiff/tight muscles in the neck and back). Sorry again for writing a book! Thanks - Shelly