Newbie: Not sure if this is MAV, need help :(

Hi, I’m new to the community and have been struggling for the past few months with chronic vertigo, sore neck, tinnitus, ear itching/popping and super anxiety. The vertigo started when I was driving and in supermarkets or stadiums but more of a pulling/unsteadiness. Now it is keeping me up all night and it’s terrifying! It starts as soon as I lie down and then I get scared and srart to hyperventilate.
I’m currently seeing an ENT and have undergone VNG testing (normal) and have a Computerized Posturography next week. My ENT (who is not super helpful) says that he’s pretty sure it’s not stemming from my ears. I have had migraines with pain starting 10 years ago, but haven’t had one in 2 years. Most of my family has migraines.
Anyhow, I was hoping to see if these sound like “MAV” even though I’m not currently suffering from the earsplitting pain of a regular migraine headache. I feel like I’m losing my mind and having a lot of trouble getting help from doctors… thank you!

When you say chronic vertigo you mean dizziness or imbalance. I use vertigo to describe spinning.

I had same symptoms as you sore neck, tinnitus, ear itching/popping and super anxiety. I was on Zoloft a antidepressant/SSRI for 5 months which helped to a certain extent.

I was recently diagnosed with VM and taking Amitriptyline. You should see a neurologist to try and see if this can be a VM. VM is a waste basket diagnosis once they rule out everything else. Neuro might ask for an MRI.

PM me if you want to talk further.

Yup sounds like MAV - be aware you’ll hear a lot of misinformation, wild guesses and strange theories the more you discuss this with health professionals and other people. You’ll also encounter some of it on this board.

MAV can occur without the migraine headache. The term is more or less used to describe the fact that your brain isn’t correctly reading signals from your inner ears. Classic ENTs are terrible when it comes to MAV, I’d suggest you find a Neurotologist. They’ll be much more helpful

Sorry to hear about this! I had the exact same incident as you- a blow of dizziness in a supermarket out of nowhere and ever since I’ve never been the same. Tons of anxiety and panic and shortness of breath so I can level with you. Please understand you are not alone. MAV or this “silent migraine” is exactly that, dizziness, tinnitus, foggy off balance feelings WITHOUT the headache. I have visual aura everyday and basically every symptom of migraine except for the headache itself. Your ENT shouldn’t lose hope. It’s hard to understand at first but just know that it can happen essentially from anything, and there are prophylactics and preventatives to reduce or eliminate what you’re feeling.

There are certain docs who specialize in this field exactly, ENT’s are (no offense) sometimes a joke because they don’t all understand the extend and complexity of this diagnosis. It would be best to have a GP rule out all other things for safety, to them come back to this if all else fails.

If you need or want to talk more about it, feel free to PM me and I can share you some links to read up about it so you can have a better understanding. Good luck and take care!! :cherry_blossom:

-Kelsey

Thank you SO much for the replies. It helps to know that maybe I’m not crazy …This really started 2 years ago and it would only happen once in a blue moon, but this summer it has been relentless. My primary doc just dismissed it as anxiety and put me on Buspar back in July. I only lasted on it for 3 days because it made it so much worse and since then hasn’t gone away. The doctors all said there’s no correlation, but it’s odd to me.
Anyhow, yes I should probably describe it as dizziness/off balance. It feels like I’m in a fog or that my brain isn’t connected to my body. When it happens I feel like I need to jerk my body to get rid of the sensation. Especially sleeping lately. Does that make sense to anyone?? Benadryl, melatonin and meczicline only make it worse. The only thing that helps is ativan, but I don’t want to become dependent on it. :frowning: I will have to look into the neurotolgist