My story - your experienced thoughts on MAV working diagnosis please?

I agree. I’m so grateful to everyone on here!

I went to my GP (a locum), explained he didn’t have to prescribe me anything if he didn’t want to go behind the consultant’s back prior to my appointment in July, and he was happy to prescribe Propranolol, so I’ve started on 40mg :relieved:

Fingers crossed it helps, and at least if it doesn’t I have an appointment in 4 weeks to look forward to anyway!. I am feeling positive about trying it, especially as it’ll also help with my anxiety. I just hope I don’t get nightmares!! I’m prone to them with medications which list it as a side effect… :confused:

I was not very keen on that drug (and I was only on 10mg) but people react differently. I hope it helps you. Any side effects so far?

I got a nasty little headache last night about an hour after the first tablet, but could that have been coincidence? Maybe. I’d been getting little headaches all day.

Slept fine. This morning my vision was AWFUL, but again that could just be the kind of day I’m having. Sometimes it’s okay, sometimes like Vaseline is all over my eyeballs. Today is a Vaseline day.

Will be interesting to see what else comes up as I keep taking them :slight_smile:

PS I have loads of spare packets of it if you need them. Lol

Tracey, how are you getting on?

Hi! I’m doing surprisingly well. Coincidence, or medication working? I’m inclined to think medication, as things are reasonably smooth, no wobbly in betweeny days.

The only ‘bad’ day I’ve had was Father’s day, as we did so much family visiting that day, lots of busyness, I knew it would build up and trigger me by late afternoon.

Couple of weeks till my next appointment with consultant, looking forward to seeing what he has to say about it.

Excellent. Long may it continue. I had a relapse after a weeks trip and only four hours sleep during the referendum vote. Didn’t agree with me. Oops. Climbing back up now. Just had an enjoyable bike ride.

I’ve been mega paranoid about sleep recently, worried I’m not quite getting enough, but trying :slight_smile:

Glad you’re recovering!!

Update…! I’m now on Effexor, as well as Propranolol. The Propranolol took the edge off my migraines quite nicely, but it wasn’t enough for me to feel anywhere near ‘good’, so my GP’s prescribed Effexor too.

I’m basically giving up on the ENT consultant, as at my last appointment he insisted that we treat the dizziness, not the migraines… Call me crazy, but if the migraines are causing the dizziness, isn’t that the best place to start???

I went to see my GP to ask to be referred to Neurology instead now that we know it’s migraines, and he said he can help me, and Neuro would ask if he’d tried to treat me first anyway. I’m happy with that, I just want some migraine meds to try!!

So, Effexor it is. I have read all about how hard it is to come off it, etc, and I’m willing to try it regardless. After three doses I’m feeling wired, my pupils are dilated, I didn’t sleep last night, and I’ve no appetite… but I’m feeling ‘okay’ despite all of that. It’s not so bad, I’ve felt worse during migraine attacks!

Hope everyone else is ticking along okay.

Tracey x

You’ve put the nail on the head. I think my migraines are caused by something going on in my bad inner ear, not the other way around. However, either way, you need to calm the migraines, right? This is a strong suspicion because now I have the migraines tamed (touch wood), but still left with some residual dizziness 24/7 (although sometimes its only slight).

I’m on Amitriptyline, and that is a vestibular suppressant, so my theory is its calming the crazy signals so my brain doesn’t freak out and go all migrainey.

I now have a lovely image of our brains freaking out. And going all migrainey :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: hey I’m not saying there isn’t vestibular migraine that is central based, but for me, i’m pretty sure it’s my bad ear causing them. I mean, I have some slight high frequency loss, 24/7 tinnitus, etc., so its clearly the part of me that isn’t working so well :slight_smile: