MAV or Chronic Subjective Dizziness

So I have been dizzy for three months now. I was positive for having BPPV as I would have true spinning in certain positions. The Epley seemed to stop the spinning. However, I feel off balance all the time. As if i am rocking side to side and even dizzy when I turn my head suddenly.

ENT is stumped, neurologist says there may be a component of MAV.

CSD has the same criteria as MAV, and although I am a migraine sufferer since childhood, I also have struggled with GAD since I was in my teens. The definition of CSD says that it can be interactive if the person has GAD and panic disorder (which I do) before having an organic cause of dizziness (which I did with BPPV).

My residual vertigo seems to be ok in the morning but gets worse throughout the day. I also “check in” a lot to see if I am dizzy.

I do clench my teeth a lot and wake up with ears ringing and then it fades during the day. So I am also wondering if this plays into the “off balance” feeling.

I have been seeing a chiropractor about my SCM muscle, and that seems to have made my neck better and the dizziness (slightly).

Is there a way to tell the difference between MAV and CSD?

CSD smacks of doctors just simply not knowing what is wrong with you. What a completely lazy and outrageous diagnosis! In fact I’d say that was also true of ‘MAV’. You get migraines - why? There is clearly a root cause to MAV and it seems this is rarely if ever determined. You don’t just wake up one day and have MAV, something must have happened?! At least with a MAV diagnosis you kind of know that prophylaxis might help. But that is the only redeeming element IMHO! If you have one of these diagnoses you clearly have experienced some kind of upset or injury to your vestibular system which wasnt there before. ENT medicine sometimes resembles A RACKET!

Thanks for your response. Migraine Associated vertigo comes with episodes lasting up to 74 hours based on the criteria. I have been feeling off balance for 3 months even after BPPV was successfully treated.

I’ll try to keep my frustration under control, lol. But you can see why I might be and I bet you are?

I believe that a chronic off balance feeling amongst people on this board is extremely common and most people on here have been diagnosed with MAV. So it’s definitely a feature of ‘MAV’. What MAV actually is is separate discussion.

You might like to explore MAV treatment protocol and see it it makes you feel better. The meds can be very helpful for reducing dizziness.