MAV advice and support

Hi there,

I am new to all of this and would really appreciate some support right now if anyone can help.

I am still awaiting to go and see the neurologist but all symptoms that I have listed at the end of my post are pointing to MAV.

I have been to see my GP today who has provided me with amitriptyline and also ritazipin which should hopefully reduce the symptoms. I have suffered for 6/7 yrs and am only 27. I have found this to be a really debilitating disease and my current GP is the first doctor to actually give me a true diagnosis or potential in this case. After being told it’s possibly MAV I have had a little nosey and it does appear to me that this is correct.

I have had a really bad episode for the last 2 weeks and am so weak right now. All I seem to do is sleep. I’ve taken time away from work and seems that I may possibly lose my job. All the anxiety and fear I am feeling right now will of course not help me. I have completely lost my appetite recently it takes 5 mins to put on a pair of socks. It takes me 20 mins to do a 10 min walk. I am very stressed. I am just needing a little bit of support if possible?

My symtoms are as below
Nausea, loss of appetite, left sided weakness, left sided numbness, slurring, eyes constantly flicker, visual disturbances, loss of balance, neck pain, back pain and pressure behind my forehead.

Tinnitus i have had as well since I was 16, it used to be in both ears but now only lingers in my right. Luckily having it for 11 years means I am used to it. I am also partially deaf since birth and this will continue to progressively worsen as this is hearing loss.

As you can imagine this is very scary. I hope someone can help support me. Clearly I am falling apart at the seams lol.

Thanks.
Siobhan x

Hi Siobhan,

Sometimes our mind makes us suffer more than we really should. Amitriptyline is a good medicine and should kick in soon. The trick with MAV is to find the right medication which many have and are leading almost normal lives. Your good days will come and you need to be positive and pull through this. I am also waiting for the Amitriptyline to work every since i started the medication i have good days and bad days. The good days make it worth the trouble. Hang in there, things will get better.

Thanks
Vignesh

By the way also make sure this is not just anxiety and depression acting up. Also keep moving it really helps. Also what is the dose of Amitriptyline ?

Hi there Vignesh.

Thank you for you advice. I really appeciate it :slight_smile: I am slightly panicked about losing my job as they are only going by statistics and not the fact that this is really debilitating.

It is definitely not anxiety. We have checked this. Any time I have 1 of my attacks I can be absolutely fine and chilled out and it happens. The anxiousness is literally because I am stressed with not having an answer or a definitive diagnosis.

I am on 10mg tablets. I have to take 1 a day for the next week and then increase to 2 a day.

Ive successfully backed down to 10mg and only ever went up to 20mg. Good luck with it but don’t expect it to be a silver bullet and mask every symptom.

I doubt it. Whatever is causing MAV is REAL. Anxiety kicks in as an engrained response to dizziness and imbalance: it’s perfectly natural to feel this way. Depression is a result of a feeling of dread and helplessness in the face of it. Anyone who has these feelings must realise it’s a natural response to your circumstances. You need to get on top of both though to move forward.

Do not ever let a doctor tell you it’s stress or anxiety that are causing your symptoms. Sure they can exacerbate but I’ve had terrible symptoms but remained calm about them knowing they would pass. And they did.

I have been clinically depressed since I was 15. So I know it isn’t that. I am treating that with anti depressants and have been on them for approx approx 4 months.

Luckily these doctors have listened to me and have given me the benefit of the doubt. I genuinely know this is a different neurological affect.

This has been happening since I had a grumbling appendix which was started almost 7 yrs ago. I hoped it would stop after I had my operation as I ended up with appendicitis. Obviously not.

Btw I don’t think it’s a disease. A condition perhaps. Afaik it’s not an infection.