Lamictal

Hi there! Anyone else on Lamictal for vestibular migraines? If so, do you get anxiety when you titrate up? I’ve been on a low dose for a little over a year, but my doctor decided to up my dose to 50 mg in the morning and 50 mg at night. I’ve only been on 50 mg in the morning for the last year. I’m slowly titrating up, but I feel like I’m dizzier than normal and having anxiety that I haven’t had in a long time. Thoughts?

Hi there. Sorry I cannot help you but I actually wanted to ask you how well this works for vestibular migraines, and if it is similar to Topiramate and Zonisamide? Lamictal/lamotrigine is something that I haven’t tried but wanted to. My GP seemed open to prescribing it a while back (though opted for something else in the end) but my neurologist said it wouldn’t help.

I hope you get the answer you are looking for from someone on here.

Oddly enough, my psychiatrist put me on the low dose a little over a year ago in hopes it would work with my Lexapro and calm my nerves a bit and in turn calm down my migraines. I just saw my neurologist at MUSC last week…who I haven’t seen in almost 2 years…and she liked that I was on Lamictal since I didn’t like Topamax and she upped my dose to 50 mgs in the morning and 50 at night. I’m not sure my thoughts on how helpful it is yet. I think it worked well for a while, but my neurologist said I need to take it twice a day to keep a steady stream in my system. This may make sense since I’ve been feeling like I start feeling really crappy around dinner time every day for the last 4-6 months or so. I’ll keep you posted though!

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask another question please. Does it help much with nerves? Sorry to hijack your thread with all my questions. But if it works well for nerves as well as vestibular migraine it is of particular interest to me. Thanks.

To be honest, I’m not really sure. I was doing really awesome for about 6-8 months after starting Lamictal, but I also started a low does birth control pill at the same time to help with hormones. I’m not sure which was helping the most, but I stopped the birth control pill and haven’t felt as good since. Lamictal is supposed to help with a lot of psychological things…depression, which I don’t have, anxiety, etc. My psychiatrist’s hope was that it would give my Lexapro a boost and help with my anxiety. The constant dizziness gets worse for me…almost like an auto immune disease…it’s like I have flare ups or something. I’ll go through a few really great months, and then I’ll my brain will decide to take me for a ride again. I’m hoping my neuro is right and adding additional dosage later in the day will help! Keeping my fingers crossed~! :slight_smile:

To be honest, the only thing that has helped to calm my nerves is Klonipin and Ativan. I take 0.5 Klonopin before bed, and take 1/2 a 0.5 Ativan in the morning. They seem to keep my nerves from getting excited which generally keeps my headaches down or at least from becoming unbearable. Hope that helps!

Yes your responses have been helpful :slight_smile: It has given me something to consider again i.e. the Lamictal. I do take Propranolol for anxiety and migraine prophylaxis. It works well for anxiety i.e. as and when I am stressed. But when I take it regularly and am not stressed it makes me tired. I also take Citalopram (10mg) and I have reduced the Diazepam to just 2mg at night (except if I need it in the day). I have started trying to introduce Topiramate again (at 6.5mg) but I can’t go too high with that as it upsets my ears.

Thanks again for your helpful info. I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Wish you the best too! This thing is a real beast!!! :heart: