Ketogenic diet

In my ongoing search to get a more consistent full recovery even when around my nemesis (CFL lights) - I’m currently in a hotel and very stupidly forgot to bring my own incandescent lights to screw in - I was wondering if you think that a ketogenic diet might help us with overactive/inflamed nerves?

I am going to start it tomorrow and keep you posted. In any event, it’s supposed to be like Atkins so maybe I’ll lose weight. I think I probably need to eat a lot of low starch veggies and mostly animal products. I’ll let you guys know if it helps at all

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet

It might help because less carbs equals less water retention. For every gram of carb 4 grams of water are retained so the water inflammation if you will, will subside or swelling of soft tissues.

I think the less inflammation we have the better. I’m going to give this a try for a bit and will let you know if it is radically helpful or not… otherwise cutting out gluten and dairy seem like the best bet - those seem to be the most inflammatory things I eat. Hope you’re feeling better!

Hi there, I’m not sure whether my headache is carb withdrawal or MAV - so frustrating. Anyway, I did see this comment posted on the NYTimes article I posted 2 days ago if it’s of interest:

Marie NY 1 day ago
Hi Brian,

Caught your article over lunch today–I’m a neuroscientist with migraines (and a rare variant of aura). A ketogenic diet saved me–it’s used for refractory epilepsy in children (adults can use it too, but it is difficult to adhere to). Doctors brushed it off when I asked about it because they were unaware of its utility. The 4:1 ratio is where to start. If it works (as it did with me), you have your life back (albeit, one where you have dietary restrictions), if not, you’ll have experimented with a weird diet and lost a few pounds. The diet is generally harmless. Do a Pubmed search for the diet and seizures; migraines are neurochemically similar to seizures in terms of aberrant firing.

Reply 2Recommend