Just started amitriptyline last night

I went to my ENt yesterday because I had enough of this anxiety and dizziness. He intially 2 weeks ago wanted me to take topamax but after reading all the bad things and suits going on with it, I said no. but yesterday was the end for me. So we talked and agreed to try amitriptyline, first because me anxiety and depression is bad and he said that need to be more handled right now and he thinks once it is the dizzienss could get better and i can learn to handle it better. I’m seeing a psychologist this week about it.

Do any of you take this? Have you had good experience with it? I was given 10mgs but I cut it in half because of the drowsiness it can cause and will work up to 10mgs.

If anyone uses this and can tell me anything I would appreciate it. Does it help with your dizzinesss and anxiety if you have it? How long does it take before you saw side effects?

Thanks for your help.

Amitriptyline is one of the first go-to drugs for this. I’m on this and my experience is very good. Virtually no side effects. Take it 2 hours before bed to resolve drowsiness issue. I take 20mg now and feel even better than I did on 10mg, with less dizziness. I felt results after 3 days on the drug. I haven’t had an attack in a month, whereas before I was getting one every two days!

Best of luck with it, working for me so far … :slight_smile:

I’ve been on it for about 8 weeks. It has helped (25mg) but my headache and vision problems are still here and recently I’ve experienced a negative side effect (Raynaud’s phenomena) with patchy skin colour in my toes, so may have to try something else.

I’m about to start it tonight. I’ve heard from a lot of people on here that it can make the dizziness worse at first. I tried it once before and only lasted one day on it as the dizziness was unbearable. Is there anyone else here who didn’t get dizzier when they started? I could really benefit to hear from positive start-ups. I am also starting on less than 10 mg and working my way up. Thanks!

As stated I got less dizzy. After upping the dose less dizzy still. Expect ups and downs though in any case. Best of luck with it!

Thank you for your input turnitaround. I don’t do well with ups and downs, lol. This morning I woke up with a bad headache and am nauseated. This didn’t happen the last time I tried it. One thing is consistent though, all the times I have tried it or Nortriptyline I have woken up with a racing heart beat, right away. I’ll see how the day goes.

Ach … that’s annoying …nausea is one of the worst feelings… well not every med suits everyone … Propanolol gave me chest pains and reduced my comfortable walking pace (weird drug!) … and I think Ami makes me a little more anxious than normal so, for example makes me more worried about my tinnitus. But i’ll trade that over all the nausea, visual vertigo and attacks that the drug seems to block for me.

James

I hope I can handle the med long enough to give it a good try to reduce my vertigo and imbalance and nausea that goes with it. Thankfully the nausea has subsided for now after breakfast, but now I am finding I am dizzier and even more off balance than normal. Not sure if I can handle it, will see. I am also supposed to be taking this to decrease anxiety, so far I haven’t felt that part! Sorry to hear about the Propanolol, that’s scary stuff too.

Just wanted to add a negative experience this week … I got a numbish tongue! Made talking a little tricky … may try to either reduce the dose or make sure I more swiftly swallow the tablets so I don’t absorb any in my throat…

ugh that’s a bit scary! And you’ve been on the medication for a good bit now. I unfortunately had to stop, got extremely nauseated. The medicine doesn’t normally cause that, so I hear. I had been getting stomach aches from time to time due to the anxiety and stress of the migraines, and it seems like the Amitriptyline may have made my stomach worse. But I have no idea anymore, all these meds are so frustrating.

Gah! Sorry to hear … I’ve not had any negative gastric experience except I’m sometimes slightly constipated … what’s the next option?

I don’t know yet, thanks. I’d like to get my stomach better and then try it again. I’m so tired of trying medicines though.