Imitrex to treat mav? thanks for answers

by Raven on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 am

My symptoms of vertigo have been diagnosed as possibly Meniere’s Disease, possibly migraine related, and possibly Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo.

So far, not one definite diagnosis.

Lately, one dr. said if Imitrex cures the vertigo, it is probably migraine related. Has anyone else been told this?Raven

by dizzyizzy on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 am

I would say yes, if Imitrex helps then it’s probably MAV (aside from any placebo effect). However, the converse would not necessarily be the case, that is, if Imitrex doesn’t help, it DOESN’T mean it’s not MAV. It just means that Imitrex doesn’t work for your migraines, but another migraine med might. So it must be worth a try! dizzyizzy

by scott on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:24 am

Hi Raven,

Triptans, as far as i know, are not useful for MAV, especially when it’s chronic. Steve Rauch also mentions this. However, if your migraines were sporadic and the dizziness came with attacks and nothing in between then perhaps it might work in preventing the episode and the associated dizziness. I haven’t heard of anyone treating MAV successfully with an abortive med.

Best … Scott

by MAVLisa on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:25 am

Every doc I saw said that abortives (e.g., imitrex) does not work for MAV. It is only used for head pain. For the heck of it, I tried imitrex for my MAV sxs, and it did not work at all. wish it was that easy.MAVLisa**

I don’t see why Imitrex would be of any use or why it would stop the vertigo. It does act on serotonin, which seems to be somehow important in MAV. I think MAV attacks can occur if serotonin levels start to drop too low, so theoretically it might work for an attack of MAV by upping the serotonin, but it’s really only speculation, and Imitrex certainly wouldn’t be a good choice for a preventative medicine, especially since its half-life is so short (2.5 hours).

Thank you for your ideas on this.
Imitrex is a medicine used to stop a migraine and perhaps :?: it was guessed that it would stop MAV. This medicine was suggested as a way to stop MAV but I am reluctant to try it, anyway. But if it did stop the vertigo, it would be interesting.