If you're investigating Lyme, this should help

I wanted to write a quick update on my progression from being diagnosed with MAV to investigating other possibilities, which have included Lyme. I am hoping this will provide some useful information for people in the same position.

A very quick bit of background. I was diagnosed with MAV and fibromyalgia in 2011. My symptoms had some aspects of MAV (chronic head pressure, dizziness), but a bunch of others that didn’t fit. A rheumatologist told me he thought that diagnosis was ‘stupid’ and I had most likely got some post viral thing, since this all started with a flu, but he didn’t know what and didn’t think there was a resolution. He even said I could of had lyme at some point and this could be related to that, but that didn’t have a current infection.

So, I obviously decided to do what most people do and go get tests done at Igenex. Like most people (or at least it seems that way), my results came back positive. I traveled to the U.S.A to visit a doctor who diagnosed me with Lyme based on results and a clinical diagnosis. She prescribed me a bunch of antibiotics.

I am a pretty logical guy, I didn’t just jump into the antibiotics as I am extremely weary of taking them. Lyme is a really confusing and dark place. From what I can tell it’s filled with extremely dubious people who have come up with all manner of ways to take sick peoples money. Many people who have been diagnosed with Lyme are sick, have no idea why and are desperately looking for a solution. Selling them hope is easy. It’s actually heart breaking to read what some people are putting themselves through, with apparently no gains. I should note, my doctor (from my appointments so far), is really great. She has been a lot more informative than any other doctor I’ve spoken with and ordered a bunch of tests outside of the Lyme diagnosis, so I am not lumping her into that group.

Right now I still haven’t decided on if I am going to follow the Lyme protocol or not. When I am at my lowest, lying in bed, dizzy, it’s really tempting to reach for those pills. What have I got to lose? But I know that’s a tough path to go down. I’ve talked to people who have apparently been cured from Lyme with antiobiotics (people featured in newspaper articles, who I tracked down) and they are not cured. They seem to feel a bit better, but they tell me Lyme has become resistant against the drugs. Based on that, I am not sure what I would be signing up for, it seems like a lot of drugs, based on a result that my own doctors tell me isn’t trust worthy.

I’m afraid I don’t have any solutions, but wanted to give the perspective of someone who has been told he has Lyme, and struggling with that diagnosis. I can sympathise with people who jump in both feet. When you have a disease that is both undiagnosed and worsening, any hope is better than no hope at all. But I would also tell people to be cautious. Some of the Lyme protocols people sign themselves up for are really scary. IV drips etc etc, it’s hard to tell if they are going to improve you or make you a whole lot worse.

I hope this is helpful. Happy to answer any questions on this.

Dizzyk,

Make sure you speak to MissMoss and DizzyLizzy who had to waste their time on this track – but did so for all our benefit. They all got the same rubbish information and both have now got their migraine under control. Lyme is a massive red herring though I can understand how people can cling onto anything to start feeling better. Join the Facebook group too: Vestibular Migraine Professional. We’re all on that too.

Scott

Thanks a lot for the reply Scott, the part I struggled with on MAV is the other symptoms I have (although I know some of them can be caused by migraine as well), but the big thing is, I have no triggers. I randomly went through a good patch for 4 months. I didn’t follow any diet, didn’t do anything unusual. It actually only ended when I took an antibiotic for a chest infection, which people on Lyme boards would suggest is because the antibiotic was killing the infection. That’s what really set of the Lyme alarm bells.

My rheumatologist said it’s near impossible to be a migrainer without some type of triggers.

I’m still unsure about my next move. I never went to see Dr Silver, I should of, but was put of by what my rheumatologist said.

Going to spend some time this week planning my next move.

I really wish you’d gone too see Silver. DO NOT take advice about something like Lyme disease from a forum or Facebook group whatever you do. Those groups are absolutely full of whacks and nutters. I’ve seen it soooo many times now. Your feeling better after a dose of antibiotics was likely a coincidence. You need to be assessed by a professional and stay on course. If you go down the Lyme route you may stay unwell needlessly for months or years because of the sidetrack.

Anyway, have a chat to MissMoss or DL. They were in an identical head space and were also told the same things from forum crazies.

scott have you talked to dizzielizzie recently? it looks like she stopped posting on this forum a long time ago after lyrica stopped working? how is she doing now?

She’s doing really well last I heard. I think that’s why she’s gone. Migraine well controlled and she’s moved on. You might catch her on the FaceBook group though. Try looking for her at Vestibular Migraine Professional.

Scott

DizzyK- That’s really interesting what you said about feeling better temporarily after taking antibiotics. Did you know that antibiotics can have an anti-inflammatory effect? Perhaps that is a clue as to what is going on with you.