Hormone related: Treatment

For the ladies out there, my symptoms seem to be affected by hormones. Does anyone treat their dizziness or pain successfully with hormone medication or cream? Considering exploring this route. Thanks!

I can go for weeks almost normal and then, hormones strike. I tried a 4 day patch and honestly, it helped at first but then when it wore off, made things much worse. That’s all I’ve tried though. I heard of someone who used a hormone ring continuously for 4 years (no period) to stave off the hormone related migraines and it helped her. I’m too chicken to try it yet. Lol.

1 Like

There is a naturalist Doctor in town who supposedly does in depth blood work to look at hormones and then treats accordingly but I’ve been hesitant to go. I always feel like you treat one thing and then there has to be a negative effect, right? But, I’m getting tired of these migraines! I get vestibular and classical migraines.

Worth a try!

I would be really, really careful with this stuff. Trying to use a natural method to regulate my hormones is actually what triggered my vestibular migraine (in addition to other things), but literally on the second day of taking a natural supplement I looked around me and everything seemed really weird, and then all my other symptoms started and have been unrelenting since (hitting 4 weeks now).

I had the Mirena IUD, and this caused me to develop estrogen dominance and my progesterone was really low (about 0.7 on blood test). After taking it out, I wanted to find a way to boost my progesterone naturally to help my hormones rebalance. I began a natural supplement called vitex or chasteberry which is widely available. It is a dopamine agonist (this is probably what screwed me up) and increases dopamine → reduces prolactin → increases progesterone.

This supplement literally changed my life and no one has any clue why because not enough research has been done on it. My progesterone went from 0.7 to 44 (my highest ever progesterone level was 2.0 and I have had tests done throughout the various parts of my cycle), so don’t think just because something is natural that it’s going to be gentle. I would give anything to go back and not have dabbled in any kind of natural remedies. At least with birth control etc you have a fairly good idea of how it could affect you negatively. Natural creams and supplements are a huge shot in the dark.

Take care!
Danna

Wow Danna. Thanks!

Wow thanks for the advice Danna! I guess I should stay away. It looked too good to be true! How long have you had migraines now?

Glad to help! For the past 3 months I’d been experiencing atypical migraines and headache related to my cycle. They would last for soooo long! Anyway, I did not have any other whacky symptoms with this and I just attributed the pain to hormone imbalance.

Just before I took the supplement, I was experiencing my normal headache that had been going on for about a week, then the vitex really threw me overboard. I became super spaced out, photophobia and phonophobia, tinnitus, ear pain, panic attacks from not knowing what was going on, dizziness, brain fog and the works. The vitex also gave me super vivid dreams. The night before I started to feel really horrible I had a dream I was drunk and toppling everywhere. I hear this is common in people with MAV. After waking up from that I was a different person. I only took this supplement for two days and despite stopping I continued developing new symptoms. I’m sure the VM was brewing anyway, but this triggered it.

I don’t want to put you off completely as I have heard rave things about natural hormone therapy. It could really help you out, you never know! VM seems pretty mysterious on its own so I wouldn’t introduce anything that is not thoroughly understood by medicine already. Now I’m freaked out to even take what the doctor’s given me because I’m scared it’ll make me worse!

I have been under a Dr care for hormone migraine therapy and it’s been very beneficial for several years. It’s controlled the intensity and timing of the migraines and diminished the vertigo. I would recommend seeing a Dr to keep the levels (and you!) balanced.
*note: I have to stay away from soy & yams now - plant estrogens

1 Like

Great to hear! What type of Doctor do you see for this?

First I saw a Gynecologist, then after she retired, just my general doctor. Unfortunately as hormones fluctuate over time, our meds have to adjust to that as well! Hope you find a good solution - there are many different types , so be patient and don’t give up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you😘

Hi Dizzylizzie 2
I think I have hormone related MAV and quite honestly as I’m nearly 45 its getting worse and worse with more and more attacks.
I’m seeing a gyne in December with a view to trying the mini pill .
What hormones did you try in what amounts to get any better ?
Thanks
Sarah