Head rushes or rushes of adrenaline

No you won’t!

If necessary try to talk to an experienced psychotherapist who has dealt with vestibular patients before. There are lots of exercises they can teach you to relax.

Eventually things will start to improve and that will help you reduce anxiety too.

Meds can help too, as discussed before.

what do you think of this?

So, when this all started, I woke up with a dizziness/spinning sensation. But before that, I also remember having tiny episodes at work while just sitting at the computer of a disorientating/dizzy feeling.

After the initial “big bang” that night, I continued to get migraines/headaches every 2-3 days. I remember the headaches came first as I was trying to change my diet and thought it was maybe from carrying my baby all of the time.

Then, I went to the chiropractor when the episodes were starting getting closer together and particularly after an event I had at the drive-through while reaching for my wallet. She laid me down, and there was no dizziness reproduced, so she assumed it was my neck and massaged me with this vibrating tool.

After that, and that night, when I lay down in bed the spinning came on. It’s interesting to know that before the chiropractor I had no spinning sensation while lying down in bed. After her, I went to the hospital where they said, “BPPV, go home and do the Epley.” At this point, the Epley did reproduce the spinning, and with a couple of tries, the spinning subsided. BUT, I still get these positional dizzy rushes but am negative on the Dix-hallpike.

So maybe, I had a “condition,” and then the chiropractor coincidentally gave me BPPV with that enormous vibrating tool she used on my neck, which was treated and now I am back to what I had before, whatever it is?

I actually love this. This is an explanation i wish a doctor had told me. Because i had the same initial symptoms then disappearance and relapse. As much as i know you have based this on research and personal experience, a side of me wants to believe it is all migraine and the meds will fix me :slight_smile:

Ignorance can be bliss sometimes :slight_smile: and leads to less health anxiety :slight_smile:

The thing is I wish they had too because the vague and nebulous stories I was told gave me MORE anxiety because their explanations were neither complete nor convincing.

So you end up very uncertain and start to think of all these doom and gloom scenarios. You also start to research more and that leads you into some obsessive negativity.

However what I do know is that many If not all the symptoms we experience are REVERSIBLE.

I am so far living proof that whilst a huge number of relapses do occur the dizziness eventually resolves. And not because you compensate, no because the actual leakage slows to a stop. I’m hoping tinnitus and my minor hearing loss will reduce in time too.

BPPV explanation is WRONG imho, that’s just a leak. The rest of your symptoms including ‘the big bang’ are perfectly explained by my model.

Btw childbirth can give you a fistula due to the straining involved in labour. This is well known amongst ENT surgeons. It may not have e been the causative event but you never know.

What I find interesting is my first ent … when I told him about where and how I get dizzy he said it didn’t sound like bppv. He said it sounded like labrynthitis. He said it was impossible to know but give it time.

And I’m only having this second flare up after 3 months of it kind of going away after a cold I just had!

which is an old fashioned out of date diagnosis (but actually might be another name for exactly what I describe ie its NOT viral, its about Hydrops.)

Hydrops causes dizziness, fluctuating tinnitus and can cause hearing loss (at least some of which is reversible). Someone might interpret this INCORRECTLY the result of a viral infection. Its nothing of the sort. Viral infections are also NOT chronic and once a neuron is destroyed by a virus it’s gone. Luckily with Hydrops, there is the possibility of reversal.

People really need to UNDERSTAND the anatomy.

Basically the truth is hidden in plain sight.

I will bet you that most of these ‘named’ conditions (‘BPPV’, ‘Labyrinthitis’,‘VN’, ‘VM’,‘Menieres’) all have similar underlying mechanisms but they differ in severity, longevity and presentation because of subtle and not so subtle differences in the original cause, exacerbating factors, individuals specific body’s strengths and weaknesses, age, sex, diet, exercise etc etc.

The problem is that the plumbing system of the ear is complex and once disturbed takes an age to re-balance. People want a simple explanation and a simple name to put to something. I don’t think its EVER simple. People are far too used to simple explanations for diseases like the common cold.

I agree with you. Should I push them to check whether it is a fistula? Is there any way to do that?

Sadly not without surgery. I personally would not recommend that (they tend to inspect AND patch at same time) I know two people who’ve had the surgery, one of them twice and it didn’t help. I suspect this is because of pressures in the ear. Sometimes it NEEDS to weep. I’ve improved without any surgery and simply been extremely patient. Not very helpful but you might find your body is best to ‘fight’ this … if you need support with symptoms the neurologists can prescribe something to help you along in the meantime. For most people I believe this condition eventually heals naturally … and we’re talking ‘90’ to ‘95%’, but because of the nature of the problem - plumbing and pressures - it takes ages and you may have lots of frustrating and disheartening relapses in meantime. You just have to keep your eye on the long game! Basically unless your hearing is deteriorating the professional advice is to wait and see.

Also i’ve done some things which I believe have helped, I’m sure, this includes:

• minimising leaning over
  • minimising going on haunches
  • no forced blowing of nose
  • minimise coughing
  • don’t wear headphones and if you do, keep the volume down
  • double pillow at night
  • lots of water and fluids
  • sudafed if you ever take a flight and minimise the number of flights if possible (but i’ve flown and been fine), although Hain is more cautious (see below)

Take a look at:

I’ve had a migraine every 2-4 days with brain Zaps. If I move aroind I get an electric jolt sensation … not sure what causes this?

This condition can give you a whole heap of strange symptoms and many of them are neurological because your balance sense is, for now, malfunctioning (both chronically and worse in discrete episodes)

A migraine ever 2-4 days? I would definitely look into going on meds. Use the vestibular migraine protocol. Consider the dietary changes too. Discuss with your ENT, Oto-neuro or even GP.

This is so not normal for me though and I just don’t understand what is causing them. I don’t feel like myself at all.

Even if I type too fast at the computer, I can feel myself start to get dizzy. It feels like a rush up the back of my head. Talking a lot I get the same thing.

It just doesn’t make sense. The first night I was dizzy I turned my head quickly to the left and then all the dizziness started. For example, as I sit here typing this, I feel imbalanced like my left shoulder is strained/higher. I also have a swaying sensation. Then if I get too worked up it feels like an electrical pulse sensation going up my head.

It’s so bizarre!

Yes I’ve had those sensations. Swaying at desk was a big one. Get yourself some medical help to relieve symptoms. It will make you feel much better if not 100%. Time will help too. I recommend Amitriptyline as first trial but there are other options. Speak to your doctor.

So I went to a Chinese doctor today who did some trigger point therapy and acupuncture, and I am way dizzier turning my head to the right. This is the only symptom that brings on the dizzy rush/lightheaded sensation - that and looking down.

Could my neck be the problem since this has exasperated my symptoms?

I had super brief spinning/dizzy spells, lasting approx. 1-2 seconds, for a couple of weeks this summer. They seemed to happen most often in the car or at my desk. I thought it could be postural as in both of those environments I sometimes jut my head forward and rest my head on the back of my neck. Bizarrely the brief episodes went away as soon as I got back on the migraine vitamin regimen which for me is Migrelief (magnesium, feverfew and B), a B basic complex and CoQ10. I had been lax taking them over the summer and thought they weren’t helping much. Ha!

Hey, this is exactly where I get mine too. They always (95% of the time) involve computer work, looking down on phone or switching between looking at phone and driving (looking up and looking down).

The doctor wants to rule out complex seizures. I am so scared now. The first neuro I consulted never even mentioned this. And these are positional in nature.

My vestibular rehab PT thinks the visual triggers (light combination and layers of things) in these situations could have caused the mini-migraines (my term). Whatever they were I haven’t had any since managing my supplements better. I’m sorry you’re feeling scared. Traditional docs haven’t been that helpful for me. Knowledgeable PT and naturopath have been more helpful as they’ve been willing to listen to the details and think outside the box.

1 Like

Mine, too. Looking at the computer screen and shifting my gaze while scrolling, for example. Mine are intense, violent bursts of vertigo that cause super-scrambled vision and the sensation that I am falling (and if I happen to be standing, I fall; if I grab onto something it feels like whatever I am holding onto is also falling). Luckily it only lasts a few seconds but it’s not good if I fall - I have osteoporosis so a fracture is a real possibility.

Did they diagnose you with MAV? this is one symptom I cannot get past. Seven months ago, I started getting dizzy bursts/jolts when tilting my head to the right. I ended up doing the Epley on myself and discovered that I had spinning on my right side. I treated it with the Epley/Half Summersault Maneuver and even though the spinning has gone, I am constantly dizzy and off balance. The most concerning of these symptoms is the sudden quick bursts of dizziness that knock me off my feet or cause me to stop in my tracks. They last for only a second and usually involve a change in head position. But also, another strange symptom is when talking or typing on the computer keyboard. I get mini dizzy rushes while exerting myself and they feel like they are going up the back of my head.

During all of this time I have developed hypercusis and a very faint tinnitus and at times do feel a very slight aural fullness. I have been tested for everything and all tests are normal. The only diagnoses were initially BPPV and MAV. The BPPV is no longer able to be concluded since there is never any nystagmus on any diagnostics tests.

Another phenomenon that has been happening is vibrating of my own voice when I talk loudly. My ears click after I speak …which is odd. This also ALL started after a long bout of an upper respiratory infection.

I am out of ideas of what this could be? One neurologist said it’s not MAV because it’s not episodic and migraine vertigo can last between 2 hours-72 hours and it’s very distinct.

In 1998, I went through some of the testing (hearing, ENG, posturography, rotary chair) and was told that it was “vestibular neuronitis.” In 2016 I went through a whole bunch of testing again (hearing, ENG, posturography, OAE, BAER, ECoG, VEMP) and the diagnosis was “vestibular migraine.”

At the time I was told that all of the 2016 tests were normal, but recently I looked at them and to my layman’s eyes it looks like the ECoG was abnormal. The “vestibular migraine” diagnosis always seemed like more of a “we don’t know what’s wrong with you” kind of diagnosis.