Food triggers

I was getting better on Effexor and am now going backwards. I can’t figure out the food triggers.

I have read Bucholtz and Burnstein. I know the usual culprits. But I’ve also seen a “pain-safe” diet that includes all animal proteins, all dairy. I’ve also seen info about tannins in my herbal tea.

I have lost 15 lbs this month. I feel I can’t eat or drink ANYTHING. Can others please share their food triggers besides the obvious ones (caffeine, wine, chocolate, nuts, etc.)

Thanks,

Shazam

I avoid only two things: Dark Chocolate and Alcohol. That’s it.

I get the occasional worsening tinnitus after meals but its only slight.

It’s tough but I think avoidance is:

1. Bad for you psychologically
  2. Bad for the rest of your body

So I’ve chosen to more or less eat and drink anything.

The amitriptyline has stopped me getting any migraines.

I think turnitaround has a point. I tried a very strict diet and didnt make me feel any better. In my case food has very Little to do with my migraines. The only thing I know for sure makes it worse is alcohol, caffeine and eating too big meals.

Like you say, I think the migraine diet is too extreme, if you eliminate all those foods in the list (which I find ridiculously long), you might end up creating another health problem due to the lack of some esencial nutrients… All my doctors mostly tell me to avoid the obvious stuff I mentioned previously: alcohol, coffee, sweets and White flour. I come from a mediterranean country, so I believe I have grown in an environment with great sense for healthy food. My family always cooks with fresh vegetables, fish, meat, fruits…I think the key is going to the most fresh nutrition as possible, but without letting it run your life.

1 Like

I lost 15 lbs last month on this terrible diet. Really unhappy. And still so dizzy. 2 weeks today on Effexor titrating up slowly. Now I can’t even read anymore. Fuzzy vision.

Fed up!

And living alone which is quite frightening. I have exhausted all my friends couches.

Need something to work!

Another Q: if I haven’t had a trigger before (like olive oil which I have been using for decades) it is probably not going to be a new trigger, right?

Hi there shazam. I’m sorry you’re having such a horrendous time of it. This is an awful illness but there is light at the end of the tunnel. You will get better but it will take time.

It sounds like you’re getting very stressed out with the diet and that is more of an issue than the food itself. There are lots of theories and opinions on the whats, whys and hows of this illness and I really don’t know what the deal is. However, I see one of the best doctors there is on this condition, I followed his advice to the letter and I’m testament that it works.

Right now it’s not about finding out your triggers. Your brain is in a highly irritated state and it needs a break so it can calm down. So the medication, diet, regular meal times, going to bed and getting up at the same time every day, and more than anything, getting a lid on stress levels is how you can give it a break. Once it has calmed down and you’re better, you can start to reintroduce foods to see if the are triggers for you.

In terms of diet, my doctor says the the diets you have mentioned are too extensive and restrictive and not to follow them. He says they make food a stress in itself and that’s more of an issue. He recommends eliminating the main biggies only. I can list them for you if you like.

It’s really important that you’re eating well. You need to nourish your body and maintain your sugar levels - this is so important in migraine management. Losing lots of weight won’t be doing you any favours.

Sorry I’ve gone on a bit! However, I’m absolutely fine now. I’m yet to come off my nortriptyline, I do this next month, but I’m so well now. Who knows what will happen when I reduce the meds?! It’s taken a year and a half to get here but I’m so much better it’s unbelievable. I hope this helps a bit.

2 Likes

Thank you, Scott. That’s so helpful. I’m SO stressed out. And trying to come off of benzos as well so my anxiety is high. I didn’t know that about bedtime and meal times. Not doing that at all. NOT sleeping well.

And my hubby lives overseas and my kids are away at school. Sort of dizzy and marooned.

Really appreciate this forum. It is a lifeline for me. No one else understands.

All the best,

Suzanne

Have you tried meditating? There’s an app called headspace that’s great, and it can really help you chill out.

Yes. Meditate every day and evening