Fluorescent Lighting vs Noise & Crowds

Hey Kelley,

You made some valid points and the bottom line are we are all different like you said. So when you say that Visual things bother you are you talking about busy carpet patterns or Action Flicks? Give me some examples of bothersome visual issues. IF i’m walking on a very detailed, busy carpet that can be a little annoying but is nothing compared to a very noisy room with loud adults and screaming children. I just want to jump out of my skin and sometimes this leads into a panic attack. For the most part i stay away from movies like “Iron Man” or super action flicks with the camera jumping all over the place. There have been a few times i went to an action movie and in some scenes i have to turn my head. 3D Movies are also a problem for me and i’ve had to turn my head away as well.

Thanks for sharing the good points!

Joe

I hate the lighting and noises - i am super sensitive to noise sometimes everything gets super loud - esp high pitched stuff - OMG no fun.

Hi All,
I’m new to this forum and so glad to have found you!

The only triggers I can identify are visual, aural, or related to motion. I think I have all of the ones mentioned in the replies I read. I can’t identify any food triggers, but am trying to follow Duke’s version of the migraine diet anyway.

I have a question about noise triggers I’m hoping someone can help me with. I have to have dental work done next week. I’m worried that my noise sensitivity is going to be a real problem. Has anyone else faced this? Do you think noise-cancelling headphones might help? I’m reluctant to use ear plugs because I’m super sensitive to anything in my ears.

As a bit of background, I have a history of classic migraine, but haven’t had one of those in over 20 years. I had a few ocular migraines a couple of years ago, then in Dec 2014 had a flu-like virus that attacked the vestibular nerve in my left ear. I was left with nerve pain all over my head, especially in and around my ears. The doc at Duke says my nerve pain is migraine. My vertigo is partly from damage to the vestibular nerve, but mostly from migraine. I take 100 mg of gabapentin 2-3 times a day, and recently started magnesium supplements.

Thanks for any suggestions! Hope I did this right-- I’m new to any type of social media.

Pat

hi Pat, I’m also not someone who has ever used a forum before but this one is very useful for MAV - it’s a unique problem and not many people can understand it except for people with vestibular migraine.

I’m also someone who has had good results with low doses of gabapentin but I get so sleepy (I’m so sensitive to all meds) that right now I’m experimenting with the natural route. As for diet, the only things I can really tell affect me are high tyramine foods like fermented ones, nuts, peanuts, and yogurt etc - caffeine also is bad for my symptoms.

So far, 400mg magnesium glycinate (KAL brand), 400mg coQ10 and Petadolex brand of butterbur (one of the few supposedly safe kinds) is doing wonders for my symptoms though they are not all gone. I just tried the Petadolex starting last night and it’s really helpful. Be careful about other brands though if they have PA-toxins in them, if you try it.

I don’t seem to have a big issue at dentists but I don’t know if our MAV matches up exactly. I do have an issue with very loud concerts, very strong fluorescent lights (the CFL types are the worst for me) and tons of screens but these supplements have helped so much. I horseback ride again and drive no problem. I also can work intensely at my computer esp if I’m outside in natural light.

Hope you feel better soon. It’s just trial and error it seems to finding a decent solution…

xx

Hi I get this can’t do stripes or circles any think patterns just sends me nuts loud noises to gosh even my hubby chewing his dinner lately is really getting on my nerves motion of a car ride sends me in a tizz when I get out of the vechail I always have really bad vertigo that lasts for hrs