Exercise?

hi all hope everyones still pushing through :slight_smile: just a question for anyone that can help me, ive started to put weight on quite quickly and with me only being a short arse (4ft 11 inches) it shows every pound, now my question is is vigorous exercise good for us with vm?? I want to do an intense workout but im frightened of making myself worse as ive just started feeling a little better,can anyone help???

I had run 5km three times a week nearly every week I have had VM. Then I got lazy and put on some pounds. I’m now back to exercising, free weights and running.

I’m convinced MAV is actually down to fistulae so you need to be a careful, imho. DO NOT STRAIN TOO HARD (so much that you start to involve muscles of the face and build up pressure in the head - this rules out weight lifting and pull ups) OR BEND OVER FURTHER THAN YOUR WAIST NOR DROP ONTO YOUR HAUNCHES RAPIDLY. Otherwise exercise your butt off. I’m convinced sweating reduces ear pressure. I recently read a scientific paper that suggested that exercising improved the hearing of Menieres patients.

Not everyone will agree with my hypothesis and that’s fine but it simply all adds up for me.

And then there is the topic of compensation. I would go so far as to say that NOT EXERCISNG might block recovery. As would most avoidance behaviour.

In closing I note the only person to report full recovery from MAV on here, Beatles909, recovered without meds on a strict regime of regular exercise and healthy diet. Your mileage may vary but it gave me hope!

Best

James

thank you james, ive gotton really really lazy like a fatigue has taken over I just sit and watch the world go by when im not working or in the pub lol, I look at the housework and think sod it but its now building up and so is my weight, Its like I need some sort of energy boost!

Get on a plane to a hot country and dance a lot or go exploring! :slight_smile:

It worked for you last time :slight_smile:

im off to Benidorm in two weeks time for a fortnight all inclusive so im hoping I will be ok while im there!

Good for you, that’s the spirit! I’m sure it will pay off. Do not be put off by any dizziness or relapses. Push through and enjoy the distractions. Oh and as far as flying goes take Sudafed (the basic one) 30 minutes before landing if you are in any way stuffed up. I have had no flight problems on my China trip and that’s a biggie!

Finally, drink LOTS OF WATER!!!

1 Like

Well, I think it’s like pretty much anything- exercise will only do you good. Certainly do start but take it gently to start. Don’t jump straight in with anything too intense. So, my doctor’s advice was to go ahead, but don’t do half an hour on the treadmill if you’re only used to doing ten minutes.

I like to work out, so when I feel really bad and can’t, I find it very frustrating. Sometimes some gentle yoga is all I can manage. I’ve learned not to push too much. Before all this, if I was feeling tired or below par and I worked out, it would be invigorating. Now if I push too hard it’ll wipe me out for the rest of the day. I’ve learned to just listen to my body each day and go from there,but I can manage quite a bit now.

I too was unable to exercise for a little while upon my diagnosis. This lead to weight gain. However, I’m happy to report that once I got back to exercising (running, elliptical, weight lifting) I actually felt better and started to see my dizziness improve. As suggested by others, it’s good advice to start out slow and gradually build it back. I’m essentially back to a normal exercise routine (5 days a week) within about 2 months. I also take 400 mg of Magnesium and 400 mg of CoQ10 daily, which has helped tremendously. Good luck!

2 Likes