Drink, drink and be merry: how are you with alcohol and MAV?

Hi Everybody

How do you all get on with alcohol, with your condition(s)?

i didn’t touch a drop when i was really bad, but as i have been getting better, i have got back into social drinking, and even some heavy drinking sessions (i.e. tequila shots in a nightclub).

for me it goes like this: after 1-2 drinks i feel less weird/wobbly, or perhaps i just stop noticing that i feel weird and wobbly. after a few more drinks i just feel drunk like i was a drunk normal person. (I am on pizotifen by the way). even after a lot of drinks i just feel drunk, not dizzy, not weird in the head, not wobbly.

next day i have a usual kind of hangover, perhaps not as bad as it might have been (does the pizotifen stop the headache, i wonder?). then 2nd day after drinking i usually get a ‘bad’ day, with tinnitus, fuzzy, ringing head, some imbalance, not functioning properly.

this ‘bad’ day seems exactly like a bad day that i might get randomly or triggered by excessive work/travelling etc.

as it’s nearly christmas time, and the social calendar is on red alert, i though it would be interesting to hear how others get on with alcohol…???

Strict abstinence from alcohol from my end. A rare beer does not hurt. I cheat on coffee more regularly. Tried strong coffee on two of my relatively good days and one days set off a mild migraine and on the other day really no terrible feeling.

There is only one way to find out …

But in my experience drinking REALLY messes with ear chemistry and should he avoided. I relaxed one night recently and had a terrible hangover the following day.

I was never a big alcohol drinker but a few years ago when I was having dizziness episodes on a weekly basis, I drank one glass of red wine and afterwards out of control dizziness started and I vomited for hours. I have practiced abstinence ever since because it was such a horrible experience.

1 Like

Along the same lines, last spring I had a lot of back pain and got a prescription for muscle relaxants from the doctor. Big mistake. I only took one, when I was at work one day, and within a couple of hours had spinning vertigo that caused me to fall.

Now there are other times when I have the same type of vertigo, but I’ve got to assume that in that particular instance the muscle relaxant probably played a role. Its effect may be similar to the effect of alcohol on the brain.

Hi there. I don’t really drink at all, but then I am usually driving somewhere anyway. I think I have had one or maybe two alcoholic drinks this year. I don’t want to risk making myself dizzy if I am not, and if I am I don’t feel like drinking anyway. Plus I keep changing medications and I probably shouldn’t anyway, but I know you can on some of them.

This is the same thing for me. One or two drinks usually help to reduce the dizziness. With more drinks I’m a normal drunk person with no MAV dizziness. Alcohol is a powerful vasodilatator, this is maybe one of the reason.

But it cannot be a solution because it maintains the vicious circle of the migraine with vascular dilatations and spasms (and also because of the other side effect of the alcohol…).